• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Switching between 2d and 3d clients.

M

Moreeg

I downloaded the Mondain client (pretty much to see what it looked like), and though I selected 3d, it loaded to 2d client. I wanted to see the 3d client, and Im wondering if there is a way to switch back... because I cant find it, and my search of the forums here hasnt helped. I wont even discuss the results of searching UO.com...

S

Shotgun

UO doesnt support the 3d client anymore, they dropped it awhile back when they came out with the Kingdom Reborn client so now you have a choice of 2d or the KR client

M

Mark Knotts

M

Moreeg

Thanks everyone!

I was using the KR client, because it had the 14 day free trial that I used to decide if I wanted to reactivate my account... but I wanted to see the Mondain client as well... the 2d really brings me back!

The thing I dont like about the 2d client, that if I had never tried the KR client, I wouldnt have seen to miss it, is the pack/bag orgainzation. Maybe its dumb but I really love having a squared layout for my pack... and the 3d is nice. I may have got spoiled by all the games Ive played since I left UO.

Thanks again. The UO community was always the best, most helpful community in MMOs, and I think Catskills was always the best of the best!

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will try to research this a bit more...but as I remember Stygian Abyss will eventually take over KR client. I will try to find where I read this and link it.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok...here is what I found so far:

A direct quote from UOGuide is: "A new 3D client based off Kingdom Reborn will be released. It has a working title of simply the "Stygian Abyss client". No mention on whether UO:KR client will be discontinued in preference for the new one." I may have had my lines crossed when I read "No mention" but that fact that they even put that in there has me wondering. If you would like to read that quote for yourself or see more on it, I suggest going here: http://www.uoguide.com/Ultima_Online:_Stygian_Abyss

It indicates that there will even be an area for murders. I wonder if that means the entire dungeon will be in Felluca or if it will be mirrored both Trammel and Fellucca.

Sadly...my firesteed will probably never look as it did in the 3d client. Oops, starting to whine there, I'll stop.

M

Moreeg

I remember reading that as well... I dont have any majoe problems with the KR client, I was just curious. I had heard someone say that there might be a memory leak problem with the KR client, but I cannot confrim of deny that, but I was kind of looking for an alternative in case it becomes problematic.

As long as it performs well, I'll keep using the KR client. I dont PvP (the initial days of force PvP when UO came out soured me on it), so Im not worried about trying to squeeze some extra bit of performance out for an edge on someone. But hey, more power to those who enjoy that ;)

J

Joe_Fisher

Wow, I just installed the KR client and it looks great. The interaction will take some getting used to but I do like the new looks. Thanks for the info on that all!

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was actually experimenting with KR last night. I have lots, and lots, and lots of bad things to say about the KR client. But I will admit it's perks when I see them. If you havn't seen a faction war horse in the KR client yet, you REALLY need to take a look at it. I'll try to grab a screen shot of it for you. The only way it could look better is if they kept the associated faction colors with the horse. But I won't complain. So far its the coolest looking thing I've seen in the KR client so far.

To be honest, I don't want to get to attached to the KR client if there is even a remote chance of them nerfing it for the Stygian Abyss client. When I fist discovered Ultima Online they just came out with the "original" 3d client, and that was all I ever played in. When they nerfed the "original" 3d client I nearly quit playing. I let my account go dormant for a good 6 months because I was so mad. Eventually I missed UO so I came back and adjusted to it. Granted I still miss the 3d client. My favorite thing about the 3d client was the fire steed. It look friggin' sweet. I had hopes that the KR client would make it looked similar to the 3d client, but they didn't. :( So, yeah, I'm kinda afraid of getting attached to the KR client if it may get nerfed in the long run.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, for those that don't know what a faction warhorse is...There are 4 factions, True Britannian's, Concil of Mages, Minax and Shadowlords. Each faction has their own warhorse. Traditonally each of the 4 factions warhorse's have had their own unique color. The faction warhorse's have always had barding. In both the 2d and old 3d client, as I said, the color was unique to the faction. However in the Kingdom Reborn client the warhorses all look the same color, but look the best, at least I think so. For one thing they actually have a SADDLE (hello Dev's, you listening?) something that Ultima Online has long since been lacking. I mean, am I the only one who finds it ironic that there is even a "display saddle" but you can never use one on a horse? Sorry, didn't mean to rant there. Anyway, here is the pics of the Council of Mages warhorse in all the clients.

The 2d CoM warhorse:

The 3d ShadowLords warhorse:

The KR CoM warhorse:

As I said, I'm glad that the Kingdom Reborn client finally added a saddle to the horse. Even if its only on the faction horse :mad: Hopefully the SADDLE will be added to the horse in future patches? *sigh*

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought I'd post the this screen shot of all 4 faction horses in the old 3d client. Which, sadly, no longer exists. From left to right is the ShadowLords, Minax, Council of Mages and True Britannian's warhorses.

The barding on the KR client warhorse is friggin' sweet. I just wish the color of the barding would compliment the faction its with as the other clients did. But I'm not gonna' complain much. I'm just happy a horse finally has a saddle. :D

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
unfortunately my computer is too old to run KR even though I play wow, KR just freezes up after a few mins of play time.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
unfortunately my computer is too old to run KR even though I play wow, KR just freezes up after a few mins of play time.
Have you updated your video card drivers and directx lately? And, if you have an AMD Dual Core processor, have you installed the AMD dual core optimizer?

Lots of people who initially found KR unplayable can run it amazingly well after doing those steps (unfortunately, not everybody can though). If, after doing that, KR is still unplayable, hopefully the "SA Client" update will be enough to make it playable for you.

M

Moreeg

Have you updated your video card drivers and directx lately? And, if you have an AMD Dual Core processor, have you installed the AMD dual core optimizer?

Lots of people who initially found KR unplayable can run it amazingly well after doing those steps (unfortunately, not everybody can though). If, after doing that, KR is still unplayable, hopefully the "SA Client" update will be enough to make it playable for you.

This is true.

I also played WoW and LOTRO (which have much higher requirements), but KR crashed for me, which didnt make sense. But I updated my video drivers and directx, and did the whole defrag thing... and now there are no problems whatsoever!