• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stop Logging me out Stratics

J

Joyous2K

The timer is too short. Stratic BC didn't have a timer. Make smileys yellow. Remember smileys? They were yellow.

F

Fayled Dhreams

The timer is too short. Stratic BC didn't have a timer. Make smileys yellow. Remember smileys? They were yellow.

Change your BROWSER settings :eek:
when you change focus/leave the forums ... your "remember me" cookie is getting lost/deleted ...

there is no "timer" :p

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With some browsers, I needed to manually allow a cookie from vboards.stratics.com

Then it works hunky-dory.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
VB has an inactivity expiry for cookies that is set to a default of 15 minutes, sessions are expired after 15 minutes of inactivity. There is an option to make this longer or allow automatic login in the Vbulletin admin panel, but it is on Stratics' end and not the browser end.

J

Joyous2K

Is that true if I open and look at a different tab? Is that what change focus is? I could look at other tabs with Stratics BC and not get logged out. Is that part of the new technology? Stratics BC I could do anything else for hours and then come back and I would still be in there.

Where are all the whiny old farts who complain about new things all the time? There needs to be some more of them on Stratics AC.

The pink smileys aren't doing it for me Fayled. Sure pink is what a human white man's skin looks like, but smileys are yellow. That is fact.

J

Joyous2K

VB has an inactivity expiry for cookies that is set to a default of 15 minutes, sessions are expired after 15 minutes of inactivity. There is an option to make this longer or allow automatic login in the Vbulletin admin panel, but it is on Stratics' end and not the browser end.
Does that mean I can change an option somewhere on my Stratics AC settings? Or does Stratics Inc. need to change a setting somewhere?

If yes to first one please inform where I can change that.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stratics needs to change it in their admin CP.

If I remember correctly, there will be an option to allow auto-login that will log the user in automatically if their session expires when they re-visit the site, and then there will be an option to increase the session expiry from 15 minutes to a value of their choice.

S

Sheridan

I've been logged in for the past 4 days without a need to re-log-in once... *shrugs* I don't think it's on our end.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Stratics needs to change it in their admin CP.

If I remember correctly, there will be an option to allow auto-login that will log the user in automatically if their session expires when they re-visit the site, and then there will be an option to increase the session expiry from 15 minutes to a value of their choice.
all well and good about the "15 min" default timer ...
but
just sat for 20 minutes , idle, no touchy nothin ...
then went to the Front page and back here
still logged in ....

can close this browser out, full restart machine, open browser ... still logged in ... (this browser)
change browsers
have to log in every time after closing that browser (but just sat idle for 20 min ... no problem)

pretty likely its joyous browser

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll check it with IE and see, with Firefox on multiple machines it logs out after around 15 minutes, and the cookie is being accepted and stored properly. Are both of you using Internet Explorer?

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine logs me out too if I inactive on the boards for short periods of time even if I have the browser open and logged in behind UO while I am playing.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

F

Fayled Dhreams

I'll check it with IE and see, with Firefox on multiple machines it logs out after around 15 minutes, and the cookie is being accepted and stored properly. Are both of you using Internet Explorer?
both you "who"? lol
neither netscape nor firefox logged me off after 20 min inactive ...

Just changed my cookie setting on fire fox ... and it auto logged me in
begining "idle" (minimized) as of this posting ...
*click*

-----
bing! still logged in ...

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
both you "who"? lol
neither netscape nor firefox logged me off after 20 min inactive ...

Just changed my cookie setting on fire fox ... and it auto logged me in
begining "idle" (minimized) as of this posting ...
*click*
You and Sheridan. :p

It's strange since I stay auto logged in on other VB boards such as UOforums, and my own board which is PhpBB, however these boards time out.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using Firefox and like Sheridan, been logged in for a while. Didn't have to change anything. *shrugs*

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you clicking the checkbox next to where it says Remember Me? ?

If you don't, your session will time out. If you do, then it won't.

~Rai

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you clicking the checkbox next to where it says Remember Me? ?

If you don't, your session will time out. If you do, then it won't.

~Rai
That's probably the secret, I checked that box when I first registered and have never been logged out. :)

Nice sig, by the way.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Yes, I'm using Internet Explorer.
*shrugs*
Tried all three flavors ... IE, Netscape, Firefox ... no "log out" @ 20minutes inactive rate ...
as of this post ... running a fresh minimized window of IE, without checking the "remember me" thingy ...

see what happens after 20 ...
@ edit time

still here ...
*shrugs*

J

Joyous2K

OK, For those that didn't check "Remember Me" at registration and those that wash cookies each time you close your browser... I checked "Remember Me" at login. I will leave the window up while I get ready and report back.

J

Joyous2K

OK, For those that didn't check "Remember Me" at registration and those that wash cookies each time you close your browser... I checked "Remember Me" at login. I will leave the window up while I get ready and report back.
Alright, my last post was at 5:40 Central Time. I read the headlines, got a shower, ironed my clothes, then returned and browsed a bit (maybe 25 minutes of Stratics AC being idle. Now I am posting and I think it will work. If it does....

You can stay logged in for some time by checking "Remember Me" when you login. It is right next to the Username field.

I'm off to the WAR. The WAR OF WORK! (well, first I will post again in Threadzilla, what a great thread that is).

J

Joyous2K

OK, just as another confirmation, I clicked "Remember Me" at logon a while ago, maybe 6PM central and went inactive at 6:45. I came back now and comp was in fake shutdown mode and I have just restarted to see the stratics screen and I am sending a message.