• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stranger Combat: "Can't Someone Else Do It...?"

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Prince Caspian

I partook in a few Stranger battles over in Sonoma Luna, and I must say, this event's turn immediately disgusts me.

There is absolutely no reason to put your neck on the line and kill The Stranger. Yet, anyone can come scavenge the awards off the ground. So all night yesterday I saw maybe 2-3 people tangling with the Stranger and the rest of the mob just waiting in the wings for the final blow, and then they took the field to get the goodies.

Nice.

Devs, put some arty drops for the people who do the actual work, eh?

E

Emil IsTemp

Remember back in the day when anyone could loot a corpse?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps it was designed that way on purpose? Maybe the idea isn't to kill the strangers?

L

Lord Drakelord

Perhaps it was designed that way on purpose? Maybe the idea isn't to kill the strangers?
Then why do they have loot? Besides we all have tried to talk them, drop items on them, they do not reply or react to anything we do except when we attack. Then they try to kick our butts. I have to agree with PC up there that the loot requires some looking at, as those that just sit it out are still able to gain some good stuff for doing little or nothing for it.

Those folks that do some really bad damage to the stranger should be granted something for the hard work and deaths. And not the Vultures that sit on the sides.

T

Trebr Drab

I partook in a few Stranger battles over in Sonoma Luna, and I must say, this event's turn immediately disgusts me.

There is absolutely no reason to put your neck on the line and kill The Stranger. Yet, anyone can come scavenge the awards off the ground. So all night yesterday I saw maybe 2-3 people tangling with the Stranger and the rest of the mob just waiting in the wings for the final blow, and then they took the field to get the goodies.

Nice.

Devs, put some arty drops for the people who do the actual work, eh?
You chose the dagger, didn't you. :lol:

P

Prince Caspian

Then why do they have loot?
I remember one of the first Christmases in Ultima Online. Santa Claus appeared as an NPC (non-interactive).

So what do we Britannians do once we find out the jolly elf of legend, Kris Kringle, is now amongst us?

We kill him so we can loot those spiffy black gloves he had.

In so many ways, that just epitomizes the UO Mindset to me.

T

Trebr Drab

I remember one of the first Christmases in Ultima Online. Santa Claus appeared as an NPC (non-interactive).

So what do we Britannians do once we find out the jolly elf of legend, Kris Kringle, is now amongst us?

Yes, but remember too, Caspian, that not all Britannians are so. But it has to be noted that few, very few, defended the jolly elf. May their souls rest in peace.

L

Lord Drakelord

Then why do they have loot?

Santa was before my time, UO-R is when I came to this world. Santa was just a thing of the past that many vets told us about and that we looked forward to them repeating that event for we players that did not start in Beta or UO, but they did not bring Santa back that Christmas.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I just kind hung out with her in Luna...I am an evil voice-hearing, shadowlord following crazy chick so I was just walkin around with her for a bit readin the forums when my guildie ICQ'd me and said THEY ARE ATTACKING HER!!! UGH....*sighs*

But she didn't respond to any words or anything...froze me for a second when I got near her but other then that nothing.

T

Trebr Drab

Actually no, my main (PC) did not choose the dagger.

Is there a different outcome if I did?
That was just a joke. But I think there will be a meaning to the choices made on the dagger. It might not be very significant, but I'm sure there's a meaning to it.

T

Trebr Drab

Yeah I just kind hung out with her in Luna...I am an evil voice-hearing, shadowlord following crazy chick so I was just walkin around with her for a bit readin the forums when my guildie ICQ'd me and said THEY ARE ATTACKING HER!!! UGH....*sighs*

But she didn't respond to any words or anything...froze me for a second when I got near her but other then that nothing.
Just because you cast the spell doesn't mean your character is aligned with evil. Blackrock is a powerful reagent. It's not aligned with any side. It has powers involving teleportation and planar travel, and so I think it simply opened a link in our minds to someone whose using such things, trying to control such things.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fiction makes it clear that the strangers are evil.

Now, of course, one can argue that isn't necessarily the same as "we must kill them."

But, we have tried everything else so far, even just following them around in their movements.

