• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suit for a T-Hunter

M

Monty Burns

I am rebuilding an old T-Hunter and have gone with a basic Mystic set up...
120 Myst
120 Focus
100 Mage
100 Med
100 Lockpick
100 Cart
100 Mining

Can anyone suggest a suit for this guy, for example do I need MR, FC and FCR?
I am also up for changes to the skill set, I only chose that one as it looked the easiest to get into action with the skills I already had.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Suit? or skill set?

120 Myst
120 Focus
100 Mage
100 Med
100 Lockpick
100 Cart
100 Mining

I am also up for changes to the skill set, I only chose that one as it looked the easiest to get into action with the skills I already had.
I would consider findint the location then head back to your house and stone off Carto for another skill, if oyu also do this oyu could even stone of mining too. I would dig once started move off a step, move back and mark rune, head home anD would look at barding skills, Provo and Music, or hiding and stealth. Hiding and stealth will let you dig and stealth off to a safe distance and use your Rising Colossas.

I know not really a kool design but it will work wounders with those skill sets.

As for a suit MR with MAX resists. I would use jewelry to tweak your suit for each skill set.

:thumbup1:

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Monty! We have come a long ways together and glad to read your post.

Here is the suit I was putting together to make you and other mystics, spell casters, and T-hunters can put in their expert advice.

Artifacts
Pendant of Magi:
10 INT
3 MR
10 LMC
30 LRC

Hat of Magi:
8 INT
4 MR
10 SDI
0/5/9/20/20

Rune Beetle Carapace:
10 Mana
3 MR
15 LMC
5/3/14/3/14

Scrapper's Compendium:
1 FC
1 FCR
10 LMC
25 SDI

Shield of invulnerability
RP 10
DCI 15
Physical resist 8

Shroud of Condemned:
3 HP
5 INT

Talisman needed is something with at least 5 LMC.
You also have a back slot, boots, and earrings if you wanted a few more properties or resists.

The cost is around 8.5 million in artifacts.

Ring:
+15 skill
8 STR
2 INT
20 LRC
2 FCR
weight = 458

Bracelet:
+5 skill
8 STR
20 LRC
1 FC
3 FCR
weight = 447

Imbued leather armor:
Arms/legs:
7 HP
2 MR
15 LRC
2 resist imbues
Base Arms/legs selection pieces
2/4/13/13/3
Imbue
15/15/0/0/0 weight = 200 before enhance
Final after enhance with barbed leather
19/20/15/16/7
Total final weight = 488

Gloves
5 HP
2 MR
3 resist imbues
Base selection piece
2/4/15/11/3
Imbue
15/15/0/0/14 weight = 289 before enhance
Final after enhance with barbed leather
19/20/17/14/21
Total final weight = 496

Resists will be a bit of work I estimate. The three pieces are rare and if I imbue then enhance the resists total on the suit to 70/68/70/69/69. It will probably take me a week and about 10k leather to select the right pieces and get successful enhances. The HP, MR, LRC would be imbued after successful enhancement. There is a little bit of room on the arms and legs for increasing the LRC if the jewelry needs a slight adjustment. Need a decision on how much POF you want on these items.

Total assuming elf
STR 120 + 16 = 136
DEX 10
INT 125 + 25 = 150
HP 158
MANA 20 elf + 150 + 10 = 180
RP 10
DCI 15
MR 16
FC 2
FCR 6
LMC 35 + whatever is on talisman and other accessories.
SDI 35
LRC 100

-Lorax

p.s.
I forgot to ask if you wanted a tricorn hat.

O

Old Man of UO

... Here is the suit I was putting together to make you and other mystics, spell casters, and T-hunters can put in their expert advice....

Shield of invulnerability
RP 10
DCI 15
Physical resist 8
Don't you need wrestling to take advantage of the 15 DCI from the shield? It doesn't really do much for you.

I used the Hat Of Magi and Rune Beetle Carapace, and pieced the rest together with imbuing from leather armor, ending with 30+ LMC, 17 MR and 180 mana. The HOM is the most expensive part of the suit.

Also, use a Mana Phasing Orb talisman with mana regen 1, LMC, LRC if you can find one.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Old Man. Noted.

I thought of another way to get the stats to save some expense of the HoM.

