• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

stolen account

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I need one the devs to pls Im me on yahoo .. my account was taken on me last last night They Changed my password an email addy so now i cant even try to get it back

please im me on yahoo Frisky_MaranZano

I

imported_herk1287

Its ur own fault if ur account got stolen, you probably gave access to someone or had too easy password, in other words EA wont do anything about it

M

Monkeybear

<blockquote><hr>

Its ur own fault if ur account got stolen, you probably gave access to someone or had too easy password, in other words EA wont do anything about it

[/ QUOTE ]

When that fake login was about Lee was able to get the players lot and island back.....

M

Monkeybear

I'm sure if she provided a login name and info on the account she would be able to get it back.

G

Why you being so mean? She can prove with her billing info the acct is hers. She will get the acct back! Hopefully her avatars will be intact.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Herk, don't assume what you dont't know. And even if she did, i'm sure it was in good faith because some of us are trusting. BTW, theft is nobodys fault even if she did share her password. Maybe a bad choice on her part but then again, you are just assuming and yes, she can get the account back!

N

NightFlyer

That scammer site was one thing and very different than just having an account hijacked by someone you gave the information to willingly.

How many times have we all been warned NEVER ever EVER give out account information?

Common sense needs to kick in at some point.

If you give out account information to anyone other than a spouse or rl relative than you take your chances.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you give out account information to anyone other than a spouse or rl relative than you take your chances.

[/ QUOTE ]Even that isn't necessarily a good idea. I'm sure we've all heard stories of the disgruntled ex- and the drunk relative doing strange things with other people's logins...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When that fake login was about Lee was able to get the players lot and island back.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but that was because the scammer was stupid enough to post the scam *here* therefore it could be proven that it happened. Where proof cannot be given as to how this person got Friskerz acct info, I'm not sure EA would intervene, as they did not intervene on behalf of the many other people who accidentally gave their info to the wrong person through one of the many scams in-game. I'd imagine that intervention on the behalf of some but not of others would incite a riot that made the one when Parizad deleted some extra TC3 sims for one of the posters and they posted about it look tame.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

odds are she lost her account for good

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted same thing on 2/18/08. My account got hijacked, sims deleted, stuff taken. Guess what...all that stuff and sims got revived. Don't assume stuff please. Here is that thread:

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/sims/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=tsogeneral&amp;Number=701442&amp;Forum=

If you give Lee patience, he will work with you and get your sims and stuff back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Founder for that verification !

G

<blockquote><hr>

I need one the devs to pls Im me on yahoo .. my account was taken on me last last night They Changed my password an email addy so now i cant even try to get it back

[/ QUOTE ]
She or He i am not going to assume either way. BUT she/he NEVER saidt hey gave any personal info about the account out. Or did I miss that post. *rolls eyes* Too many people on here assume things to quickly and judge or think people are stupid.

N

NightFlyer

Maybe the OP could post more details on it?

If this wasn't the usual ...ohhhh I gave the info to my bestest friend and they turned out to be a jerkwad... sort of thing I will extremely surprised.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
She or He i am not going to assume either way. BUT she/he NEVER saidt hey gave any personal info about the account out. Or did I miss that post. *rolls eyes* Too many people on here assume things to quickly and judge or think people are stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only two ways an account can be hacked

1) A player is lured to a site that convinces them that they need to log in with their EA account name and password to access whatever 'services' are on the site. That's the type scam that was posted here that a dozen or so players fell into the trap of before the post was removed and that player dealt with swiftly. The players affected by that scammed were helped because of the fact that the scam was publicized here, and therefore EA had documentation of it.

2) A player gives their account information to someone that they think they can trust, and then that person turns around and steals the account under the guise of 'helping' the sim in some way, either by skilling for them, or giving them simoleans, or some other such way. It's still a scam and the scammer should be dealt with swiftly just like in the first case, however the player has to assume some personal responsibility because of the fact that its been posted here probably 50 if not 100 times over the years to NEVER EVER EVER give your account info to anybody in game, even if they are claiming to be a Maxis employee. Parizad and Lee both have said that they'd rather a player turn in a violation report on them and have it be proven that they are who they say they are, than to be too trusting and NOT turn in that report, only to find that you've been duped.

Those are the only two ways an account can truly be 'hacked' or 'stolen'. In any other situation its not really accurate to call it hacked because it would mean that the player willingly handed their account info over, without any lies or misrepresentations being involved. Anybody who's been posting longer than a year has probably seen at least one player come here and say they were 'hacked' when in reality they fall into this scenario. YES it still sucks that the person had all their stuff stolen, but it falls under the heading of 'caveat emptur' (sp?) or 'Buyer Beware'. Lee and Parizad have both been quoted as saying, if something in-game sounds too good to be true it probably is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If this wasn't the usual ...ohhhh I gave the info to my bestest friend and they turned out to be a jerkwad... sort of thing I will extremely surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is any of your, or our business? It doesn't matter why or how their account was hacked, they should get help to get it back. You know people pay for these accounts. If your yahoo is hijacked they help you get it back and that is free. What makes anyone here think that you just lose the account? It makes no sense whatsoever. Neither does making accusations and judgements based on speculation.

G

I still don't see where the poster said *hacked* either. I'm just saying they need help reguardless. However LOADS of companies *claim* accounts can't be hacked how very untrue i have a family member that was hacked in another EA owned game thru his yahoo IM, was sent an offline with a keylogger attached. Was that his fault then too?

