• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suit building

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been revamping my suit and was contemplating a change and wanted to get some more experienced folks opinion.

I was thinking about moving away from the mace and shield and incorporating HLD on the weapon. The mace and shield glasses seem limited to me. My idea is to run double axes with hml, hsl, hll, hld, and di. By making this change I can build a suit as follows:

150/140
139/193
90/90

75 all resists(80 energy)
30ssi 45 hci 20 dci +30 skill points (parry)
I also would have 2 slots left on my jewels to do whatever I want with.
I also have a set of cameos for the slayer mod.

Are there any unforseen issues with this setup that I'm not seeing?

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are you trying to do with ur samp? If you're doing champ spawns, I'd keep the hld on my glasses and put hit area on the wpn.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are you trying to do with ur samp? If you're doing champ spawns, I'd keep the hld on my glasses and put hit area on the wpn.
More for soloing things like Narvey. After some adjusting I have this setup:

150/140
149/203
90/90

20ssi 100di 45 hci 20 dci 75 resists 40 lmc

Weapons will be double axes (100 elemental) with HSL HML HLL HLD HLA

I get 100 di from suit. Also no HLD on suit. Also cameo set for slayer

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

150/140
149/203
90/90

For narvey all you need is 2 newbie chars that can hide.
Start:
Log on shard A on Acc A
Do the rocks.
Hide
Log on shard B on Acc B
Do the rocks
Hide
Goto start
Guess i saved you a few millions there :)
PS can also be done with just 1 account.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Start:
Log on shard A on Acc A
Do the rocks.
Hide
Log on shard B on Acc B
Do the rocks
Hide
Goto start
Thanks for the info. I've done narvey solo quite often. Just tweaking my suit and just wanted folks opinion on the M&S glasses. 50 HLD on weapon I'm thinking should be (and coincidentally so far has been) just as effective. Funny note I think I've used the rocks once out of many MANY (does best comadant Lasards voice) times of doing narvey.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the glasses and a weapon only do the "proc" and the rest is just math behind the screen, 50% on the weapon should trigger better than the 30% on the glasses obviously though.

I've been looking at rebuilding my stuff also, it is very outdated. I'm debating about going full plate and staying human for the small stam regen from JOAT focus and replacing HSL with mana drain or hit fatigue. I found this sword the other day and have found it to be handy. Silly Sword.png

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

150/140
149/203
90/90

Unless you're running Honor or EoO on Navrey, you won't get close to the 300% Damage Cap with just 100% DI and Arachnid Slayer Cameo. That's only +200% Damage. 100% DI + Spider Slayer Double Axe would be +300% Damage, even without Honor or EoO. With +300% Damage, 100% Fire Double Axe and Onslaught+DS spam, you probably won't even need HLL on your Navrey wep. Any time she webs you, just equip and unequip some Stone Boots to break the webbing, then keep swinging.

Start:
Log on shard A on Acc A
Do the rocks.
Hide
Log on shard B on Acc B
Do the rocks
Hide
Goto start
Noone gets credit for the damage inflicted by the rocks, so no Tangle drop chance then.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you're running Honor or EoO on Navrey, you won't get close to the 300% Damage Cap with just 100% DI and Arachnid Slayer Cameo. That's only +200% Damage. 100% DI + Spider Slayer Double Axe would be +300% Damage, even without Honor or EoO. With +300% Damage, 100% Fire Double Axe and Onslaught+DS spam, you probably won't even need HLL on your Navrey wep. Any time she webs you, just equip and unequip some Stone Boots to break the webbing, then keep swinging.

Noone gets credit for the damage inflicted by the rocks, so no Tangle drop chance then.
I think you are missing the point.
My point is you don't need a 300million gold suit to do narvey.
Durability loss alone on such a suit does not make narvey worth it at all, even if you get a tangle now and then (and yes they do drop from just doing rocks)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you are missing the point.
My point is you don't need a 300million gold suit to do narvey.
Durability loss alone on such a suit does not make narvey worth it at all, even if you get a tangle now and then (and yes they do drop from just doing rocks)
Nope didn't miss it. Narvey was an example of the encounters I enjoy. I do realize narvey is easy and can be done easily. Was just looking for tips on the suit. I've been soloing critters for some time now :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you kill Navrey without doing any damage yourself, just using the rocks the Tangle will still drop but not in your backpack but it will be on the corpse instead. The drop chance is still there.
Didn't realize that. I had killed Navrey before with just pure rock damage, and noticed that i didn't earn looting rights on the corpse then. So i assumed that it wouldn't drop a Tangle either then. My bad.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well finished updating the suit. Decided to go with 50 HLD on weapons. The gains from a head slot legendary item instead of the M&S are just too enticing. I ended up with this for my final build:

