• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stygian Dragon

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Me and a mate decided to have a look round the Stygian Dragon area and see if we could find the keys to enter.

We went to the gate room and used the Stygian Dragon gate and headed west, up some stairs into a temple.

At the western wall there were four altars, which when double clicked asked what you wanted to sacrifice. We headed back out of the temple and went east past the gate.

Not far from the gate we saw some Fairy Dragons. The dragons didn't attack us, but did attack any Wyverns or Fire Daemons nearby. We cast a couple of EVs each and the dragons cast mysticism spells, but they went down easily. Most had new gargoyle wepons and armour, and a few sometimes had a Draconic Orb, which had a timer of +42k seconds.

While collecting the Orbs, we met Sabrina, who joined us in the search for orbs. Once we had four, we went back to the altars and sacrificed one Orb to each altar. A gate appeared in the centre of the four altars and we went through it, teleported to the other side of the wall, where the Stygian Dragon waited.

The Stygian dragon used the 'terror attack' that Crimson dragons use when you get close, and paralyzed us when we first got close to it. It moved fast and hit hard, around 50 - 70 using a suit with 70/70/70/70/65 resists. We cast EVs, Revs and Rising Colossus, which were auto dispelled or killed in 2-3 hits.

After about 5 minutes, it disappeared, we searched the room but couldn't see it, so we left through the exit gate and it was outside by the four altars. By this time, the gate that appeared to gain entry into the room with the Stygian dragon had gone.

Another 10 minutes of running around trying to avoid being hit, and casting spells, hardly doing any damage to it; the dragon disappeared. We searched all over the temple where we could reach, but couldn't find it. We don't know if it went back into the original spawn room or not as we couldn't get back in :(

I lored it as we went in, these are its stats/resists/skills.

I was a fun adventure, shame we couldn't kill it, but we just started off to see how to get in, maybe we'll try again with a bigger group.

Edit: Some things I'd forgotten, it was late and I was tired

Collecting the orbs wasn't as easy as it sounds. It's a random drop from the fairy dragons and although there is quite a few to start with, alot of them got stuck in lava flow areas and pits, making them inaccessible, these areas need sorting out as it's not just fairy dragons that get stuck....

The system works like this..once we killed an 'x' amount of fairy dragons they stopped spawning and wyverns started to spawn instead..once we had killed an 'x' amount of wyverns they stopped spawning and forgotten servants (elves) started to spawn instead....once we had killed an 'x' amount of forgotten servants a mini boss spawned wyvern (renowned).

and yes, once we had killed the boss the process started all over again with fairy dragons spawning once more.
Took 2 'rounds' of the spawn system to get 4 orbs and it wasn't made easy when the boss got stuck down a lava pit!!

As for the dragon, it didn't spawn immediately but once it did it sent out a blanket of fire that covered the whole area i was in.

Found the over hanging balconies to be a pain, cant see any reason for them to be there, just made life hard.

At the north and south ends of the room (under the balconies) there are 2 little alcoves....not sure if they could be used to avoid the dragon tho.

good fun
The forgotten servants attacked negative karma characters, so with being a necro and having lost lots of karma from each fairy dragon, I wasn't there favourite person :D

Some notes on the wyvern (renowned) - It had 3k HP, 160 barding difficulty, used mysticism spells and had a firebreath that hit for 60 HP, this started to do less damage though once we got it down to about 1/4 HP. It had 2.3k gold and junk armour and wepons, which were all human items, didn't see any gargoyle items on it .. but we only killed two and one was in the lava pit and unable to loot.

Hope you find the info useful :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
great info I was there but could not figure out how to use the alter ... now i know thanks

B

Beastmaster

Thanks for the info Odin. I hope the Devs see this and release those are bugs with the gates and dragon going where it pleases.

L

Lady Lovely

A group of friends and I tried the "Medusa's lair" (?) peerless. We figured out the keys and what not went inside and one of our players lost their pet in the entering and when he logged out and in to pull pet as we didn't have pet balls it booted him out of the peerless! On top of that they opened a gate for our group to enter and didn't give us extra keys for left behind players ect. Not sure that this is how it will be live but I sure hope not!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Wow, ouch. Sorry to hear that, Lovely. Now then, as I promised I would do:

Bahahaha!

