• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stream Alerts?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is up with all these stream alerts? I have no interest whatsoever in watching live streaming of anything while I am visiting this forum. Ultima Online is the only game I play and I only play on Siege. I am not interested in anything else. The streams do not appear to be working properly anyway.

I cannot find a setting that will allow me to turn this off. Any ideas?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
UO Stratics has added a stream, as have a couple other channels that stream UO exclusively. Anyone can add a stream, so we hope folks will consider adding their own streams and streaming more UO.

You're welcome to visit exclusively to participate in our UO community, but we are supporting other growing other communities. The WoW team has published over 100,000 original words for us in the past couple months and has increased our WoW Stratics Twitch subscribers from 0 to over 500 in the same time period. That kind of growth is unprecedented. We're certainly going to encourage and promote their streams!

The stream alerts cannot be turned off, but a small red bubble is a small price to pay to keep Stratics healthy and growing.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
P.S. The alerts are only supposed to show when someone is streaming. But it seems to be always showing in the UO classic theme. I'll try to find a fix for it in the UO classic theme. It's not showing in other themes currently.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A fix would be much appreciated! I thought checking the alert would do away with it, but it continues to pop up once I have left the stream.

Congrats on the growth of other communities! That is clearly a plus for Stratics and the community. I do wish there was a way to turn these alerts off, but have the default set to "on". That way, people who might be interested could go take a look before deciding whether they wish to keep viewing the streams and those of us who are... How shall we say? Set in our ways? Can carry on with our Stratics viewing unaccosted.

I love this new emoticon, btw! It fits my crafter's name, perfectly! :mistress:

Also, many thanks for fixing the emoticon list so that we can again see all of them instead of the select few we had for a while! :cheerleader:

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah, I wanna know how to get rid of them too

Reactions: Kat

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Glad it's not only me. I don't mind the alert the first time, but it should go away once I click on it.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
See my reply above.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've asked the plugin author for a way to dismiss alerts. Also, looks like it's fixed in UO Classic.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I am using UO Classic. It was gone until I created a new thread... it's back and won't go away.
Because someone is streaming.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Okay, got it. So - as long as someone is streaming there will always be an alert, even if you click on it and go to the stream?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Correct, that's how it functions right now. I've asked if the plugin author would consider a way to dismiss the alerts. If that fails, then maybe we can make the alert look different. I want people notified when someone's streaming, but I understand how OCD would make some folks want to click the notice to dismiss it.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just allow us an option to turn it off, please. Those of us who are not interested are not going to watch just because there is a notification.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That's not an option in the software. As I've already mentioned, I reached out to the plugin developer for more options. Custom development work isn't free and it's not something we can do in-house.

a ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*reads thread*

This looks like a lot of grief over something that in the big picture is not really an issue. Is the complaint merely that there is a notification at the top of the screen? Really? Allow me to describe my experience when accessing this page. When my browser loads this webpage it puts me at the top of the screen. I see the banner options including streams which always has a notification next to it. When I say notification thats an orange box with a number in it, in my case its a one. Personally I don't really care about the content that may be streaming. So what do I do? I scroll down to the forum, then I read whatever threads I am interested in. Those that are all anxious about these notifications, are you getting a different experience accessing this webpage? Is something making you click the notification? Are you not able to view the forum before checking your notifications? I am just baffled over here! :gee:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Thank you for the support. I do want it to be as little intrusive as possible, as I know it can be annoying for the OCD crowd, not unlike myself. But I'm afraid that solutions sometimes take time.

Bottom line is, I hear you guys and I'll keep looking for ways to improve the experience as best I can. :)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the support. I do want it to be as little intrusive as possible, as I know it can be annoying for the OCD crowd, not unlike myself. But I'm afraid that solutions sometimes take time.

