• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suit Resist Spread Question

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So how I have been doing this is I plug all my artifacts into a spreadsheet and figure out how far from 70 I am. Then I figure out how far away I will be after I add the 5 or 6 base pieces to my suit ( normal leather ), then I calculate the enhancement resist bonuses into that and once again figure how far from 70 in each resist I am. I then take those numbers and divide by the amount of pieces I can mod in my suit, and end up with basically what I need in each category to have all 70s.

So for instance

I now know that I need to craft 5 studded leather pieces that Need exactly these resists when made out of normal Leather 2,4,11,10,9. After enhancing I will have the last 3 resist categories already at 70 with 0 imbues. So now I play UO lottery with sewing kits. I am up to 20k leather spent and I still don't have a single usable piece( I got one that had the 11 and 10 flipped). There has got to be a better way no ?

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Doing a search on Stratics, just gets me tons of posts about people wanting to sell them. I am guessing its loot but from where ? Anywhere ? Blood elementals etc.. etc.. or is it now the random fodder that drops from peerless like medusa ??

Really wish EA/Mythic/Broadsword/OSI/InsertNextHere would get all the respective info related to end game in one place that was organized. Hodge podge articles and searching for random forum posts make coming back a real nightmare.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep loot on monsters. Things like Scalis, Exodus etc. These can drop the amazing legendary parts which are ideal base items to build a suit around.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
So how I have been doing this is I plug all my artifacts into a spreadsheet and figure out how far from 70 I am. Then I figure out how far away I will be after I add the 5 or 6 base pieces to my suit ( normal leather ), then I calculate the enhancement resist bonuses into that and once again figure how far from 70 in each resist I am. I then take those numbers and divide by the amount of pieces I can mod in my suit, and end up with basically what I need in each category to have all 70s.

So for instance

I now know that I need to craft 5 studded leather pieces that Need exactly these resists when made out of normal Leather 2,4,11,10,9. After enhancing I will have the last 3 resist categories already at 70 with 0 imbues. So now I play UO lottery with sewing kits. I am up to 20k leather spent and I still don't have a single usable piece( I got one that had the 11 and 10 flipped). There has got to be a better way no ?
I think you're overcomplicating things. Think of the resists you need as totals... then shoot for that total.

Trying to get a tunic that is exactly all 5 stats just so is an exercise in leather wasting, as you've found.
Trying to get a tunic that is 2, 4, (9<cold<12), (8<poison<11), (7<energy<10) is actually pretty easy. The greater range you allow on each resist... the better.

Also... don't be so concerned with getting EXACTLY 70s across the board, the key is that you don't want to "waste" an imbue slot because you need to imbue a piece with 4 cold. Consider also the fact that for cold and poison resist in particular 69 and 70 are functionally equivalent.

VERY few things hit hard with cold damage. The hardest hitting cold damager I can think of is a Shadow Wyrm, which has a max melee damage of 35, 100 tactics, and ~1000 str. So 35*1.7*3.4 = 202. Well call it 200 for simplicity. A shadow wyrm does 75% physical, the rest cold - so that's 40 cold damage.

If you have all 70s in resists, and this beast hits you for it's max damage, you'll take 60 damage. I've killed hundreds (thousands?) of these farming hides, and I can tell you, this is dead accurate for their absolute max damage.

If you have 70 physical, but only 68 cold resist, you will take 160 *.3 + 40 * .32 = 48 +12.8 = 61 damage. At 67 you'd take 48 + 13.2 = 61. This is not a deal breaker for me - given that this is somewhat of an extreme case. Against the vast majority of things in the game you can almost totally disregard cold resist.

Magery has only Harm spell, which you probably wouldn't take 1 more damage from until you dropped 5 or more resist. Weaving and Mystic each have a spell - but not many monsters cast these spells. Against a necro caster you'll want to make sure your cold and poison are up there, because a Dark Father (for instance) can land ~30 damage past 70 resist with a wither, and probably similar with poison strike.

You definitely want to ensure Phy, Fire, and Energy are at 70+ - given that there are plenty of things that can drop 25 damage EB and 30 damage flame strikes on you or 60 damage fire breath attacks - past 70 resist, and most things hit with Physical damage.

In summation: don't be so rigid.

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Allright I will try to relax a little with what I will accept. so basically I should just look for a piece that has 2 in physical, 4 in fire ( the two resists I plan on having imbues on ), and whatever ends up in the final 3 as long as in the end it totals 67 or + in the respective categories.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You shouldn't need to imbue 2 resists per piece.

You should be able to get to 70-72 per resist without worry.

What artifacts do you plan to use?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Then the suggestion from DJAd is even more valid. Good mage armor is roughly 1000 times more common to either find as loot or reforge than good melee armor. It should be pretty easy to find someone willing to sell a nice looted arty with 80+ resists and the LMC/LRC/ regens etc that you want.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Roughly 1000 times more common.....would love to see your calculations

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Protector of the battle mage, slither, tangle, folded steel reading
You should consider using kelp leggings, slither, and crimson. that way u would have max hpi, witch is super importand in pvp. (also gives u dci, mr, lrc, lmc,and mr,cf..etc etc)
For some strange reason it seems "harder" to get decent mage gear with hpi.
Also do get an artifact armor piece with uber resist, so u dont "waste" any mods, as suggested by numorous people already.

For resist calcs do you this fine tool http://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/resist

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The reason it's harder to get good mage gear with HPI, which also dovetails with my assertion that good Melee gear is 1000 times rarer, is because of those named groupings.
I tried to type it up my explanation in a logical way, but I didn't like the path it was taking. Maybe I'll put it in a different thread.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There better be some x, and y and Pi r squared involved...or I will be terribly disappointed! :)