• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stone Fish. Bad Luck or Broken?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have spent about a week trying to catch a Stone Fish in the Lost Lands. I have used bait combined with the Bait Suit. My Fishing is 120. I am fishing in Deep Water. I guess my question is the title. Bad Luck or Broken? Or are these so rare as to be nigh uncatchable?

Along those same lines....I have fished since the beginning of the High Seas expansion and still haven't caught a Blue Marlin....

Lake Supeior shard btw.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is neither bad luck nor it is broken, it is just rare. It took about ~500 charges of the bait, again using a fisher suit, to catch a stone fish. The bait only increases your chance to 1-3% which is still a very low odd. My guess is without the bait, your chance is less than 0.1% for some specific types of fish. I've caught 1,2000 dungeon fish in Destard without even seeing a single Abyssal Dragonfish, this is how rare it is, and I don't have any complaints since they are basically for trophies. Enchanted (or magical, if you will) fish is different, as they are used as ingredients in magical fish pies, so they have schools around or can be spotted using a magical fish finder, thus they are much more easier to catch.

I said Petra that I will catch every rare fish and crustacean in Europa about a month ago, I'm still missing four of them even though fishers give me free baits and the residents of Felucca tolerate me: "Could you lure Rikktor to other side, I'm trying to fish here!".

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats good to hear. I'm happy to put in the time and effort to earn a rare reward. Just wanted to be sure they COULD actually be caught. Any other active fisherman out there on LS shard? PM me. Now I gotta go...I have some fishing to do....

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have spent about a week trying to catch a Stone Fish in the Lost Lands. I have used bait combined with the Bait Suit. My Fishing is 120. I am fishing in Deep Water. I guess my question is the title. Bad Luck or Broken? Or are these so rare as to be nigh uncatchable?

Along those same lines....I have fished since the beginning of the High Seas expansion and still haven't caught a Blue Marlin....

Lake Supeior shard btw.
Just the bloody RNG, although it seems the Stone Fish is rarer, I think it might be because of where it is. At least for me it's hard to hang around Papua and just fish away, strange I know, but that's me. By the way, I just caught an 86 stone Stone Fish last night, no bait, no baitsuit, just playing around with the new fishing macro in the EC. This is my 3rd one. Hang in there, it'll come, took me forever to get my Abyssal Dragonfish, all my friends had multiples before my first. Sonoma.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried the Magical Fish Finder from Covetous void pool rewards? I havent tested it yet but it could help, if there is a fishing school for stone fishes.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried the Magical Fish Finder from Covetous void pool rewards? I havent tested it yet but it could help, if there is a fishing school for stone fishes.
Magical Fish Finder only works for magical fish to find schools of magical fish. Stone fish is not a magical fish (aka rare fish, enchanted fish; in other words, used to create magical fish pies), it is one of the legendary sea creatures. Maybe they include these legendary fish and crustaceans to magical fish finder in the future.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wonders if Varingian ever got his Stoned Fish.... o_O

Last edited:

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought I'd piggyback off this. I've been fishing for 3 days now for a couple hours each day for fairy salmon. I've used 250 bait with suit. I've done an additional ~300 casts (nice little stockpile building up). Mix between deep water and shore... I'm 110 fishing, though I saw on uoguide the lowest skill caught was an 85. I'm a bit frustrated.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why don't you tell us exactly where you've been fishing, and maybe someone would/could comment....

Just sayin......;)

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tur Mer rivers.... Started with deep water off the pier in the fishing village. Tried the shallow waters by the rocks in the same area. Went to the river just west of the moongate leading out of the royal city and followed it around the edge.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those legendary fish are possibly sitting in the deep waters that we can never reach.

Last edited:

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not a legendary one, "just" a rare. They are out there, Ive seen them and saw the pies from them.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought I'd piggyback off this. I've been fishing for 3 days now for a couple hours each day for fairy salmon. I've used 250 bait with suit. I've done an additional ~300 casts (nice little stockpile building up). Mix between deep water and shore... I'm 110 fishing, though I saw on uoguide the lowest skill caught was an 85. I'm a bit frustrated.
Hello, I fish for fairy salmon regularly, since I am selling magic fish pies. I never had problems with catching them off the pier at the fishermans village. I think they live in deep water, so there'd be a good spot. I use bait whenever I have some, but even without it and without the suit (which I don't own), I normally catch one every few minutes. I am at 120 though, so maybe that makes a difference. No need to get frustrated, they are out there waiting to be pulled up! (and probably mocking you while doint it ... )

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, I fish for fairy salmon regularly, since I am selling magic fish pies.
The Fairy salmon magic pie raises casting focus by 2 (not sure for how long time...). What good does this do, really ? Is the bonus worth is so that players may want to actually spend gold to buy them ? How much are you selling the pies for ?