Remove the HoM and Scrapper's. Add in a Tomb of Lost Knowledge.
+15 Magery
8 INT
15 SDI
15 LMC

Take the Orb idea for a MR 1, 10 LRC and add a Shadow Cloak of Rejuvination for MR1. Plus, imbue a helmet or hat with 2 MR, HP 8, and 10 LRC. This would alleviate some work of the crafted pieces to meet the resist requirements since the head piece has additional resists.

Modify the ring to be
+15 skill
8 STR
2 INT
3 FCR
either 12 SDI or 25 Enhanced Potions or another skill

Bracelet changed to:
+5 skill
8 STR
16 LRC
2 FC
3 FCR

Change legs and arms to LRC 17 which brings their weight to 498.

So this change saves about 5 Mill, but gets about the same properties. You also now have +15 magery, maybe 12 more SDI or 25 EP, and 8 more HP. Could almost get rid of an LRC imbue with the +10 LRC orb, but need to find the orb. Maybe there is another change to improve this suit.

-Lorax

O

Old Man of UO

... I thought of another way to get the stats to save some expense of the HoM. ...
Yep, good suggestions. You can also use the Boomstick, Conjurer's Grimoire or one of the invasion spellbooks and get +2 or +3 MR - I prefer the books because it leaves one hand open.

I made a pretty decent mage suit with only imbued leather, no arties, and came up with 100% LRC +16 MR, all 70's resist, +20 LMC and +20 INT. All of that on the leather, no ring or bracelet, and that cost less than 1 mil. A decent mage suit is easier to make that a good dexxer suit.

M

Monty Burns

How important is MR on a suit if you have 120 Focus and 100 Med?

Seems to me that if you are relying on Rising Collosus to do much of the work Focus or Med should be enough?

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget that you can test out suits/templates on Test Center before you put a lot of time and gold into it on your regular shard. I don't think you'll need maxed out MR. I have 10 on my suit and I don't use artifacts to achieve it. MR 10 is plenty and I'm constantly casting rising colossus. You probably could get by with less than that too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't you need wrestling to take advantage of the 15 DCI from the shield? It doesn't really do much for you.
No - DCI is independent of skills.

O

Old Man of UO

No - DCI is independent of skills.
True, but your defense is so low without wrestling or any other melee/ranged skill, that the 15 DCI will do practically nothing for you. At least, that's what I've read elsewhere on Stratics, and may have misunderstood what they meant.

M

Monty Burns

Don't forget that you can test out suits/templates on Test Center before you put a lot of time and gold into it on your regular shard. I don't think you'll need maxed out MR. I have 10 on my suit and I don't use artifacts to achieve it. MR 10 is plenty and I'm constantly casting rising colossus. You probably could get by with less than that too.
It is a good idea as at this stage I have a rough template and I am still trying to figure out whether to switch to Elf or Gargoyle to make better use of the magic based template.
Until I have a finalised race and template I guess making the suit isnt the smartest idea.

I am also undecided on the idea of stoning off cart after decoding the maps to give myself an extra skill as while the idea sounds great I really can't think of a skill I can use and currently I am duoing T6 maps with no real issues at 105 Mystic and 0 Focus.

O

Old Man of UO

It is a good idea as at this stage I have a rough template and I am still trying to figure out whether to switch to Elf or Gargoyle to make better use of the magic based template.
Until I have a finalised race and template I guess making the suit isnt the smartest idea.

I am also undecided on the idea of stoning off cart after decoding the maps to give myself an extra skill as while the idea sounds great I really can't think of a skill I can use and currently I am duoing T6 maps with no real issues at 105 Mystic and 0 Focus.
I don't have a garg character, but one nice advantage they have if you are going to be a Mystic, is that they can fly at mounted speeds without taking a control slot.

As far as skills go, I would ditch the mining. I've found that with practice, you can find the chests as fast as someone with 100 mining. The difference is you have to learn to read map details.

M

Monty Burns

I don't have a garg character, but one nice advantage they have if you are going to be a Mystic, is that they can fly at mounted speeds without taking a control slot.

As far as skills go, I would ditch the mining. I've found that with practice, you can find the chests as fast as someone with 100 mining. The difference is you have to learn to read map details.
I can find the chests ok but once I have found them I tend to back out to maximum range to dig them up thus giving me running room as my connection isnt great to Pacific (180-280ms) I lag a lot when the guardians spawn.

