• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] Strange EC behavior while using WD Passport Elite

• Thread starter Old Man of UO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
O

Old Man of UO

I've been having issues with not being able to log in, or the log in server taking one to two minutes to locate the game servers, also getting lag spikes. These were the same problems were described in other posts.

After moving game files, defragging my hard drive and then moving files back, everything was great! I thought that was the key, extreme defragging. After today's Windows update and reboot, the trouble was back.

Long story short, my Western Digital Passport Elite auto-backup program was somehow interfering with the EC client. Whenever I do a manual backup, I turn off the WD auto-backup and forget to restart it. As long as I don't use the WD backup program, EC runs great. Start the WD auto backup, and the trouble starts again.

If you are having trouble logging in, check to see what's running in the background.

W

Woodsman

I think I had a similar problem, only on my Mac. I remember having my backup drive plugged in and playing UO and having my hard drive really work. I believe the Time Machine backup software was picking up that the EC was caching a lot or something and was seeing those as changed files.

I went in and told Time Machine not to backup anything in the game folders and it went away.