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you contact Lee yet?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
How is any of your, or our business? It doesn't matter why or how their account was hacked, they should get help to get it back. You know people pay for these accounts. If your yahoo is hijacked they help you get it back and that is free. What makes anyone here think that you just lose the account? It makes no sense whatsoever. Neither does making accusations and judgements based on speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The deciding factor would be whether or not the person themselves had any part in the 'hack' or if they are indeed a true victim. If they are a victim, then I agree with you, they should get it back.....however, I can imagine if anybody was still here who did lose an account to hacking and EA refused to help them, they wouldn't be too happy to read that somebody else with identical circumstances to theirs got help when they didn't. If the person loses the account, then it's not costing them anymore money....all they have to do if the billing info wasn't changed is call their credit card company and have them refuse any charges by EA.com and put any other accounts they have on a different card, so all they would have lost is time spent skilling the sims and/or making money, which as stated before how big a part they played in losing their own account makes a difference in how big a tragedy that is.

Nobody's saying that they don't have sympathy for anybody even if they did give over their account information out of ignorance, but the lesson not to do that has to be learned somehow, and sometimes people just don't learn from other people's mistakes until they make the mistake themselves. It's a hell of a price to have to pay, but sometimes necessary from reading the various threads like this in the past

G

Did I miss where they said they gave out the acct info? It is still no reason to be mean.

I

imported_Qute Pi

Also you might want to call customer service, inform them your account was compromised. Maybe they can at least put the correct account information back.

Numbers I have that you can try:
866-543-5435
650-628-1001 (long distance, probably same as 866, not for sure tho.)

G

<blockquote><hr>

I still don't see where the poster said *hacked* either. I'm just saying they need help reguardless. However LOADS of companies *claim* accounts can't be hacked how very untrue i have a family member that was hacked in another EA owned game thru his yahoo IM, was sent an offline with a keylogger attached. Was that his fault then too?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a keylogger to be put on somebody's computer, the person has to click on a link and download something with the keylogger attached....something that seems 'benign' but isn't because it has the keylogger attached. Most anti-virus software will pick up on keyloggers, and nobody should download anything without first running it through a virus program. So then was it 100% his fault? No, because the person who put the keylogger there never should have done so, so the majority of the blame falls on that person, however yes it's up to us to protect ourselves knowing that there are people out there with malicious intentions, so at least a small part of the responsibility rests on our own shoulders when something like this happens.

G

I have never heard of anyone losing their acct. You call them and they look at the billing. If you have been paying for the acct they give you the new password.
If it were possible and they did lose their acct, they would lose all the entitlement as well. Good thing this is not the case.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Did I miss where they said they gave out the acct info? It is still no reason to be mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody's flamed, and said anything remotely like 'well you idiot why in the world would you give out your account info' or anything to that effect......that would be mean. Simply stating that all of us are responsible to a certain degree to protect ourselves is not being mean, its trying to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future to any new player who might be reading and not realize that there are these kinds of phishing attempts in various forms going around. Information like this might prevent them from falling for one themselves if they heed the warning without having to experience it first hand.

G

They were not asking for sympathy.
They were asking for help to correct it.

They were not asking for posters to call them stupid or judge them.

It is NOT your job to "make sure they learned a lesson" or to judge whether or not they are a "victim".

G

*just hitting reply*
No one can help or ask for opinions in CH wihtout some people here automatically being a smarty pants ( using pants to avoid the boot lol ).Someone always has something to say.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have never heard of anyone losing their acct. You call them and they look at the billing. If you have been paying for the acct they give you the new password.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had my pogo account hacked a little over a year ago, and spent almost an hour on the phone with customer support being connected to this person and that person, answering security questions over and over again, confirming the last 4 (or was it 8) digits of the CC/debit card connected to the account, and finally did get that back. I do know of people who had TSO accounts hacked in a similar fashion who were not able to get them back, because of one reason or another.....who knows why customer support dropped the ball, I certainly don't, or if they did manage to get the account back, when they logged in the account had been gutted, either with avatars and all wiped, or just with the rares wiped and avatars remained......so yeah, they got the accounts back, but not any of the sims or items that were swiped or deleted off the account in the process. This resulted in those players leaving the game they were so disgusted by the fact that they couldn't get the stuff back, even after proving that the account had been hacked, but it's been EA's policy for as long as I can remember not to replace lost or stolen items.

G

The items are one thing, the account is another. I can understand them not giving the items back. Some people are habitual liars. LOL I can see them lying about losing something they did not lose. For sympathy and maybe charity. Not everything you hear is true. Some people will pretend to quit the game then recreate.

N

NightFlyer

"Did I miss where they said they gave out the acct info? It is still no reason to be mean."

I'm confused... where was I "mean"?

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

The items are one thing, the account is another. I can understand them not giving the items back. Some people are habitual liars. LOL I can see them lying about losing something they did not lose. For sympathy and maybe charity. Not everything you hear is true. Some people will pretend to quit the game then recreate.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but from founders experience, Lee could have checked logs to make sure he was being honest. In fact, I'm sure Lee did lol.
We even joked because Lee asked him, what are you missing? I asked Lee, you just take someones word for it? lol...he said no he checks logs.

G

herk1287 said:

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not find that mean. You interpret the world differently than I.
Someone has lost their account. Came here looking for help and was told it was their fault. How is that right, in your world?

G

<blockquote><hr>

herk1287 said:

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not find that mean. You interpret the world differently than I. Here someone has lost their account. Came here looking for help and was told it was their fault. How is that right, in your world?

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said was absolutely true, though granted he could have been a little more tactful about it. Still, some people don't get stuff like that unless they are literally hit over the head with the rubber mallet of the truth, which is probably why herk dispensed with the tact and just went straight for brutal honesty. He said basically the same thing I did only with more words.....mine were simply caveat emptur.

I

imported_LFancey

Thanks Frisky,

I will look into this.

We can lock this tread now.

Thanks

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.