• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stats/Race Question on Tamer/Bard

Greetings everyone,

Just coming back to UO after about 20 years, lol. Very exciting!

I am going with:
- Tame
- Lore
- Vet
- Music
- Disco
- Peace or Provoke (soulstone)
- Mage (basically to heal self, gate, etc)

I am still confused on which race to have it (this is very new to me) and which stats to have - not sure if dex influences on Bardic skills?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Greetings everyone,

Just coming back to UO after about 20 years, lol. Very exciting!

I am going with:
- Tame
- Lore
- Vet
- Music
- Disco
- Peace or Provoke (soulstone)
- Mage (basically to heal self, gate, etc)

I am still confused on which race to have it (this is very new to me) and which stats to have - not sure if dex influences on Bardic skills?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
You wont need dex, you want as much mana inc and mana regen as possible to run bard songs. Race is a personal choice (that sounded odd haha) I have one of each for a tamer (I rarely play my garg tho). Elves get more mana, plus night sight, plus higher energy resist. Humans are stronger and have JOAT (free 20 skills pts). Gargoyles can fly unmounted, I'm sure theres more but this is off top of my head.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Elves/humans ride mounts.
Gargs fly (move at mounted speed without a mount) but cannot ride any pet mounts.

Females can tame/ride unicorns. (Gargs and Males can control tamed unicorns but not use as mount.)
Elves can tame/ride cu sidhes. (Gargs and humans can control tamed cu sidhes. Humans can only ride cu sidhes by giving up boot slot for wearable Pads of the Cu sidhe.)

There are different gear options available depending on the race of the character, but that is not specific to tamers.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, for a Bard/Tamer, consider also that Only Elves can wear Song Woven Mantle (which give +10 Music).

With some equipment choices, you can get a Bard/Tamer with 6x120 plus about 100 Magery for travel and marking.

Mine has
120 Vet (105+15)
120 Lore (110+10)
120 Taming
120 Music (110+10)
120 Provo
120 Disco or Peace (105+15) (depending on whether I'm hunting or looking for a hard tame)
100 Magery (50+50)

Ning

Journeyman
I was gone for about 15 years myself and came back a few months ago. My tamer/bard has always been human. I've got the tamer 3, music, provo, and just recently dumped med for peace. Magery is GM but really just for the occasional invis, etc.

A couple bits I can share on coming back.

1) You are not as good as you used to be so, baby steps. I died a lot in the early weeks learning that lesson.

2) So much has changed it is almost a new game. Those greater dragons in Destard were quite the unpleasant surprise at first.

3) If you have a set of Cu pads in the bank, don't toss them in the trash for cleanup points figuring you'll never use them. I might have done something stupid like that. Allegedly.

4) Forget everything you thought you knew about pets and seek the advice of the pros. I kinda nerfed my trusty hiryu thinking I could figure out this training thing. Old vet hubris can be a b**ch.

This is excellent - and one of the reasons I am coming back to UO, the community!

Much appreciated all the input, thank you.

It's actually my first bard/tamer build and I'm going to 'copy' @Barasa's template, lol. I'll probably go with a female Elf.

For stats if I understand correctly something like 100 str 100 int 30 dex?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Disco/Tamer is Elf (Cu Sidhe Taming/Riding, +20 Mana, 75 Energy Resist Cap, innate Night Sight, and larger gear selection). He has 120 Taming/120 Lore/GM Vet/GM Music (120 with Jewelry)/GM Disco (120 with Jewelry)/GM Magery/80 Med (90 with Balakai's Shaman Staff when in MR/Taming suit). Very powerful in combination with a 120 Chiv+AI Pet (soloing) or a RC+AP Beetle (group hunts). The 80 Med allows him to maintain Consume Damage indefinitely while in his Luck Suit that only has 14 MR.

I don't have Peace or Provo on my Disco/Tamer, since the direct use of those skills is usually pretty weak nowadays, and the Bard Masteries are only truly powerful in a full 4x120 Bard build.

My Disco/Tamer has a 255 Stat Cap, and so has 120 STR/10 DEX/125 INT. If i put a Scroll of Valiant Commendation on him for 260 Stat Cap, i'd go with 125 STR/10 DEX/125 INT.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is excellent - and one of the reasons I am coming back to UO, the community!