Either the team is experimenting....Or there is some effect from killing them that we don't know yet.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. Plus, Andrew's rather direct recruiting method (ie "join us or die") is usually not the method the forces of goodness use to bring people aboard...
Well, we don't know that the Strangers are working for the SLs.

It could have been that the Strangers just looked menacing but were really good guys.

I was worried about that.

But the fiction on UO.com cleared that right up.

What is still up in the air though, is who they are and who they are working for.

But for Galen the character, whether or not it is an enemy is a more important question than exactly who, or what, it is.

-Galen's player

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was waiting for a post like this, Someone crying about how anyone can grab the good loot and the people that worked the hardest get screwed... Everytime their is a event where you can get something special people are always crying. When the people that do the most damage get the item the weak cry and when anyone can grab the item off the ground the slow cry. They shouldn't even have events they should just do like holidays and give every char a item sence thats all most people care about.... but oh wait then people cry about that too.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fiction makes it clear that the strangers are evil.
Huh?? What are you getting that from? All I got from the fiction is that these strangers are the first of their kind to be returning to their ancient home, they are looking for information, and they think humans are ignorant and leading lives without meaning. We also know that they are like others of their kind and yet different in some way.

Yes, the story that introduced Myxkion starts out saying that he was seething with malice and feels destructive, but that could be because he's angry at someone. The strangers are allied with someone who is getting impatient and they are looking for something. I'm not so sure they are looking for an object per se, but rather information of some sort. Perhaps they seek the same information that the wisps who appeared after we cast the Armageddon spell were seeking?

The story that was posted most recently is also rather vague on exactly how many "great lords" were present when the six were sent into our world. I also got the impression that the "cloaked one" who helped open the portal has promised something to the Six's Great Lord...a "world of chaos given voice." It also sounds as if the "cloaked one" MIGHT be one of "three shadows," but not necessarily working in concert with the other two.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh?? What are you getting that from? All I got from the fiction is that these strangers are the first of their kind to be returning to their ancient home, they are looking for information, and they think humans are ignorant and leading lives without meaning. We also know that they are like others of their kind and yet different in some way.

Yes, the story that introduced Myxkion starts out saying that he was seething with malice and feels destructive, but that could be because he's angry at someone. The strangers are allied with someone who is getting impatient and they are looking for something. I'm not so sure they are looking for an object per se, but rather information of some sort. Perhaps they seek the same information that the wisps who appeared after we cast the Armageddon spell were seeking?

The story that was posted most recently is also rather vague on exactly how many "great lords" were present when the six were sent into our world. I also got the impression that the "cloaked one" who helped open the portal has promised something to the Six's Great Lord...a "world of chaos given voice." It also sounds as if the "cloaked one" MIGHT be one of "three shadows," but not necessarily working in concert with the other two.
*sighs*

In this passage, Myxkion wants to commit genocide:

"Humans..."
"Tell me, would it not be better if we just wiped them out?" He nodded to himself. "Look at them. They *scurry*."

She laughed – with a harmony that would make the finest instrument jealous. Myxkion's ears enjoyed the familiar song. Then the bitter reminder of where he was gnawed at him with frost laden fangs. The only thing that annoyed him more than the cold, was the small camp of ignorant people down below, going about what, he felt, were their meaningless lives.

"I could destroy them all with a snap of my fingers," he mused.

The fair maiden's laugh stopping slowing into a teeming smile. "Don’t forget who and what you are, Myxion. There's no need for that – simply kill those in your way and focus on our goals."
Genocide is evil by most definitions.

In this passage, Myxkion commits murder on people camping outside Despise:

"We don’t need the unnecessary attention. But if they’re distracting you, then by all means, do it. Our ally grows impatient."

The words rang true, increasing his annoyance.

The wind died and a ball of crimson flame appeared in front of the man. The ground steamed where snow been packed inches thick moments before, and tendrils of fire licked the air around them.

The burning missile grew smaller as it shot down towards the encampment. A flash of light marked its impact, followed by a giant plume of angry smoke and ash. The shockwave carried with it the sounds that had traveled last of all back to the ears of the two steadfast strangers, up and above the chaos.