Hehe. You like it. :p

C

cheerful

Collecting the orbs wasn't as easy as it sounds. It's a random drop from the fairy dragons and although there is quite a few to start with, alot of them got stuck in lava flow areas and pits, making them inaccessible, these areas need sorting out as it's not just fairy dragons that get stuck....

The system works like this..once we killed an 'x' amount of fairy dragons they stopped spawning and wyverns started to spawn instead..once we had killed an 'x' amount of wyverns they stopped spawning and forgotten servants (elves) started to spawn instead....once we had killed an 'x' amount of forgotten servants a mini boss spawned wyvern (renowned).

and yes, once we had killed the boss the process started all over again with fairy dragons spawning once more.
Took 2 'rounds' of the spawn system to get 4 orbs and it wasn't made easy when the boss got stuck down a lava pit!!

As for the dragon, it didn't spawn immediately but once it did it sent out a blanket of fire that covered the whole area i was in.

Found the over hanging balconies to be a pain, cant see any reason for them to be there, just made life hard.

At the north and south ends of the room (under the balconies) there are 2 little alcoves....not sure if they could be used to avoid the dragon tho.

good fun

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

good fun
I knew there were some things I'd forgotten, but it was late, I was tired and my brain refused to work any more :sleep2:

I'll update the OP.

N

Nastia Cross

OMG this dragon is BEAUTIFUL!! I haven't been around to see anything in the 2DSA client yet, but I downloaded it last night. If everything is as well done as that I'll be very happy indeed. Awesome job to the artist that designed and executed that dragon (and the platinum and crimson ones as well!!)

C

cheerful

I was the guy hiding..look..over there..see me?

Sabrina..you never came back to your body afaik....did something happen that needs reporting?

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great info! Thanks a ton! *peeks around the corner at the big dragon then runs the other way!* It is indeed great artwork and very scary looking to say the least. hehe Looks and sounds like it packs quite a punch. Be afraid...be very afraid :blushing:

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not far from the gate we saw some Fairy Dragons
The gate, as the styian dragon temple gate? I searched the entire eastern map (from the demon spawn, rat village, upper east), and I saw no sign of fairy dragons :/

Nonetheless, very helpful post indeed. thank you!

EDIT: I got it! Just kill the blue NPC humans; they are probably transformed from fairy dragons. After we killed many of them, the birds started to spawn.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The spawn in various areas of the abyss acts like a miniature champ spawns (leading up to the appearance of a renowned creature) - fairy dragons are one stage of the spawn outside the temple.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was a gate placed during beta to make getting around easier, its no longer there.

I found out yesterday that the blue servants also have the keys, so check their corpses too.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there are 3 green crystal lights around the altar, and they sometimes turn dark red. What do these lights mean? TY.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We did this tonight. Had 2 parties going, about 14 people. Second party could not get in as there were no "keys" per sae. It opens a gate so only one party at time for this peerless. Kinda disappointing. Unless we missed something?

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sirion - I don't know what the lights on the altar mean, but my guess would be its something to do with instance of the peerless, maybe a light goes out when theres a group using one of the instances?

Lady Tia - Yeh we found that out too the first time we tried it when SA was released, still no idea if you are able to take in more then one party or not.

I did post about this and some odd things we found that could be a bug, here, but no replies from a dev unfortunately :(

M

MonkeyDLuffy

We have killed a Stygian Dragon on Pac.
He is very very touch.

There are 3 level of platforms in the spawn area (forming kinda like a stair).

He can fly directly to any level and he has a weird blue circular projectile attack which he can throw at you while he is flying from level to level.

If he follows you to the teleport, he can be teleport as well. Then it is a pain to get him back down to the ground level.

We started with 5 people, 2 archer, a necro macer, a tamer and a mage. In 1.5 hours after many death, 2 quit (necor macer and tamer). The mage is not a guidie but someone we meet just before we went in.

take another 1.5 hours to kill him. We got a artie drop and a head as loot.

I died like 50-100 time (lost count) , good thing you can be rez inside vs a alter.

napalon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me and my friend killed this dragon. It took about 45--60 mins to kill it with 2 archers. We would get it down faster but bandies runned out so we used chivalry as healing. We get 1 arty as drop.