Much appreciated all the input, thank you.

It's actually my first bard/tamer build and I'm going to 'copy' @Barasa's template, lol. I'll probably go with a female Elf.

For stats if I understand correctly something like 100 str 100 int 30 dex?
@PlayerSkillFTW has some awesome synergy builds although I will disagree and find my tamer bard very fun, I run peace mastery and disco target, I rarely have to heal my pet, even in my luck suit I can generally always keep it up, and can always peace to drop agro

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Very powerful in combination with a 120 Chiv+AI Pet (soloing) or a RC+AP Beetle (group hunts). The 80 Med allows him to maintain Consume Damage indefinitely while in his Luck Suit that only has 14 MR.
Thank you!

Sorry for the ignorance but what does AI Pet, RC+AP Beetle mean?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you!

Sorry for the ignorance but what does AI Pet, RC+AP Beetle mean?
The 120 Chiv+Armor Ignore pet is all about dealing as much personal damage as possible. It's great for when soloing mobs.
The Rune Corruption+Armor Pierce Beetle (i usually use Fire Beetle or Frost Mite, depending on opponent's Resists) is all about debuffing the boss, so that everyone deals more damage. Great for group hunts. When i bring a RC+AP Beetle to a guild hunt, the boss dies much faster than if i had brought just another 120 Chiv+AI pet. It's basically being a "team player".

Being able to apply Discord to the opponent myself, makes the pets (and everyone else) deal more damage and take less damage (in most cases). 120 Discord drops the victim's Resists by 28 and Skills by 28% (half that for 160 Barding Difficulty foes), while also applying a DCI/SSI/DI debuff. This allows the attacking pet to land more hits (due to victim's lowered Wrest/Parry skill and negative DCI), deal more damage when a hit is landed (due to lowered Resists), and take less incoming damage (due to victim's lowered Wrest/Tactics/Anatomy/Eval/etc, and negative SSI/DI). Discord is an incredibly powerful utility skill.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Lots of great information in this thread. Thank you.

*Gives you a wink and raises a glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute*

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The 120 Chiv+Armor Ignore pet is all about dealing as much personal damage as possible. It's great for when soloing mobs.
The Rune Corruption+Armor Pierce Beetle (i usually use Fire Beetle or Frost Mite, depending on opponent's Resists) is all about debuffing the boss, so that everyone deals more damage. Great for group hunts. When i bring a RC+AP Beetle to a guild hunt, the boss dies much faster than if i had brought just another 120 Chiv+AI pet. It's basically being a "team player".

Being able to apply Discord to the opponent myself, makes the pets (and everyone else) deal more damage and take less damage (in most cases). 120 Discord drops the victim's Resists by 28 and Skills by 28% (half that for 160 Barding Difficulty foes), while also applying a DCI/SSI/DI debuff. This allows the attacking pet to land more hits (due to victim's lowered Wrest/Parry skill and negative DCI), deal more damage when a hit is landed (due to lowered Resists), and take less incoming damage (due to victim's lowered Wrest/Tactics/Anatomy/Eval/etc, and negative SSI/DI). Discord is an incredibly powerful utility skill.
Good, useful info.
If you were to make a disco Triton, what are some builds that you tried that were kind of all purpose? Assume that the pet would do most of the damage, especially in a spawn. For instance - Triton:
Disco/Fww, Disco/FWW/PB, Disco/CB/FWW if possible? Or any ideas? Tyvm.

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't consider a Disco/CB/FWW due to the fact that FWW damage is physical and CB only lowers Energy resist. I have a Disco/CB for my mage with death ray mastery it works very well single target. I am considering with the new spawn a Disco/FWW because all the hits from FWW hit the boss if solo at the end if there is no spawn around so the damage is still considerable. I would run this with one of my alt tamers not the mage mastery one.
I would think the Disco/PB/FWW one could be interesting if the poison hits far enough away to draw them in for FWW, but one of the reasons I like FWW over a long range AoE is it doesn't switch targets to a mob half a screen away constantly.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

My tamer's had discord since before pet training, and I still prefer it on the character rather than the pet. Not all monsters need discord, and I'd rather the pet spend the points on something else.