Once I have lost the guardians I then come back and pick them off so mining does serve a purpose in my play style.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
True, but your defense is so low without wrestling or any other melee/ranged skill, that the 15 DCI will do practically nothing for you. At least, that's what I've read elsewhere on Stratics, and may have misunderstood what they meant.
DCI & defense from skills (such as parry) are supposed to work independent from each other, based on everything I've read from devs.

Granted, half the time the devs don't fully understand the systems that were introduced before their tenure on UO.

Example: It took 8 years before the devs realized that they'd never released any info on how Tailor BODs were generated, other than the original design specs, and that they had been implemented quite differently from that original design - making people think that the system was bugged (as the design specs had Tailor BODs working similar to Smith ones, when in actuality Exceptional Tailor BODs were 1 in 3 instead of 50/50, and spined BODs being more common than normal leather (with cloth & leather adding up to well over 50%), unlike the expected 50/50 ratios that smith BODs have).

It also doesn't help matters that most mages have one of the following:

1. A mage weapon instead of a book (giving them defense and minor offense)
2. Wrestling (ditto)
3. Eval Int + Book & shield in hand (giving them some defensive capability, even if the Anatomy half of the (Evat+Anat-20)/2 defense equation is missing; 120 Eval, with no anatomy, is equivalent to 50 wrestling defense; 60 if human), since most wielded books are done so for SDI, which only affects spells whose power are based on Eval.

The above template doesn't fall into any of these.

Perhaps the DCI question needs to be asked in Ask the Devs, since they appear to be answering questions again.

O

Old Man of UO

... Perhaps the DCI question needs to be asked in Ask the Devs, since they appear to be answering questions again.
Those are good examples. Using the Swords of Prosperity makes a huge difference getting hit or not, essentially giving me 115 swords skill. Using your example, it seems to me that with a spellbook/shield equipped and no true wrestling skill, the 60 defensive is so much lower than the Guardians 100+ wrestling skill that you're going to get hit whether you have that shield on or not. It certainly doesn't hurt to carry the shield - unless you need to drink a potion in a hurry.

I'm not saying I'm an expert on DCI and these matters, just asking questions based on what I've read from others. I'll have to find the old postings showing how skills and DCI work together, because I really don't understand how it works very well. Once I have a better understanding, then ya it makes sense to post an intelligent question on DCI to Ask The Devs.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, good suggestions. You can also use the Boomstick, Conjurer's Grimoire or one of the invasion spellbooks and get +2 or +3 MR - I prefer the books because it leaves one hand open.
The boomstick is only one handed.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Suit? or skill set?

I would consider findint the location then head back to your house and stone off Carto for another skill, if oyu also do this oyu could even stone of mining too. I would dig once started move off a step, move back and mark rune, head home anD would look at barding skills, Provo and Music, or hiding and stealth. Hiding and stealth will let you dig and stealth off to a safe distance and use your Rising Colossas.
Sounds like a treasure hunter wuss method. Who would ever come up with such a thing?

*shakes head in disbelief*

G

Green Mouser

120 Myst
120 Focus
100 Mage
100 Med
100 Lockpick
100 Cart
100 Mining

I know not really a kool design but it will work wounders with those skill sets.

As for a suit MR with MAX resists. I would use jewelry to tweak your suit for each skill set.

Why stone it off? The Legendary Mystic Thunter is more than Powerful enough to hunt anything in the chests.

Poster...I wouldnt waste time stoning skills this template rocks! I would use a crystalline ring and go 120 Magery and 100 Real Focus.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

120 Myst
120 Focus
100 Mage
100 Med
100 Lockpick
100 Cart
100 Mining
Why stone it off? The Legendary Mystic Thunter is more than Powerful enough to hunt anything in the chests.

Poster...I wouldnt waste time stoning skills this template rocks! I would use a crystalline ring and go 120 Magery and 100 Real Focus.[/quote]

Note that since 105 mining is no better than 100....

Go 85 real mining, use Mining Gloves +5 (Imbue, then enhance - may take a few attempts to get a good pair) and a Jacob's Pickaxe (from the New Haven Mining quest) wielded for the dig - when you cast your invis, it will pop out of your hand, and you can hit a macro to equip your spellbook.

