• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestion: Massive Bank/Inventory Space Boost

How many storage/bank slots do you think are "reasonable"?

• Total voters

PhelimReagh

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
During this Alpha period, I'm finding that I am spending way too much time trying to manage the massive amount of stuff I have, want, will need, etc., but have next to no storage space. While I think the game should permanently address this, at the very least, we need to take that annoying concern off the table during the Alpha testing period.

For example, in RuneScape, a game that has a lot of skills, though only a fraction of what PG does, you get close to 600 bank slots (with no cap on how many of each item you can have). You can purchase more bank space from their store, but subscribers have a decent amount of room (still not nearly enough) to store their goods, potions,, gear, materials, quest stuff, etc. Then, in PG, we have to deal with all of our equipped items STILL in our inventory slots.

Please, I beg of you, give us a massive 500-1,000 slot bank/storage space, even temporarily, so we can try out more and more skills/content, and not be stuck dropping 80% of what we loot, even when we know we will need it sooner or later. We can't really put the game through it's paces as effectively as we'd like with this problem. Especially since almost all the other time spent in game is just getting from point A to point B, sprinting along.

It really sucks the life out of me when I log in and I have to figure out how I'm going to free up 5 or 6 inventory slots, and then spend the rest of game time constantly managing those half dozen "free-ish" spaces.

Facekillz058

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm not even so sure a flat boost like this is necessary, but a 'bag' system like other MMOs would be nice to have, where I can upgrade my inventory space with larger backs as I progress through the game to accommodate my growing horde of items. It would also be nice to be able to buy multiple bank slots at a time instead of just one, it's kinda tedious.

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
personaly I think we have enough now if we utilize all the space given to us and not just what's convenient. that said i'ld agree with what facekillz said in adding a purchasable, craftable, earnable bag system to the game. could make it so belts had "bag slots" higher tiers had more slots. and then make the bags (tier 1-3 in drops, tier 3-6 gotten threw quests, and tier 1-10 gotten threw crafting) be able to be placed in your belt.

The bags themselves could be opened/used threw your persona page equip tab OR could simply increase your inventory slots (though I prefer the first as its more realistic)

sizes of bag
tier 1: 4 slots
tier 2: 6 slots
tier 3: 10 slots
tier 4: 15 slots
tier 5: 20 slots
tier 6: 30 slots
tier 7: 40 slots
tier 8: 60 slots
tier 9: 75 slots
tier 10: 100 slots
(that would be a bag recipe every 5 crafting levels could be a new skills OR could intergrate them into existing skills tailoring, leatherworking, toolcrafting.... )

PhelimReagh

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I appreciate your responses and respect your opinions, but I want to just add some more fuel to my fire.

I love crafting. LOVE it, and that why I have gotten so sucked in by PG. If I see a log or a flower or a fish or whatever, I almost compulsively gather, pick, pluck, skin or whatever I have to do to get that thing. So in addition to having all my equipped gear in my inventory, I have a skinning knife, a shovel, a saw, and god knows whatever else I need to craft. I also have inventory slots taken up for each item I'm gathering. And now, what about QUESTS?

I seem to have like 5-10 Quest items in my inventory at any time as well. That is, in no small part, because I have no idea which NPC is which in game, and with all the quests that I have, I can't keep track.

OK, now I want to go farm while I'm out somewhere, far far away from the meager 18 storage slots I have back in the starter city. I've got to make fertilizer, and have water, so I basically need 6 slots just to farm one item at a time, efficiently.

I just want to stress that such limited inventory and storage/bankspace is painful and tedious, and completely arbitrary. I makes me spend more of my time walking to and from an activity that I'm engaged in and enjoying, to spend time doing stuff that just aggravates me. Especially since I know that this is BY DESIGN.

I understand that some people enjoy borderline punitive challenges like this, since some tend to see MMOs as contests of who can bear the most tedium, then call it "work", and label themselves "hardcore" for dealing with it. On the flip side, those who get tired of it quickly (as I confess I am doing) will soon earn the label "entitled" or "baddie" for wanting things "easier". However, we have to remember that PG is a game, and it is supposed to fun. Yes, it's a niche game that has a distinct challenge level to it (which is what contributes to it's greatness). But this kind of thing, managing inventory, should never be one of the challenges. I cannot see how, in any way, lack of storage enhances gameplay. Yes, it makes it harder, and I realize that there are some folks who like everything to be a pain in the rear because that drives others away and, in doing some, marks those able to bear it as exceptional, after a fashion.

But I have to confess, I'm not going to spend 50% of my gametime walking around from place to place, and then agree to an arbitrary system that forces me to manage inventory for almost the rest of the remaining 50% of the time. And I LIKE these kinds of challenging games. This is such a random and pointless reason to drive folks away, since there is no technical reason to have it, and I can see no in-game/ game-play harm to removing it.

eggsalicious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Not a very constructive OP. Inventory slots are linked to NPC favor and the lack of content in the game, but the P doesn't propose solutions to the problems created by adding so much easy inventory space.

Crafting idea isn't bad, but doesn't adress the problems it will create.

In the interim, yiou can pay toexpad your inventory in Seribule and also ake mules.

PhelimReagh

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What problems do "easy inventory space" create? I can't think of one. Can't hurt the economy, there isn't one.

And expanding your 10 slot bank by adding 1 slot at a time, which costs 50 councils more time each time you do (i.e., your 10th new slot costs 500 councils, 20th 1,000 councils, etc.), that is hardly a solution.

However, since I've noted that everyone who has posted likes having limited inventory space, I'll accept it as a lost cause.

Good luck.

rhonen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Currently we are enjoying a larger number of slots in our inventory due to having to hold all of our gear and tools. The Devs told us that once they get the gear and tools placed on a separate tab or paper doll then our inventory will be somewhat reduced in size. You can purchase additional bank space but it will get more expensive as you gain more slots. You also have storage available to you on several NPC's once you gain their favor. You can also use Mules to store your items. At this time I personally have 14 Mules to hold everything I want to keep. While having so many Mules is a tad cumbersome, I find that the Mule system works quite well for me. I know of a few of the older players actually have Mule accounts so I am not alone in my hording addiction.

While I would not mind having more inventory slots available to use, I also think the Dev's are in the position that they want us to have a smaller inventory not a larger one. From what you OPed I think you are trying to carry everything for every possible task in your characters inventory bag. When you garden, take out everything and store it on a mule and only keep in your inventory the items you need to use for gardening. This will give you a lot more room for empty bottles so you don't have to rush to the well every time you water or fertilize your plants. The idea can be used when doing any of the other crafts and it is extreamely useful when your doing surveys.

I wish you luck on this and please put in a suggestion by using the "!" On the right side of your client if you have not already done so.

Ratero.

Brandon Lamb

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If this game is going to be F2P, then I am okay with a $5-10 account-wide upgrade service to bump up bag slots (across all characters). Otherwise, the other thing I dont mind is like a $5 cash shop bag that is unique per character. Not really pay to win since its just storage, as long as there were player created bags of the same size.

I would prefer the account upgrade option though.

Current limit is definitely not enough. I feel it breaks the immersion if I cannot be out hunting/grinding for very long because my bags fill up so fast.