150/140
150/202
090/090

Hci 45
Dci 20
DI 100
Lmc 50
Ssi 20

75/75/75/75/80
Slayer on cameo. HLD on weapons (50)

Weapons are going to be 100% elemental double axes. Figuring three sets. Base weapons stats will be HLD, HML, HSL, HLL. Then I'll just make each set with slayer, HLA, or area effect. That should allow me to participate in a wider range of encounters.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well finished updating the suit. Decided to go with 50 HLD on weapons. The gains from a head slot legendary item instead of the M&S are just too enticing. I ended up with this for my final build:

150/140
150/202
090/090

Hci 45
Dci 20
DI 100
Lmc 50
Ssi 20

75/75/75/75/80
Slayer on cameo. HLD on weapons (50)

Weapons are going to be 100% elemental double axes. Figuring three sets. Base weapons stats will be HLD, HML, HSL, HLL. Then I'll just make each set with slayer, HLA, or area effect. That should allow me to participate in a wider range of encounters.
With 180 stam+20 ssi you will swing double axe at max speed, what do u need 202 for ?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With 180 stam+20 ssi you will swing double axe at max speed, what do u need 202 for ?
Because the moment your stamina drops below that 180 you are swinging at 1.5. Critters that cast can pop you on spells or other effects that drop stamina. I like to be as far away from that 180 as possible. I've also switched from plate to studded so I'll lose a bit of stamina protection from that change.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am making new suits for my samps and wonder why not go human(JOAT focus) wear plate, and forgo the HSL on the weapon replacing with something like HLA?

@Fridgster you are finding the LMC trade is worth adding HSL, better damage over time?

jcarter

Visitor
Damage Increase and Slayer are on two different calculations.

Damage BONUS includes: Anatomy, Tactics, Lumberjack, Strength, and Damage Increase (from items); This bonus caps at 300% (you can get 296.25% if you have 120 tactics, 120 anatomy, 150 STR and 100 DI).

Damage MODIFIER includes: Slayer, Perfection, Enemy of One, Consecrate Weapon, etc. This MODIFIER caps at 300%, but even at +0 modifier, you are at 100% (base damage). Lesser slayer gives +200% (cap), Super slayer +100%, 120 chiv EoO +82%, max perfection +100%, etc.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am making new suits for my samps and wonder why not go human(JOAT focus) wear plate, and forgo the HSL on the weapon replacing with something like HLA?

@Fridgster you are finding the LMC trade is worth adding HSL, better damage over time?
HSL has always been a mainstay on my weapons even when using plate armor. If you drop down below your 1.25 it effects all your leeches so it's incredibly important to keep that swing speed optimum. As far as being an elf I go that route for the extra mana (10 inherent if I recall) and their ability to wear both human and elf gear. Plus permanent night sight and additional energy cap makes the elf an attractive choice.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Female elf. Anything else for a sampire, doesn't really make sense.
This is not true, i agree that its good to go female for the armor parts, and u can do semidar.
Having JOAT have saved my ass many times in fel, tracking and hiding even at 20 is very usefull.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because the moment your stamina drops below that 180 you are swinging at 1.5. Critters that cast can pop you on spells or other effects that drop stamina. I like to be as far away from that 180 as possible. I've also switched from plate to studded so I'll lose a bit of stamina protection from that change.
You are shooting birds with cannon balls here m8.
185-190 is more than enough, i usually roll with 185 stam and i have 0 stam issues, i have 3 metal, and 3 studd pieces in most of my suits.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are shooting birds with cannon balls here m8.
185-190 is more than enough, i usually roll with 185 stam and i have 0 stam issues, i have 3 metal, and 3 studd pieces in most of my suits.
Better overkill than not enough. Besides I like cannonballs. Also remember critters like dreadhorn can drop your stats by 20-25 points. In many cases yes 190 is more than enough but I wanted to build a suit that could be used in as many encounters as possible.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better overkill than not enough. Besides I like cannonballs. Also remember critters like dreadhorn can drop your stats by 20-25 points. In many cases yes 190 is more than enough but I wanted to build a suit that could be used in as many encounters as possible.
Does people still do dreadhorn ?
Last time i soloed dreadhorn i used a fully imbued suit, no ssi juwels, no cameo no OP gear, no fey slayer, man that was good times.
But then the devs screwed us over with free CCs to faction, and i havent done peerlesses ever since.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does people still do dreadhorn ?
Last time i soloed dreadhorn i used a fully imbued suit, no ssi juwels, no cameo no OP gear, no fey slayer, man that was good times.
But then the devs screwed us over with free CCs to faction, and i havent done peerlesses ever since.
I use dreadhorn as a litmus test for my suits. I also sometimes like to slap him around a bit just to show him who's boss. The goal for me anyway, is not usually about what the critter drops. Sometimes I just want to kill things. Besides I have a bad habit of giving things away. I'd be a terrible millionaire in real life!!!

