• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stupid taming question 23883-2

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know by the taming guides that i should be taming great hearts at my skill level (86.8) but would rather tame dangerous monsters because i feel it helps me learn to better play my character at higher levels when i am taming greater dragons etc so my question is what can kill me that i can tame at this level of taming?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What shard? Head over to the taming forum and see what we do with our pets.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd think the Bake Kistune would be a good challenge to tame at this level, and they can actually kill stuff and are kind of fun

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
And you can try Drakes, and also Kirins and kirins can be also trained and fight for you while you are skilling your taming..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kirins can also be turned into the Moonglow Zoo for points. If you like deco stuffs.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I really hate it when people say they have a stupid question. Nobody knows it all in this game if they admit it or not :) I admire people who admit they don't know something. And those that do ask the questions will probably know a lot more about this game than me if they don't already.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trained mostly on aggressives, I found it less boring. I spent a long time in Compassion desert taming scorpions, then instead of great harts I did giant spiders, mostly in the 'nest' just outside Demon Temple on Fire island.

There are no stupid questions and I'm always happy to answer any I can. @Capt. Lucky is right, nobody knows it all. I sure don't, but I occasionally lay claim to knowing more than most and it's knowledge I'm always happy to share. :D

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know there are no stupid questions i just like to number them because i ask so many !! I decided to go for Drakes or will as soon as my peacemaking is up to it !

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too bad tamingarchive doesn't exist anymore, hehe. Do pretames still matter for difficulty?

I'd imagine a Bake Kitsune would have a low chance of being tamed at 86.8 taming. I wonder if this site is still accurate:
Creature Taming and Control Calculator

That site says you'd have a 12.4% chance to tame a Bake Kitsune at 86.8 taming. The good thing, though, is the Bake Kitsune spawn has a lot of them around. They are also very aggressive and will do a good job of trying to kill you. They might not optimal for skill gains, however, since they require 80.7 taming.

A giant spider would give you a 55.6% chance to tame (roughly what a great hart would yield), while a stone slith would give you a 43.6% chance. Not sure where you'd find a good spawn for either, though. You might also consider frenzied ostards, which would yield a 19.6% taming chance. That is an old, since-T2A standard for the mid-level tamers (80-100). Back when I was making my first tamer I used to love being able to tame frenzied ostards, and then I moved onto a nightmare and so forth.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I know by the taming guides that i should be taming great hearts at my skill level (86.8) but would rather tame dangerous monsters because i feel it helps me learn to better play my character at higher levels when i am taming greater dragons etc so my question is what can kill me that i can tame at this level of taming?
stay in the Healers Grove, knuckle down and push out a solid hour and a half maybe 2 hours and you'll be at 90.0 and once you hit that its the promised land!
mastery looping for a day and a half and your 120.

its kinda funny.
i just was at where you are like 2 hours ago and just pushed through to 90.
2nd last tamer im working on.
then 120 real skill tamers on every shard in game!!!!
*insert evil cackle here*

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
stay in the Healers Grove, knuckle down and push out a solid hour and a half maybe 2 hours and you'll be at 90.0 and once you hit that its the promised land!
mastery looping for a day and a half and your 120.

its kinda funny.
i just was at where you are like 2 hours ago and just pushed through to 90.
2nd last tamer im working on.
then 120 real skill tamers on every shard in game!!!!
*insert evil cackle here*
Cool.. what is mastery looping? Something to do with taming mastery? Thanks..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mastery looping - casting a mastery as soon as you can after the previous casting.

With taming, you gain more regularly with whispering, but it can be 30-60 minutes between casts.
The other taming mastery power, you can either let run, then restart when you have the mana, or you can cancel it (by clicking it again), taking the mana hit, and restart it. At one time, the gains came when you clicked it, but before you selected the sub-type (consume damage, berzerk, etc.) so you could abuse the heck out of it for gains. If that still works, it might not for much longer (odds are that if Broadsword finds out, it will get nerfed).

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
what he said. (look up)