One can Imbue Jewelry with Mysticism, Focus, and Magery on them, with two other properties. Then, there's bonuses possible on the book (note that without Eval, you don't need SDI, so get a good crafted book with magery & med, or magery with something else like FC, FCR or LRC).

This could look like (real/with equipment)

105/120 Myst (+15 on one jewelry)
105/120 Focus (+15 on one jewelry)
105 /120 Mage (+15 ToT or Halloween book, or +10 crafted book and Alchemy talisman)
100 Med
100 Lockpick
100 Cart
85/100 Mining (+5 gloves, imbued for other properties, such as mage armor, LRC and resists, plus a held Jacob's pickaxe - swapped to book at end of dig)

700 Real Skill + Equipment, so even a new account could do it (and maybe low enough real skill to add Eval, if you make 2 3-skill jewels and a good book with skill properties).

M

Monty Burns

I probably should point out that the account is an old one and I do have the full 720 skill points.
- I also have picked up a +20 Stat scroll.
- I have both a 120 Mystic and Focus scroll as well.

My current skill set is:
111.1 - Mystic.
100 - Magery
100 - Med
100 - Lockpick
100 - Cartography
100 - Mining
100 - Eval Int.
--------------------
711.1 - Total Points
--------------------

I plan to get Mystic to 120 then stone off Eval and replace it with Focus (using Jewelry to take it 120).

I can also see some advantage in raising my Magery through Jewelry.

This toon has been sitting dormant for at least 3-4 years so I really have no idea what the following items are/mean:
- Jacob's pickaxe
- +15 ToT or Halloween book.
But will look them up.

Also I am still debating the benefits of MR given that I will have Focus and Med at 100 or better (I assume that mana recover will use the highest of either of these skills).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You might know what the ToT book is, if you were only gone 4 or less years - The Tome of Lost Knowledge spellbook from the Treasures of Tokuno event (which has occurred 3 times, the first in 2005). The "Halloween spellbook" is the Conjurer's Grimoire, IIRC, which was basically a Tome, with one of the properties replaced by "Undead Slayer", that was from an event while you were gone.

Jacob's Pickaxe is a 20-use pickaxe that regenerates charges, from a New Haven quest, that gives +10 mining when held. Of course, when you're holding it, you can't dig with other tools.

Mana recovery uses BOTH skills, not one or the other. The MR from the two skills stacks.

M

Monty Burns

Ok so with both Med and Focus is MR useful, I am doing T6 maps currently (group of 2-3) and not noticing a mana shortage with just Med.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of course, also remember that unlike Med, Focus isn't hampered by non-medable armor, so it gives you more options for armor.

Technically, for a human (not that many people play human anymore), the best armor for a person not needing med armor is studded or bone, as they have one more resist than all other human-wearable types as their base resist. One of these days I need to experiment with such a suit.

M

Monty Burns

Of course, also remember that unlike Med, Focus isn't hampered by non-medable armor, so it gives you more options for armor.

Technically, for a human (not that many people play human anymore), the best armor for a person not needing med armor is studded or bone, as they have one more resist than all other human-wearable types as their base resist. One of these days I need to experiment with such a suit.
I think the only reason I have currently for being Human (other than the fact he was made before Elves and Gargoyles were added) is the Jack of all Trades ability but I am tempted to head down the Elf path as I can not see the point in the Gargoyles ability with 120 Mystic anyway.

O

Old Man of UO

Ok so with both Med and Focus is MR useful, I am doing T6 maps currently (group of 2-3) and not noticing a mana shortage with just Med.
Running solo on lvl 6 maps, high MR is a must, but you can get by without meditation. Just wait until you get a couple of Greater Dragon Guardians who like to dispel everything, then you will wish you had more mana. MR with med cuts my time at a chest killing off the Guardians because I can cast offensively, rather than just standing back waiting for the Rising Colossus to do all the work.

M

Monty Burns

Running solo on lvl 6 maps, high MR is a must, but you can get by without meditation. Just wait until you get a couple of Greater Dragon Guardians who like to dispel everything, then you will wish you had more mana. MR with med cuts my time at a chest killing off the Guardians because I can cast offensively, rather than just standing back waiting for the Rising Colossus to do all the work.
I have to admit I have found Rising Colossus to be less than effective at killing but I have put that down to having no Focus currently, one option I have been looking at was the possibility of replacing Meditation with MR on the suit and keeping Eval Int for offensive casting.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I noted earlier, with the right jewelry and other skill-gain equipment, you could get both max Eval and Focus on your suit, with the rest in med, or Max Focus and Med, with the rest in Eval.