Since coming back, my stable slots have filled with several each of tritons and cus, customized for solo or group fighting. When I'm with others doing a particularly tough boss, there's nothing like RC to amplify the damage, and a bushido pet as a meat shield.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't consider a Disco/CB/FWW due to the fact that FWW damage is physical and CB only lowers Energy resist. I have a Disco/CB for my mage with death ray mastery it works very well single target. I am considering with the new spawn a Disco/FWW because all the hits from FWW hit the boss if solo at the end if there is no spawn around so the damage is still considerable. I would run this with one of my alt tamers not the mage mastery one.
I would think the Disco/PB/FWW one could be interesting if the poison hits far enough away to draw them in for FWW, but one of the reasons I like FWW over a long range AoE is it doesn't switch targets to a mob half a screen away constantly.
Disco/PB/FWW sounds good: You will have to lose 100 points to initially put poisoning on in order to be able to choose PB, but its ok, they got many points. Then add the PB, then FWW, and finally add Disco. I will try this on test and see what happens, sounds interesting. And yes : PB draws lots of spawn from the periphery. Just I got to make sure there are enough points to add disco (500), then Disco 120 PS (?120?). I suspect that the damage output from this build could be pretty decent, but got to test it. Really really don't want to mess up training point allocation, and double make sure you got 120 in both Ninjitsu and Disco. UO-Cah.com calculator and TC1 is our friend..

As per @PlayerSkillFTW : "This allows the attacking pet to land more hits (due to victim's lowered Wrest/Parry skill and negative DCI), deal more damage when a hit is landed (due to lowered Resists), and take less incoming damage (due to victim's lowered Wrest/Tactics/Anatomy/Eval/etc, and negative SSI/DI). Discord is an incredibly powerful utility skill."

Only PITA with this would be the skilling process of two skills :FWW and Disco. Disco training is pretty slow at best even with discorded pet, but may be worth doing it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My tamer's had discord since before pet training, and I still prefer it on the character rather than the pet. Not all monsters need discord, and I'd rather the pet spend the points on something else.

Since coming back, my stable slots have filled with several each of tritons and cus, customized for solo or group fighting. When I'm with others doing a particularly tough boss, there's nothing like RC to amplify the damage, and a bushido pet as a meat shield.
Yeah, my Disco/Tamer usually uses 120 Chiv+AI pets or RC+AP Beetles. No need to put Disco on his pets, since he himself has it and is able to get better success chance with Slayer Instruments.
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © uses a 120 Disco+CB Triton though to tank and boost his Death Ray damage. When i combine my Disco/Tamer and his RC+AP Beetle with my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © and his 120 Disco+CB Triton, the boss just melts with all the debuffs on him. Some crazy Death Ray ticks too. Here's a 667 DR tick on Navrey as my Triton hit her for 100. Mind you, Energy is normally one of her highest Resists at 65-75...
Navrey DR.png
Against an opponent with no Slayer (so Death Ray is less effective) such as the T-Rex, my Disco/Tamer will use a 120 Chiv+AI 100% Energy Platinum Drake, and my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © and his 120 Disco+CB Triton will boost the Drake's damage output with Disco+CB+DR. Still a very powerful combo.

The pure Feint Triton (nothing but Feint+Healing) is probably the tankiest pet in game. A Saurosaurus with 85 Physical/90 Fire Resist is probably the second tankiest.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The main reason for Disco on a pet is that you can more reliably keep the disco on the target, than if the tamer/bard put it on. Having to invis, the creature moving(chasing after someone/something else, usually), etc. causes me to lose disco a lot, even with 120 Disco.

When the pet has disco and gets it off, it typically stays in the face of the opponent and the opponent will stay discoed.

The downside is that you have to get the pet to 120, maintain it there (especially when fighting stuff that can make it lose skill from deaths), and it doesn't get an instrument bonus. But, it is useful in the right circumstances.

Though, when it comes down to it, Disco on the pet is far more useful for the non-Bard tamer than for the Bard/Tamer.