Sadly fey slayer no longer works on DH.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you have HLD on your glasses, don't put it on your wpn.
Why wouldn't you run both? From what I've read it stacks in a way to increase your chance of HLD. If that is wrong I'm interested in hearing why this doesn't work.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why wouldn't you run both? From what I've read it stacks in a way to increase your chance of HLD. If that is wrong I'm interested in hearing why this doesn't work.
The % only increases the chance of hld going off. Since the effect lasts 8 seconds even at 50% that should be enough to keep the target under hlds' effect for the duration of the battle.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The % only increases the chance of hld going off. Since the effect lasts 8 seconds even at 50% that should be enough to keep the target under hlds' effect for the duration of the battle.
But that's the point isn't it? I want a greater chance of hld going off.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess it depends on what stats you need on your gear. I agree I wouldn't skip other needed stats to get the hld stacked on the helm and weapon. But for my suit it's just extra.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But that's the point isn't it? I want a greater chance of hld going off.
Way I figure it is this. The effect last 8 seconds. Each time hld hits it resets that 8 second timer. So at 1.25 swing speed I'll have 6 swings to reset the hld timer. With 50% hld even with a bad rng run, I should hit to reset the timer before it runs out.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use dreadhorn as a litmus test for my suits. I also sometimes like to slap him around a bit just to show him who's boss. The goal for me anyway, is not usually about what the critter drops. Sometimes I just want to kill things. Besides I have a bad habit of giving things away. I'd be a terrible millionaire in real life!!!

Sadly fey slayer no longer works on DH.
i find the bone daemon to be a better test, but hey thats just me :)

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To the peeps askin what specifics to run, I'd really consider making your sampire pretty modular to start out. Mostly gm skills, that way you can swap stuff around to tweak it to your playstyle. At the minimum, I'd suggest getting 120 swords and bush. I'd def save money and buy 110 resist, anat, whatever the h*ck else.

Kaio, what have you fought with a sampire where hiding has saved you? If you really need that ability, you can use invis pots or turkey feathers.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cork, as was stated earlier, it lasts forever. You really shouldn't need to double stack it at all. Make sure you are 45 hci and 120 wpn skill and just use the 30 hld glasses/plate helm.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cork, as was stated earlier, it lasts forever. You really shouldn't need to double stack it at all. Make sure you are 45 hci and 120 wpn skill and just use the 30 hld glasses/plate helm.
@chester rockwell curious, have you experimented with dropping the glasses in exchange for another legendary piece to work with on the headslot? I was able to work in DI into my suit pretty easily with the feudal grips. Then I put in 44 hld on my weapon in place of DI. I found building a suit with that extra legendary head slot a LOT easier.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@chester rockwell curious, have you experimented with dropping the glasses in exchange for another legendary piece to work with on the headslot? I was able to work in DI into my suit pretty easily with the feudal grips. Then I put in 44 hld on my weapon in place of DI. I found building a suit with that extra legendary head slot a LOT easier.
Yeah. I've changed my sampire around a crap ton over the years. All diff levels of skills and what not. I mainly do fel champ spawns. Don't really care about the peerless encounters.
For myself, I like having all the slots free on a craftable wpn. Di, hld, slayer, ssi, are all on my suit.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you can stuff it on your suit, it makes no sense to me to jack up a wpn slot. The weapon is the most valuable and malleable part of a samp's suit for every encounter. Flexibility matters.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you can stuff it on your suit, it makes no sense to me to jack up a wpn slot. The weapon is the most valuable and malleable part of a samp's suit for every encounter. Flexibility matters.
I've always worked the opposite. With the setup I have now, I should be able to tackle anything a sampire should be able to do. Unfortunately the human element is not nearly as effective.