"You didn’t snap your finger," the woman playfully mocked her companion.

Below them, a few tiny figures fled the unfolding disaster.

"How silly of me to forget..." He snapped his fingers, and several more spheres of violent flame came to life.
Murder is, much of the time, evil.

Those passages were from the article called "The Six."

From the article called "A Short Time Ago," note this passage:

Their Great Lord's eyes now visible for the first time glowed in deep blues and purples. These energies were being summoned and manipulated from the Void itself. He saw the promise of the cloaked one unfold before him. It cried out to him, a world of chaos given voice, and he remembered.
Not as clear as the others, but surely sounds evil to me.

In this passage, they express glee at destruction:

"Valvakka, why do you smile so?" the woman asked one of her companions.

"Because, my lady Kealdia," his smile widened to display gleaming teeth, "My task has the highest of all honors: to destroy the weak ones that succumbed to... that human."

He clasped his hands in a quiet, but powerful, show of anticipation, his words trailing off in a whisper. "Weak... Fake..."
Most "good guys" in literature and pop culture may not exactly be torn up about causing destruction. Some may even like it. But that kind of glee at it is usually reserved for evil.

If the strangers are not evil, then the UO team is purposefully misleading us.

Always possible I guess.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds to me more like Myxkion is young and eager to accomplish his mission, rather than intent on genocide.

We don't know what his mission is. We know that he thinks at least some humans are ignorant and living lives without purpose. It also sounds as if the Great Lord of the Six has instructed the Six to try to accomplish their mission quickly and without attracting lots of attention.

And although the Six will kill humans who deter them from their mission, it definitely doesn't sound to me as if their mission's primary purpose is to kill any humans they happen to stumble across. The only one of the Six that we know is specifically tasked with killing humans is Valvakka. His mission, which he considers a high honor, is to destroy individuals who succumbed to something, presumably Andrew's recruiting efforts. When he shows up, I think I'd definitely steer clear if I met with Andrew and received a glass dagger.

Vaector and Krysan are the oldest, perhaps followed in age by Rivatach. I suspect that if they are the oldest, they are perhaps also the toughest or perhaps the wiliest of the Six.

Who is Braxyion? I think he's a wisp. What's interesting is that it doesn't appear that the Great Lord necessarily invited him to witness the departure of the Six, but he also doesn't seem too concerned that he was there.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds to me more like Myxkion is young and eager to accomplish his mission, rather than intent on genocide.
Even if your take is correct, that means that being willing to commit genocide isn't enough to call you evil? You have to have genocide as a specific goal to qualify?

Woah. That's..... Damn.

Suffice it to say that I think it's clear that at this point either the Strangers are evil.....Or the team is deliberately misleading us.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, we don't know that the Strangers are working for the SLs.

It could have been that the Strangers just looked menacing but were really good guys.

I was worried about that.

But the fiction on UO.com cleared that right up.

What is still up in the air though, is who they are and who they are working for.

But for Galen the character, whether or not it is an enemy is a more important question than exactly who, or what, it is.

-Galen's player
in the first story we got, a bunch of "people" were fried by fireballs, now what kind of good guy would do that? (besides me of course)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you call the characters who insist on attacking the strangers just because they've showed up? Evil or just plain stupid or perhaps so greedy they've stopped thinking about the consequences of their actions.

L

Loqucious

I do hate it when it's greedy like this and I believe the people who profit from it are usually the loot scripters.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you call the characters who insist on attacking the strangers just because they've showed up? Evil or just plain stupid or perhaps so greedy they've stopped thinking about the consequences of their actions.
After reading the first fiction, I called myself naive. Because I had held off on attacking them. And I called the attackers more perceptive than I. (Every good monster in the game that I can think of off-hand hues gray, like "normal" monsters, not red...And every good monster I can think of causes the character to lose Karma, which these don't.)

Hey, if it helps, you may well be right, but it won't be because the evidence was on your side, it'll be because we were deliberately misled for fictional purposes.

*shrugs*

Could easily happen that way. Doesn't make you a superior reader of the evidence, though, because the evidence is against you.

Rather, it would make you either lucky, or extraordinarily perceptive, or both.

