• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Subscription perks brainstorm

These are just suggestions. The goal would be to have a simple, modernized perk list. And add things that will please vets as well as newcomers to UO. Obviously it has to improve the bottom line. Ultimately EJ purchases in the cash shop + subs need to help revenue grow. The whole point is to make it a win-win: more cool stuff for subscribers, more subscribers for UO.

In terms of marketing, I think UO is one of the best sandbox MMORPGs out there, and a proper presentation of its unique selling points could really help EJ/UO thrive. But that's for another thread.
  • Monthly store credit (200?) (EA Access already allows you to purchase UO stuff 10% cheaper, like sovereigns, by the way. So there is precedent).
  • Daily skill power hour (only on login, one a day, doesn't accumulate) that can be started manually.
  • Luck bonus (250?)
  • Extra title options that display so long you're still subscribed.
  • 10% discount at all player and non-player vendors in-game. To prevent abuse, I would add 10% on top of player vendor prices for EJ, so subbing effectively means 10% off.
I would add the most important current perks (housing, increased bank storage, more character slots) to this list and then have a "much more" point where the smaller stuff is mentioned. I am leaving this out for now as the point of this thread is to brainstorm new perks.

By the way, I think it's vital that whenever EJs try to interact with anything that is restricted, they get an in-game screen listing these perks and a link to subscribe. That way they naturally stumble upon features they'd like and that way you lure them in. For example, you have 125 max storage in bank, as soon as you add item 126, you get the screen: "Subscribe for more bank storage and get all this perks:".

I would also consider a one-time welcoming package/gifts:
  • (returning veterans who re-subscribe) Unique wearable(s) with a unique ghostly hue (transparent like ethereal called "Ghost from the past"). Perhaps a "[Name] returned on [date]" addition?
  • (first time subscribers) Unique wearable(s) with a unique fresh, bright hue called "Fresh meat". Perhaps with a "[name] at [date]".
  • Titles along the lines of the above options.
  • Bag of food with bonuses and potions.
  • A level 5 treasure map that has a special hue and special name, with unique bonus to loot.
I am attaching a screenshot of the current Elder Scrolls Online Plus membership presentation of perks. Please, let's brainstorm about this and not get countless "UO sucks", "The team sucks", "EJ failed out of the gate" type of comments. We get it, you're pessimistic. Doesn't need to be repeated in every thread. :)
screenshot.25.jpg

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These are just suggestions. The goal would be to have a simple, modernized perk list. And add things that will please vets as well as newcomers to UO. Obviously it has to improve the bottom line. Ultimately EJ purchases in the cash shop + subs need to help revenue grow. The whole point is to make it a win-win: more cool stuff for subscribers, more subscribers for UO.

In terms of marketing, I think UO is one of the best sandbox MMORPGs out there, and a proper presentation of its unique selling points could really help EJ/UO thrive. But that's for another thread.
  • Monthly store credit (200?) (EA Access already allows you to purchase UO stuff 10% cheaper, like sovereigns, by the way. So there is precedent).
  • Daily skill power hour (only on login, one a day, doesn't accumulate) that can be started manually.
  • Luck bonus (250?)
  • Extra title options that display so long you're still subscribed.
  • 10% discount at all player and non-player vendors in-game. To prevent abuse, I would add 10% on top of player vendor prices for EJ, so subbing effectively means 10% off.
I would add the most important current perks (housing, increased bank storage, more character slots) to this list and then have a "much more" point where the smaller stuff is mentioned. I am leaving this out for now as the point of this thread is to brainstorm new perks.

By the way, I think it's vital that whenever EJs try to interact with anything that is restricted, they get an in-game screen listing these perks and a link to subscribe. That way they naturally stumble upon features they'd like and that way you lure them in. For example, you have 125 max storage in bank, as soon as you add item 126, you get the screen: "Subscribe for more bank storage and get all this perks:".

I would also consider a one-time welcoming package/gifts:
  • (returning veterans who re-subscribe) Unique wearable(s) with a unique ghostly hue (transparent like ethereal called "Ghost from the past"). Perhaps a "[Name] returned on [date]" addition?
  • (first time subscribers) Unique wearable(s) with a unique fresh, bright hue called "Fresh meat". Perhaps with a "[name] at [date]".
  • Titles along the lines of the above options.
  • Bag of food with bonuses and potions.
  • A level 5 treasure map that has a special hue and special name, with unique bonus to loot.
I am attaching a screenshot of the current Elder Scrolls Online Plus membership presentation of perks. Please, let's brainstorm about this and not get countless "UO sucks", "The team sucks", "EJ failed out of the gate" type of comments. We get it, you're pessimistic. Doesn't need to be repeated in every thread. :)
View attachment 79860

The issue with UO is that they are adding a F2P model without really having the right micro transactions to capture value/money.

Paid items like deco packs and such is not the way to go. You need the entire world to be FREE but limit the amount you can consume content by cost. Example - free account - but $10/month for a house. Free account that can do 1 champ or peerless per day but sell extra peerless or champ passes for say $1 each. Or limit the amount of materials you can collect before you can pay. etc.

Now, I like unlimited subscription but what i'm saying is that is how the other models are in other games. You can pretty much do everything anyone else can but you do it more slowly becasue you are limited. The more you spend, the more you can accomplish. The hard core players will pay more.

Right now you can die as much as you like. Imagine 3 deaths per toon per day or you pay - 5 rezes for $1 or something. At some point this all adds up for the people really using it.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Concept of free to play is not necessarily targeted to increasing what the current subscription members have, but more along the lines of what can they restrict from their current game that would entice a new player/returning vet to become a subscriber. In this case storage and a home are really the big pieces of bait.

I imagine that a game that was designed from the beginning to be a f2p game is a lot easier to balance out than one that was never meant to be one.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh, no. We don' need this. We can have a "Free to play" starter thing but no, we don't need perks like these.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I’d like improvements such as a jewelry chest or armory that stores and sorts like a BOD book. How hard could that be? Rehue existing art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Existing players quit for a whole host of reasons. Ive never heard one yet say the reason they quit was because the sub didnt offer enough perks. Adding a few bells and whistles to what you get for your subscription isnt going to get players who quit to re-subscribe.

For new players, the more perks you offer then I suppose the more likely they are to subscribe. You would no doubt get a few more subscribing if its an attractive enough offer AND they like the game. What you do risk though is the F2P version being so cut back due to all the good stuff being behind a subscription wall that it just turns people away. This however is UO heading as always, blindly down the subscription road and refusing to diversify and adapt. Many players these days do not like the subscription model, they like, they EXPECT a free to play option that is playable, but also gives them the option to pay what they want, when they want.

Bottom line ... UO has always used the subscription model and its failing . Offering a free trial (which we already had albeit bound to 14 days) isnt going to get people to subscribe in any sort of numbers. It beggars belief that people think EJ is the answer to bring in new players who will pay. Whats behind the subscription wall isnt the issue ... its the whole model.