• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player News Stinky Pete: Origins

Stratics News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
It was a cold night in Barter Town. The kind of cold that cuts through leathers and woolen fabrics and chills you down to your core. The citizens of the slum huddled together forming a single distorted mass that, in the shadows cast by the huge fire in front of them, looked almost to be that of a large plague beast. Yet one man sat alone. Not due to his lone wolf disposition, nor antisocial tendencies, but perhaps only for the fact that the man had a smell that could drive off even the most diseased of sewer rats. The reflection of the fire before him danced in his eyes as he sat silent and unmoving. The thoughts racing through his head, though he did not know it at the time, were the same ones that would make him a legend. The very thoughts that would later define a legacy that would live on for centuries to come. Thoughts that would pave the way for ideals that would cross continents and continue to be spoken for the rest of time. It all began on this night. Today I will tell you of how Stinky Pete came to be the man that he was on this night, before he changed Barter Town, Minoc, Britannia, and eventually the world forever.

Pete was born to the poorest of fishmongers, a woman who no man in his right mind would associate with these days, even if only long enough to conceive a child. But his father, perhaps the best locksmith in Britannia, saw her for something more than the ragged hag that the rest of Minoc thought her to be. Perhaps his father was the warmest, kindest man in all of Britannia for taking the woman as his wife. The scrolls of Minoccian scribes often speak more of his kindness and generosity than his unrivaled skills with a lockpick. It is said that even on the day that his wife took her own life by wrapping barbed wire around her neck and diving into a fast moving river, he still shared a loaf of bread with a beggar. Pete never really spoke of the time when his mother was alive so the first eight years of his life will forever remain a mystery.

As a child, his teachers described Pete as highly intelligent yet incredibly unmotivated. He did, however, show an extreme interest in the history surrounding Minoc and Barter Town, particularly the tales of Chad Sexington, founder of Barter Town. He seemed to idolize Chad which led him to practice the art of stealing, and, as we all know, he was quite good at it. His social skills were severely hindered as well due to classmates bullying him for his uncanny odor. It is said that the name “Stinky Pete” was a product of this schoolyard bullying and that his nature of avoiding conflict led to this being the name that he would use for the rest of his life. Pete’s father often spoke of times where Pete would return from school in tears and scour his skin until he bled with soaps and perfumes to try to remove the stench that surrounded him at all times, but to no avail. As the boy grew older, he could be seen with a few friends, typically stronger, older boys who, probably for fear of losing their belongings, seemed to respect him.

Nobody can understand it, and many Minoccian scholars have tried. When you were anywhere near him, you could smell him from six feet away, but when he wanted to remain hidden, it was as if he could extinguish his foul stench instantly, like one would extinguish the flame of a candle. I doubt he even knew he was doing it, because if he knew he could, why wouldn’t he mask his smell at all times? I do know that on more than one occasion, his ability to hide his stench, combined with a silver tongue, allowed him to escape a surely tragic fate. Guards would often ask Pete’s accusers if they smelled anything unusual during the time the theft had occurred to which the honest ones would deny.

Pete’s father would often be called upon by the King or the Minoccian governor when they needed locks crafted or opened which led to Pete being left at home by himself for long periods of time. You would think that a grandmaster locksmith would be quite wealthy but he preferred a simple life and never accepted payment when he went on these quests. During these long absences Pete would usually be left with whoever his father had as an apprentice. Most were cruel men who rarely cared about the well-being of the child of their mentor which often led to them looking for new work upon his return. Pete’s father tried teaching him the basics of locksmithing countless times so that he could support himself when his father was away, but he never seemed to care much about the inner workings of mechanical things. Most of Pete’s dinners were stolen from Minoccian bakers, butchers, and merchants which is likely where he learned to perfect the art of stealth and sleight of hand.

A few days prior to the cold night around the campfire, Pete’s father was called upon by the Minoccian governor to unlock a chest that was uncovered during a recent excavation. The chest was said to be a lavish one containing priceless artifacts long lost to the throws of time. The locksmith worked on the chest for hours when the tumbler finally clicked and began to turn. Several more hours later, he managed to disarm the trap that was skillfully attached to the hasp of the ancient box. Almost immediately afterwards, the locksmith was shoved back into a crowd of onlookers as the governor’s most trusted men swung open the lid of the chest in excitement. To their surprise, the contents of the chest were quite underwhelming. Nothing but old rusty tools and a few copper ingots.