Because of SDI and MR, being max in Med or Eval isn't as important - but max Focus still is, for Mysticism.

M

Monty Burns

As I noted earlier, with the right jewelry and other skill-gain equipment, you could get both max Eval and Focus on your suit, with the rest in med, or Max Focus and Med, with the rest in Eval.

Because of SDI and MR, being max in Med or Eval isn't as important - but max Focus still is, for Mysticism.
Yeah but I am still not certain how to configure my skill set and suit to achieve this (which I think was the original purpose of the thread), my aim was to get my old T-Hunter up and running as quickly as possible and I think I have done this but now I am trying to put the finishing touches on him and I don't think I have it quite right somehow.

By my calculations I can drop Mining to 85 and use +5 Mining gloves and Jacobs Pick Axe to get to 100, this buys me 15 points for Focus but I can not see how I can keep both Med and Eval as this would leave me over the 720 skill cap (excluding Jewelry and Armour)...

120 - Mystic
120 - Focus
100 - Eval Int
100 - Med
100 - Cart
85 - Mining (15 from addon components)
100 - Lockpick
100 - Magery
----------------
825 - Total
----------------
Leaving 105 points to be attained from equipment.

Is this even achievable?

Also given the impending release of T7 maps I assume both Lockpicking and Cartography will have to go to 120 as well?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can Imbue Jewelry with Mysticism, Focus and Magery, plus two other properties, if it will fit your suit. There's also a talisman that has +5 Magery, and Enhance Potions.

Spell books can have Magery up to +12 (I believe) on them, crafted. 2 Event spellbooks have +15 magery on them (and the Tome of Lost Knowledge, from Treasures of Tokuno, is fairly cheap).

You could have as much as 110 skill from Jewelry, Talisman and spellbook, but odds are your suit would suffer in some areas.

However, unless you're going to be spamming damage spells, Eval isn't important.

Eval Int is NOT needed for any of the following (it may influence some, but isn't absolutely necessary for success):

a. Healing & curing spells, as well as the poison spells and resurrection (effect based on your Magery skill)
b. All Summons (6 of the other 7 8th circle spells, plus blade spirits and create food)
c. Travel spells (recall, gate travel, Mark, teleport)
d. Dispel/Mass Dispel/Dispel Field (Magery skill-based, IIRC, at least for your own summons)
e. person-affecting non-stat spells (Night Sight/Invisibility/Reveal/polymorph/incognito)
f. defensive spells (protection, arch protection, reactive armor, magic refection, which are affected by inscription)
g. magic lock, unlock, telekinesis (and the second is usually trumped by lockpicking)
h. Mind blast (and magic arrow? UO page says it's affected by insscription not eval).
i. Most Field Spells (except Paralysis field?)

What it does affect:
I. The 4 curses (curse, and the 3 first level spells it emulates)
II. the 4 buffs (Bless, and the 3 second level spells it emulates)
III. Most Damaging spells that are area or targeted: harm, fireball, Lightning bolt, chain lightning, meteor swarm, energy Bolt, Earthquake, flamestrike, paralyze, Explosion, Paralysis field.
IV. Mana Drain & Mana Vampire

Final summary:
Eval is only needed for 21 of the 64 spells, and if you're going to be using Magery for Summons, healing and travel, and not for spamming damage, you don't even need it.

Even Mind Blast, which is lower level and doesn't require eval, does comparable cold damage at 120 magery and 125 Int stat, to what E-bolt does as electrical damage with 120 magery, 100 eval and 100 Inscription. And, of course, you won't have inscription.

So, many people who use magery primarily for the Summons, travel and healing (most T-hunter templates, especially Bard and tamer variants) don't have Eval at all. after all, most level 5-7 map creatures have Resist Spells skills at GM, Legendary, or even higher (I've seen wild Greater Dragons in the mid to high 130s). Trying to have an appreciable effect on stuff like that even at 120 Eval, is almost impossible. That's typically a Disco-Bard's area, reducing the defenses (then letting pets, summons or other spawn do the grunt work)

One of the common jokes is - "If you're worrying about having Eval to cast attack spells on an Ancient Wyrm, you're WAY too close."