• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stratics Off-Topic. What does that really mean?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously.

Take a look at UHall, or any of the major subforums. You'll find thread after thread after thread of topics that vary inevitably from cats to coffee to "Look at this <vaguely related to subforum topic but not really at all object> that I found.

At what point must we sit back and realize that this subforum is both underutilized and those who don't utilize it when appropriate need to be re-educated, possibly by force, possibly by intensive re-education procedures involving force.

I hereby submit that the usage of Stratics Off-Topic becomes mandatory for all threads that do not directly further the theme of a subforum - "Good morning <Subforum> threads, cat macros, general discussion. All of these belong here, not scattered about, mucking up the forums like so much jam in a coin slot.

Who's with me?

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm for ideas that bring more activity here. But laying down the heavy hand isn't Stratics' M.O. these days, unless you insult Trammel too much.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm for ideas that bring more activity here. But laying down the heavy hand isn't Stratics' M.O. these days, unless you insult Trammel too much.
Sometimes a heavy hand is needed.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I like OT. Would love ideas to make it more appealing. Probably, this will come down to having a few folks create new threads occasionally so that it shows up in "What's New?" more frequently.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What if Stratics ran an OT portal? Or "Other" or something. It could feature stuff like console gaming news, non-MMO games, gaming culture news, non-gaming news, etc. Think about it. I'll run you'll allow it.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could feature stuff like console gaming news, non-MMO games, gaming culture news, non-gaming news, etc. Think about it. I'll run you'll allow it.
This is something I've been considering for Central, as part of a long-term roadmap.
Moving from MMOGs into other genres is something I'd like to see with Stratics. However with a current focus being mainly on improving what we have, the furthest it's got in terms of pursuit is "considering it" making it to the "soon" section of my 2012 goals.

I think it's an awesome idea, though.

In terms of OT posting, I don't think "OT to the forum" is as important as "OT to the community".
You'll find that lot of posts that don't fit the intent of a forum do fit the spirit of that forum's community, in which case moving said thread/post contributes no benefit.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OT to the Forum has, historically, been the defining factor on Stratics. Did I miss some major change? I realize I'm not as active as I used to be..

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with Aran's point. Historically UO has had it's own off-topic subforum. Stratics has historically been a number of communities rather than one large community (though the biggest one has almost always been UO's). Trying to centralize things is going against the flow at this point and may take some prodding. However, UO's stratics community has shrunk enough to the point where it's not nearly as distracting to most people as it may have been 5 or more years ago.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OT to the Forum has, historically, been the defining factor on Stratics. Did I miss some major change? I realize I'm not as active as I used to be..
When I said "forum", I meant "subforum". As in Uhall/Sonoma/SnR/Tamers and so on.
In the example of a shard forum, an OT post mightn't concern the shard, but it may concern that shard's community. So nothing's served by taking a hard line with the OT post and moving it to a forum which will have a distinct community.

I think the terms being used are a bit too ambiguous, leaving a lot of variation for interpretation, even without reading between the lines.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is something I've been considering for Central, as part of a long-term roadmap.
Moving from MMOGs into other genres is something I'd like to see with Stratics. However with a current focus being mainly on improving what we have, the furthest it's got in terms of pursuit is "considering it" making it to the "soon" section of my 2012 goals.
If you ever decide to commit to it and need writers (for those topics) I'd love to volunteer. I'd want to write some real articles though rather than copy/pasting news from other sites :cool:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
^ Volunteers are the Aussie's schnitzel.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
But you do so much already, we couldn't possibly ask for more.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you ever decide to commit to it and need writers (for those topics) I'd love to volunteer. I'd want to write some real articles though rather than copy/pasting news from other sites :cool:
You fill me with glee to be saying that.
I currently have a thing going on which should reach culmination within the week. Then, in light of your enthusiasm, I'll look to moving it off the "soon" list :)

^ Volunteers are the Aussie's schnitzel.
I know you're supposed to be studying, but with the amount of sense that made, maybe you should get some more sleep :D

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Stratics OT stopped being relevant when it stopped being "no-holds-barred". I am not suggesting we go back to that,but something along those lines would be a good call.

Z

Zin

*laughs*

I suppose that my lack of the ability to "time stamp" events still makes that funny. Perhaps the place has changed. *shrugs*

S

Sevin0oo0

By not being a regular reader in here, I can only assume that this is the OT depository for all portals? Anything that doesn't neatly fit into one of the predefined, organized forum areas, and rightfully so. I come rarely, and it seems so under utilized and lonely, but for one, for me it's too difficult to locate things of interest, it's like looking in a paper trash can. If suggestions are being had... Sub sections... Queen Mum's Oven - I'm there! There is a thousand recipe places on the net, while nice, lack the at-home feel and personality that only a forum can offer, real grub, by real friends.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
By not being a regular reader in here, I can only assume that this is the OT depository for all portals? Anything that doesn't neatly fit into one of the predefined, organized forum areas, and rightfully so. I come rarely, and it seems so under utilized and lonely, but for one, for me it's too difficult to locate things of interest, it's like looking in a paper trash can. If suggestions are being had... Sub sections... Queen Mum's Oven - I'm there! There is a thousand recipe places on the net, while nice, lack the at-home feel and personality that only a forum can offer, real grub, by real friends.
OT communities can be really fun. When I played WoW and posted on their forums I spent more time in the OT section than anywhere else. The Stratics forum community seems to have dwindled with the UO community and now it's mainly staff and a handful of regulars who post here. I'd love to see more people in here discussing other games, media, real life, etc. Either from the UO community or all new people to Stratics.