The governor was wildly angry. He ordered his men to bring the locksmith to the gallows immediately for fear that there were no shackles or jail cells that could contain him. The residents of Barter Town were shocked at this, for it was not the locksmith’s fault that there was no treasure to be had. The governor turned a deaf ear to the pleas of the citizens, his rage blinded him from reason. Everyone watched in horror for mere minutes as the locksmith was strung up and hung from the rope until the final convulsions of his lifeless body had subsided. He was then cut down and left to lay in the streets like a meaningless pile of garbage.

The citizens stared in awe as the governor silently and briskly retreated to his villa barring the doors behind him. There was a moment of confusion where the citizens mostly turned to one another in disbelief of what they had just witnessed. There was no lesson to be learned here. There was no justice. No honor. The very virtues they had studied their whole lives were just forsaken before their eyes in a matter of minutes.

The body was taken to Barter Town. A pyre was constructed despite the cold winter air causing frostbite in the extremities of the lumberjacks who hauled the wood. The boy, the son of the locksmith, would never be the same. The only love he had ever known had just been taken from him, without warning, without hesitation. As he tossed the torch onto the oily cloth at the base of the pyre, something shattered inside of him. He realized then and there that he would never know love again. Within seconds he had forgotten of the man who raised him. His father’s giving nature. The lessons of compassion were blown away by the frigid air hammering against the side of Mount Kendall and ushering in a lifetime of taking without mercy or remorse. In the next few hours, the boy would become a man raised only by hatred, rage, and anguish.

To be continued…

The post Stinky Pete: Origins appeared first on Ultima Online Stratics.

Continue reading...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No offense, but I stopped reading after the words Barter Town. That's an area that was tainted by Chad and should have been renamed.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know it's a lot of words Garth, I just don't have the artistic talent to make a pop-up book just for you. Sorry.

Barefoot Scribe

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense, but I stopped reading after the words Barter Town. That's an area that was tainted by Chad and should have been renamed.
The current residents of Barter Town hope to redeem it from its past ill repute.
And perhaps "Stinky" Pete will shed more light on this mythical (to some) character Chad in his story.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know it's a lot of words Garth, I just don't have the artistic talent to make a pop-up book just for you. Sorry.
My reply wasn't insulting you, there was no need to insult me. You clearly don't know about the stain that is Barter Town.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You clearly don't know about the stain that is Barter Town.
I never got involved with in-game lore / story line / player run communities etc so I don't know anything about the stain...maybe you can enlighten me? You must know quite a bit and feel pretty strongly about it for you to take the energy to post on a thread that you didn't bother reading the thread. Consider me interested now :)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My reply wasn't insulting you, there was no need to insult me. You clearly don't know about the stain that is Barter Town.
I'm sorry Garth, insulting you is like 75% of the reason I still post on Stratics. You're my best friend here, I thought we were cool like that.

I never got involved with in-game lore / story line / player run communities etc so I don't know anything about the stain...maybe you can enlighten me? You must know quite a bit and feel pretty strongly about it for you to take the energy to post on a thread that you didn't bother reading the thread. Consider me interested now :)
Well. If I had to guess Garth is whining like a 12 year old girl due to literally the whining of a 12 year old girl. But I'm not going to go into detail about that only because nobody could tell the story better than Chad himself. It's also a pretty good read:

There's 4 parts to the story. Literally a case of someone inviting a thief into their house and being surprised something was stolen. Had it been anyone else in the world, it would have just been Chad being Chad.

Last edited:

Barefoot Scribe

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles at Stinky's remark*. Ah this brought to mind an episode that I witnessed many moons ago when Chad was still with us. To the best of my recollection (which has been dimmed by advanced age) it was from the days when Gilfane was a player town in Malas near the pass between Luna and Umbra. Branwyn and Delores Duende were walking along the road and ahead of us a chest appears in the road. We stopped and looked at it; Delores being extremely curious decides to open it with her lockpicking skill (she was a dungeon thief). She knew of course that she was taking a risk in doing this, but curiosity and even more, avarice, got the better of her. As soon as her lockpick started to turn, *BOOM*. As the flames and dust settled, there on the ground lay her remains beside the chest. And as if out of nowhere, Chad Sexington himself comes toward us on the road; a look of feigned sympathy on his face.
Branwyn, now the Mayor of Minoc, and Barter Town resident; and her friend Delores still look out of Bran's window at Chad's Memorial and laugh about that day.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wonderful story Stinky. Can't wait for the next chapter.