For what it's worth, I am not at all likely to whine if it happens that way.

-Galen's player

L

Lord Kynd

Then why do they have loot? Besides we all have tried to talk them, drop items on them, they do not reply or react to anything we do except when we attack. Then they try to kick our butts. I have to agree with PC up there that the loot requires some looking at, as those that just sit it out are still able to gain some good stuff for doing little or nothing for it.

Those folks that do some really bad damage to the stranger should be granted something for the hard work and deaths. And not the Vultures that sit on the sides.

even worse, this is suppose to be the new anti script IDOC script EA put in. but the script's are winning.
bad when you see it die things everywhere , then before you can grab a second gem everything is gone...oh and look at teh 3-4 people running to unload all the junk... piles of junk... no way they looted by hand.

V

Vyrquenox

Indeed, I got to the point already of 'why am I wearing out my sword anyway?" I hate being dishonorable, but when half the people fighting it are punk idiots anyway, why not just say "in chess the pawns go first" cause I am not doing myself any favors fighting with the thing, not sure I even want to kill it anyway, but obviously they know someone will set it off. The first 4 times i toed it out with the stranger, i usually ended up thrown a screen away and paralyzed when it died so that i couldn't get a shot at anything anyway. throwing crap on the ground so that 'whosits' can walk in and pick it up while you wipe the blood off your mouth is silly anyway. Pretty soon we will all just be standing there looking at each other going 'i ain't doing it why should I? you do it. someone else will do it." I am tired of being the someone else.

V

Vyrquenox

well ever seen vampire hunter D? Imagine the strangers in the same way, they act evil, look evil, are evil, but are working in a way as a greater force and not for the shadowlords. I believe they are on the side of order, and they act like revenants (not the game revenants but the actual idea of real revenants) kind of like avengers, ghost rider sort of idea. They straight out said the leader was intending to destroy the shadowlords, albeit in a vague way.

P

Prince Caspian

Heh, well... maybe they came to bring peace to Britannia and are only acting out of defense when we whomp em...

Reminds me of this comedian doing a bit talking about the urban myth of punching a shark will make you leave him alone...

(Whop!)

Shark: OW! HEY!!
Dude: Oh. Erm. I thought you were gonna attack me...
Shark: Well, I AM now.... other sharks are watchin. This don't look good for me, if you catch my drift...

R

Revenant2

Reminds me of this comedian doing a bit talking about the urban myth of punching a shark will make you leave him alone...

(Whop!)

Shark: Well, I AM now.... other sharks are watchin. This don't look good for me, if you catch my drift...
heheheheh thats great.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well ever seen vampire hunter D? Imagine the strangers in the same way, they act evil, look evil, are evil, but are working in a way as a greater force and not for the shadowlords. I believe they are on the side of order, and they act like revenants (not the game revenants but the actual idea of real revenants) kind of like avengers, ghost rider sort of idea. They straight out said the leader was intending to destroy the shadowlords, albeit in a vague way.
It's actually beginning to feel more like there are two deadly forces fighting over our world and we're all just kinda in their way. I fear that we're so unorganized and divided in our loyalties and motivation that we will have about as much influence over the course of history as a kid using a peashooter.

T

Trebr Drab

I fear that we're so unorganized and divided in our loyalties and motivation that we will have about as much influence over the course of history as a kid using a peashooter.
Divide and conquer.

S

Sheridan

Heh, well... maybe they came to bring peace to Britannia and are only acting out of defense when we whomp em...

(Whop!)

Robert Schimmel... one of my favorites.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The cow looked me in the eye then killed me so i wandered off and self rezzed and hell she had followed me and chased me around luna!
talk to her? no chance

J

Joyous2K

That was just a joke. But I think there will be a meaning to the choices made on the dagger. It might not be very significant, but I'm sure there's a meaning to it.
Yeah just like there is meaning to the threads of whatever and the plane shields and the goober gobbers and whatever else they put in. It is more half assed stuff they put in the game and then later they will quick fix it up with a turn in or some other turn in or a turn in.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After being frozen by her in Luna I had Mindrot cast on me with +25% mana cost... Everyone else get that too?