The good ones look to me :
- great barracuda pie Eat to increase hit chance: 8
- giant koi pie Eat to increase Defence Chance: 8
- autumn dragonfish pie Eat to increase meditation skill: 10 (works above 120 CAP ?)
- yellowtail barracuda pie Eat to increase Hp regeneration: 3
- holy mackeral pie Eat to increase mana regeneration: 3
- unicorn fish pie Eat to increase stamina regeneration: 3

Not sure how well they would sell, though, and for how much....

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA ever gets around to actually implementing a Sosaria wide Vendor Search system like they say they are, then I'll sure put some of those on my vendors... Just for the novelty if nothing else, but I'm betting that they could sell for enough to make it worth while...
;)

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sell all magic fish pies for 9000 gp each (combined costing since some fishes are easy to get, others aren't, but this way it's easier to handle). And yes, they sell. Not in huge quantities, but it's a fun thing to have on a vendor and some people just like it. And so far the vendor pays for itself.

Besides of their practival use, they are RP items, too. I have 9 varieties of fish pies constantly on offer, and some more rare ones when I get the steaks for them. In a nutshell: a magic fish pie vendor is fun for me and makes for a nice conversation piece.

:pirate:

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sell all magic fish pies for 9000 gp each (combined costing since some fishes are easy to get, others aren't, but this way it's easier to handle). And yes, they sell. Not in huge quantities, but it's a fun thing to have on a vendor and some people just like it. And so far the vendor pays for itself.

Besides of their practival use, they are RP items, too. I have 9 varieties of fish pies constantly on offer, and some more rare ones when I get the steaks for them. In a nutshell: a magic fish pie vendor is fun for me and makes for a nice conversation piece.

:pirate:
This ^^^^^ is exactly how I feel... Great for RP, good source for warrior types to carry for a quick increase, and just plain fun in general.
:)

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and one thing I forgot: as far as I remember, all boosts from magic fish pies are for 300 seconds .. I could be wrong on that though.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and one thing I forgot: as far as I remember, all boosts from magic fish pies are for 300 seconds .. I could be wrong on that though.
That is what I recall, 5 minutes boost (which in a fight can vapourize very fast...) but there is also a pause in between pies one can eat which I am not sure how long it is. In think that magic pies as they are now are more trouble than help. Fish are hard to catch, pies' effect is short lasted, pauses too long and on top of that the pies do not stack.... Can they be insured ?

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are absolutely right, considering how hard it is for most fishes to find them and that even the special ingredient you need for all pies from the Sea Market costs more than 1k per pop, they are terribly underpowered. The Devs did talk about doing something with fishing in the future, so maybe there will be changes there as well ... one can only hope. Until then: let's admire some of the colours!

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, but sometimes 300 seconds can be a "life"time.

But I do agree that - given what it takes to get the materials - they are either underpowered or unappreciated, one or the other... And yes, John, 'till they make changed we can just enjoy those colors...
;)

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And NO, I still haven't caught the flippin stone fish. lol Mostly been fishing up mass quantities of SoS's lately though.

And as far as Fairy Salmon are concerned...you'll never guess where I catch most of mine. Small lava pool with lava hook. No joke. Fishing is a bit buggy to say the least.

Last edited:

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can catch all the fairy salmon you want if you use the fish finder (cora reward). Just go to ter mer with the finder, click on it and follow directions to the bonanza. I find there is only one place in all of ter mer to find the salmon school, but at that place I can fish in three locations before the fish stop biting. You can return to the same spot a little later and repeat. Not using the pies, my only purpose at catching the darn things is to improve my display of large catches.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got my first one. Third time to the lost lands.. Wearing just a fisherman's suit, a little luck, and lrc/casting.. 120 Fishing. Good luck...

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive given up for now, until the bugs are worked out of fishing. It drives me crazy the hours I put in for the reward...

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive given up for now, until the bugs are worked out of fishing. It drives me crazy the hours I put in for the reward...
I'm with you Mule... I've stopped doing quests altogether because of the work/reward imbalance they currently hold. Haven't even started lookin for the rare fish yet, but from what I've heard here - I'll now put that on hold too...

When I look at the "Ask and Answer's" and other requests that the Dev's are dealing with, it makes me glad that I'm not one of them... Boy oh boy, do they take the grief here from some of the children of the boards... I know that if I were a Dev on this project and I came here to see feedback about my work (and by here, I mean UHall) and I saw all the Dev bashing that takes place, I'd have a tough time just doing my job... But - they have stated that they are "looking into" fishing, so we can just hope that they make some changes soon - so we can go back to what should really be fun...

Just sayin....;)

Last edited:

K.W. Li

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi All,

Just wish to share some experience, I wearing fishman suit with no bait, caught a fairy salmon beside the river that south of the Ter Mur Moongate in 15 minutes, you can spend some time there.