This thread is what 25 years of UO is about. The good, the bad, the memories, the chaos, all of it. From Kat to Chad to Delores to Stinky and everyone in this game that made and participated in what ever manner they choose, brings this game alive.

Anyone know what Kat is doing now? Is she a Grandmother yet? ;) Rumor has it that she reformed Stinky Pete, he fell in love with her and magically he stopped being stinky and they now have a flock of little Stinkys and Kats terrorizing Barter Town. But I digress, this isn't my story to tell.

Thanks Stinky.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, for those following the story, I have a first draft of the second chapter and possibly the third, but I'm going to make you all wait at least a week before I publish anything because that's just the kind of guy I am.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It’s kind like GoT when it came out can wait to get more :rant2:

why Can’t you be like Netflix release a hole novel so we can binge lol

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It’s kind like GoT when it came out can wait to get more :rant2:

why Can’t you be like Netflix release a hole novel so we can binge lol
Why don't you write your own story? We could use more of that here on Stratics. I would love to hear it. @Captn Norrington was saying they need more content. That's the reason I started this project. Perhaps others will follow my lead and we can finally bring some life back here. I can see it now, people coming here to read some dope fiction instead of just incessant whining. Hell, even if it's not good it's better than reading most of this whiny drivel.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Stinky Pete

From Thief to Storyteller .... great :D .... continue plz :)
Well, I reckon my thieving days are pretty much over. I haven't really played UO in any form for the last 6 months at least and I don't really miss it. I have been writing quests and doing a bit of coding for a free shard though. My heart is still in UO but I no longer believe that playing is my calling. I would love to see more stories like this here and I may have some ideas to drive that. We shall see. Thank you all for your support.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, I reckon my thieving days are pretty much over. I haven't really played UO in any form for the last 6 months at least and I don't really miss it. I have been writing quests and doing a bit of coding for a free shard though. My heart is still in UO but I no longer believe that playing is my calling. I would love to see more stories like this here and I may have some ideas to drive that. We shall see. Thank you all for your support.
I did see that UO is looking for a content dev... maybe that would be your way to keep things going. Downside would be technically reporting to Bonnie but upside would be that as long as it's not your main gig then it probably wouldn't matter much. Perhaps it would allow you to put in some different style content that some of the old school non-trammies like.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It takes a certain type of person to be a good story teller and requires a lot of effort which I lack

I think I’ll just pancake instead:popcorn:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did see that UO is looking for a content dev... maybe that would be your way to keep things going. Downside would be technically reporting to Bonnie but upside would be that as long as it's not your main gig then it probably wouldn't matter much. Perhaps it would allow you to put in some different style content that some of the old school non-trammies like.
I would never, in 10 million years, work for broadsword. I'm doing fine doing what I'm doing.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is pretty bad when a Dev team has to look inside its player base for new workers to start with. I would think she would have learned her lessens from the past. But then I don't see many people jumping on it from doing a web search for dev jobs when there are 100 more better jobs out there.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is pretty bad when a Dev team has to look inside its player base for new workers to start with. I would think she would have learned her lessens from the past. But then I don't see many people jumping on it from doing a web search for dev jobs when there are 100 more better jobs out there.
I think the player base is probably the best place to look for a content developer. Whoever they hire would have to understand Ultima lore and we all know that people who don't play can't hold a conversation about UO for more than 10 seconds. Pretty much anyone they hire would probably hate it. Not only does the current dev team seem to be totally anti-creativity, 99% of the players don't really care about the content, only the reward for completing the content. This would be the most unrewarding job there ever was.

mihali

Lore Keeper
I respectfully disagree. It is not a bad idea to look into the playerbase for new workers. She would need someone (or more) that has at least some passion for the game, so they will not need to get paid premium programming wages, and like what they are doing. Also this playerbase has MANY retired and semi-retired professionals of all walks of life, including some pretty good programmers from what I gather looking at the posts. Also the playerbase folks know many more intricate things about the game, by just playing through the years. Only problem would be that the player base worker/programmer/content maker should not play the game anymore other than testing, and also sign a clause of instant termination if gets caught "helping" buddies in the game. About better jobs : There is a crunch on jobs including tech jobs right now. No too easy to find.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Posted! Enjoy the continuing Saga ;)

(I wish more people would do this, thank you Pete!)