Still wanna hear about how hiding has saved you and how trackin helped you as a sampire.
I'm guessing to avoid pvpers. Frankly I don't think I personally would bother.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still wanna hear about how hiding has saved you and how trackin helped you as a sampire.
I was doing a spawn on my sampire, with a friend who was also on a sampire. He killed champ and i protected.
We killed the champ, and red came to raid us, it was in fire dungeon, 1 guy chased me and the other chased my friend. i fought the guy that was attacking me, till my splinter kicked in, so he was slowed, then i ran to the stairs to the level below and used hiding, so my char was hidden, like 2 sec after the red guy came down stairs, and ran past me, then i ran upstairs and escaped to serp hold.

Tracking helps when u kill the champ, then you can track if there is any thieves around.
Taking the spellweaving quest is also good, then you can use gift of renewal for though situations as in when you get raided.
Spellweaving is also usefull in the guardian room in doom, them u can spam those angry bee things, so that u get more guardians to kill.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The effect does not stack with itself, percentage hit chance from items is multiplied, not added. example item 1 has 50% hld, item 2 has 30% hld, total hld = 65%

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The effect does not stack with itself, percentage hit chance from items is multiplied, not added. example item 1 has 50% hld, item 2 has 30% hld, total hld = 65%
Doesn't each item had it's own "tick", the glasses trigger separately from the weapon or I thought a dev member said some number of years back....I can't really think of any of the major samp build threads ever saying it was different. This is why they don't stack on each other, or so I thought.....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If that is correct (and a search of both uoguide and the uo wiki it is) then adding both makes little sense considering the return is only ~15% increase by adding the glasses.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't each item had it's own "tick", the glasses trigger separately from the weapon or I thought a dev member said some number of years back....I can't really think of any of the major samp build threads ever saying it was different. This is why they don't stack on each other, or so I thought.....
I remember this being posted as well.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are quite a few people that would argue this fact with you. I personally do not know 100% either way. I'm just basing it on what a lot of other more experienced people have told me. I find when it comes to Sampires build and gear there are a hundred different opinions and everyone thinks they are right. Makes it difficult to know for sure what you should or shouldn't be doing.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are quite a few people that would argue this fact with you. I personally do not know 100% either way. I'm just basing it on what a lot of other more experienced people have told me. I find when it comes to Sampires build and gear there are a hundred different opinions and everyone thinks they are right. Makes it difficult to know for sure what you should or shouldn't be doing.
Oh man, definitely. I 100% agree with that. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but just going by the numbers of how long the spell lasts. 8 secs for hld, one swing/hit every 1.25, 30% of those it will proc.....even with a miss here and there, the HLD will be almost perma-on the target. I run HLD on my glasses, and for some things, HLA on my wpns. My wpn HLA is 50% and HLA lasts for 5 seconds. Not 100% sure on that lenght, but it's less than HLD from what I recall.

So, if you NEED hld, put it on ur glasses and put hla on your wpn. If either HLD or HLA is up and the other is down, then it's a wash. If both are active, then it's a better scenario. You will never have both active if you put HLD on your wpn and your suit. There won't be enough mods available for the weapon.

So, more concisely,
HLD and HLA on samp, at least one will almost always be active. Majority of the time both will be active.

HLD on glasses and wpn, you have a small-ish higher percent chance to have HLD not wear off.....and will never have HLA.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I only put HLD on my weapon because I had nothing else to really put on it. I don't use HLA on my Sampire except for very specific scenarios like Rikktor. I want my target to hit me so it goes through all the checks for things like counter attack and whatnot.