Bottom line is, I hear you guys and I'll keep looking for ways to improve the experience as best I can. :)
Make it go away cast invisible on it if you must, but make it go away. I don't have OCD , but it is irritating me , so I do feel for the players that do have it. Maybe change the color to a duller color might help like gray.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I made it a duller copper. It's small and a neutral color. Hope this is okay until a way to dismiss the notice is found.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I notice its a different color. That is somewhat helpful, but can we get an update on the status of this issue? I tried to locate my previous thread, but it seems to have mysteriously disappeared. I didn't get a ransom note or anything. :bs:

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah it's pretty f**king obnoxious can you have someone fix the issue please. Not everyone needs to see that pop up. Yes I do have OCD, yes it bothers me very much so, and theirs no reason an easy fix cant adjust it so I don't have to stab my eyes every 5 minutes because of my OCD.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
See my replies above. There is not a way to dismiss it at the present time. I'm taking to the developer.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Update. It scrapes for streams every 15 minutes, so dismissing like notifications won't work, cause they'd just reappear every 15 minutes.

So I've asked for him to include an option to turn it off completely by user.

But now that it's a neutral color and so small you can barely read the number, I'm confused about why it feels so intrusive. If it was a different shape? Color? Location? I want for all users to have a way to scan and know immediately that someone is streaming. Even if you don't care currently, I want to draw eyes to it. Could we brainstorm about the aesthetics to make it visible, but less demanding? Post thoughts below, please.

Rayden

Adventurer
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Is there a way to add it behind the link, instead of as an alert popup? So it would show as "STREAMS (1)".

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I can customize the appearance/position with CSS, but I don't have the expertise to update core files.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I've asked for him to include an option to turn it off completely by user.
Thank you! That is really my personal preference.

But now that it's a neutral color and so small you can barely read the number, I'm confused about why it feels so intrusive.
It just is. Any type of alert floating around up there would bother me until its gone. As a guild leader, I feel obligated to check PM's immediately if there is an alert, because I like to take care of guild issues as quickly as possible. Same for in game sale of items that are handled here, questions from new players seeking help, etc. It would drive me bat crazy to leave a PM unchecked. Call it OCD, call it whatever you want. It just bothers me. Its like hearing/feeling a text or missed call alert on my phone. I can go without answering it if I must, but I have to look to see who it was in case it might be something important.

If it was a different shape? Color? Location? I want for all users to have a way to scan and know immediately that someone is streaming. Even if you don't care currently, I want to draw eyes to it. Could we brainstorm about the aesthetics to make it visible, but less demanding? Post thoughts below, please.
The different color is somewhat helpful, but still mildly annoying. I would think that anyone interested in watching live streams would click on that tab, but I can understand that clicking on that tab and constantly finding nothing there would get old. How about simply changing the color of the word "Stream" on the tab when there is a stream? Nothing neon or flashing, but maybe a green or blue. Or just have the text change to a bold version of the same font.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Having the number of active streamers in the uo classic theme appear on the right instead of above where it looked like active notifications is a great compromise, thanks guys.

We used to have active streams appear on the front page of the forums to highlight titles. It pushed all content below it. This layout allows us to continue to highlight media without being as obtrusive. I love to stream and I love to watch streams and interact with the person as they game, asking questions, doing events and sharing ideas with other community members watching. I personally would love to see more Ultima Online streams highlighted when players or EMs run events. Showing how many are actively streaming next to the tab instead of above, can now be looked at the same as how many members are online. It's a number reference so you know they are there, check them out :)

Love!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've made it neutral and moved it to the side, so it doesn't appear the same way an alert does. This'll have to do until the plugin author provides a way to turn off the notifications.

Thanks, everything.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can live with that. Looks much better. Thanks!

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I heard there were complaints on this. Is everyone using the default theme? UO Classic?
I hardly even notice it. Maybe I don't look at the top of my page often enough?
If I see it there with a 1 or 2 in it I think "oh cool someone's streaming" then I
go on with my posting habits as usual.
Why is it bothering everyone else? (this is not being said sarcastically, I really just don't see it as a big deal)

Noldor

Knight, Order of the Bug Hunters
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is like using a laser pointer and pointing it on the wall 6 feet up. The Kat can't reach it and realizes this...but it still draws her attention and bugs her daily! -)

TQQdles™

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Doesn't bother me at all, really surprised its such a big deal for some people.
I for one am really excited to see people streaming through the Stratics community. Hope to help each other grow, and this is a major part of it!
Hope those upset by it found resolution, would hate to see anyone frustrated by what should be a cooperative feature to everyone's benefit. :(