• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Starting the game again since 5 years, have some questions, please take a look

Q

Quadrophenia

okay, I haven't played UO in at least 5 years, it was Age of Shadows when I played

have some questions now

-whats the newest expansion/patch I need to buy?

-do I need to buy any previous expansion/patches if I buy the most recent one?

-am I able to play on the old expansions? (I really loved age of shadows)

-if you can play on the old expansions, will they be empty and deserted? and would be a lot worth while to play on the newest one?

-I saw some screenshots of the new graphics/interface for Kingdom Reborn and I didn't like it at all, would I be able to play with the classic graphics and still play with everyone else? or are they two totally different games? or will I lose out on a lot of useful features?

-is atlantic still the most popular shard?

-what character should I make if I'm starting off fresh?

yeah a lot of questions, but I haven't played in a long time and forgot way too many things

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the current one you need to buy is the 9th anniversary. this upgrade and new account code includes all the older stuff..
you can find it pretty cheap in stores if its still around. think i paid 4.99 from circuit city.

your 2d client will update to the newest one and all you need is the update code if you cant find the cd in the stores and still have your aos cd.

at the moment you don't need to use kr if you dont want to.

the updates don't work like you think, if you install aos from your old cd and your account is still active you aren't on different servers with different people, you just cant use the new stuff that has came out.. this includes new lands, new skills, new items and new tamed animals.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay, I haven't played UO in at least 5 years, it was Age of Shadows when I played

have some questions now

-whats the newest expansion/patch I need to buy?
Mondain's Legacy.

-do I need to buy any previous expansion/patches if I buy the most recent one?
No.

-am I able to play on the old expansions? (I really loved age of shadows)
Doesn't really work that way. All expansion material remains unless superseded by later ones. Not having the latest expansions, though, means you will not be able to visit the new land areas or make use of newer items.

-if you can play on the old expansions, will they be empty and deserted? and would be a lot worth while to play on the newest one?
n/a

-I saw some screenshots of the new graphics/interface for Kingdom Reborn and I didn't like it at all, would I be able to play with the classic graphics and still play with everyone else? or are they two totally different games? or will I lose out on a lot of useful features?
There are two clients: KR and the classic 2d. Most people still use the classic 2d one that you are used to. Just make sure you download that client and not the KR one.

-is atlantic still the most popular shard?
I believe so.

-what character should I make if I'm starting off fresh?
*shrugs* Whatever you enjoy playing the most.

yeah a lot of questions, but I haven't played in a long time and forgot way too many things[/QUOTE]

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify, Mondain's Legacy is the latest expansion. The Ninth Anniversary box was just a promotion. Pretty much the only extra thing a Ninth Anny code will give you is the ability to use two more sets of house tiles.

If you are looking for a retail box, then yes get the Ninth Anny one. If you are just using online sources then get a Mondain's Legacy upgrade/new account code from the EA store. If you still know your old account details, your characters probably still exist and you can use the upgrade code to bring it up to date.

Q

Quadrophenia

I just registered and paid for the Gold/samurai expansion + 1 month game time on the uo website

this does include mondain's right? I wouldn't see why it wouldn't, that was the only option (aside from buying more game time at once)

J

jelinidas

If you still know your old account details, your characters probably still exist.

This is what I did. All my chars and bank boxes were in tact. Kinda like Christmas going through them. Call EA if you cant remember all the details, they can help you out if you at least remember billing info like the CC# you used. Worth a shot and beats starting over!

Q

Quadrophenia

This is what I did. All my chars and bank boxes were in tact. Kinda like Christmas going through them. Call EA if you cant remember all the details, they can help you out if you at least remember billing info like the CC# you used. Worth a shot and beats starting over!
nah I want to start fresh, I've played way too many different games, whether it be mmorpg or not, and I want to have a fresh start in my favorite one :)

now my question is.. mondain's legacy.. do I have to buy it seperately from the uo "code" store? for 29.99?

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, you will need two things. Firstly, the latest (presumably 2d) client. You can get that either by using your old discs and letting the patcher upgrade to the latest version or (recommended) downloading the new client (sorry, don't have the link).

Secondly, you need an account. To get the latest expansion you will need a ML code from the UO store. The new code comes with your first 30 or 45 days free (forget which) so that mitigates the cost a little. It also gives you an upgrade code for an older account. A 14 day non-ML trial code is also available.

The alternative to all that is finding a Ninth Anny box from some store. That will come with the client disc and a code for the latest expansion.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just registered and paid for the Gold/samurai expansion + 1 month game time on the uo website

this does include mondain's right? I wouldn't see why it wouldn't, that was the only option (aside from buying more game time at once)

No, it doesn't include Mondain's Legacy.

If you can find Ninth Anniversary at a store, it will have an upgrade code that will give you Mondain's Legacy. There is also a Mondain's Legacy code you can buy, that does not come with game time for the upgrade code (but does for the new code that comes with it), on the uogamecodes.com web page.

I'm not sure where you found the Samurai Empire code on the web page, but it's not on the page that you should have been shopping from.

You might want to call 1-866-543-5435 and find out how you managed to buy an SE code, instead of being offered a ML code.

Q

Quadrophenia

well I got a non-ML account for now (at least for today)

I'm on atlantic, anyone want to help me a bit here? :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't bother with the production shards. Renounce your young player status and come to Siege Perilous...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, but any vet who has missed the last 5 years should think about Siege as opposed to the production shards imo. To keep the flames to a minimum, I'll just say that today's production shards are nothing close to what this player last knew. Siege is as close as they will know.

Besides...I like to recruit for the shard. :) ...la

L

Lord Drakelord

Nope, but any vet who has missed the last 5 years should think about Siege as opposed to the production shards imo. To keep the flames to a minimum, I'll just say that today's production shards are nothing close to what this player last knew. Siege is as close as they will know.

Besides...I like to recruit for the shard. :) ...la

I have issues with Siege, one char only, cannot place a house there without losing a house on home shard, they should really allow folks to place a second home on Siege, just as they do on TC without losing their main homes on other shards. I not saying a Keep or castle, but a small house, say villa size would do nicely. If they did that then a lot more folks would come to Siege. Specially when their home shards are down for maint.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
've heard that suggestion a bunch of times. I dislike it. If people were able to place a second home, they would fill up Siege with house plots within a day. It wouldn't require them to actually play on Siege, so all the people who actually wanted to play Siege exclusively would have to scrounge for a spot.

No way, that idea is not good at all. Learn how to live out of your bank, or get a group of players together to share a house so everyone can get a chest in the community house. I'm sure there are people who would place on Siege if they started playing more.

In regards to the single character, yeah, that is tough, but what it has done is created many interesting templates on the shard. I'm sure vet players have learned what style character they like to play. There are plenty of crafters to supply PvP characters even if you aren't in a guild...or I know quite a few resource gathering characters that can defend themselves. *shrugs* Hell, with soul stones, there are some people with 20+ stones, and they merely have to wait 24 hours to switch up their templates...la

J

Jack Dan Mann

Comming back after 5 years? Did you try the rest and now have come back to the best?

Yeah, I took a three or four year hiatus. I let others have my account to do with as they pleased. I didn’t really plan on coming back, and when I finally did, my account had been stripped. I re-started with nothing other than a few somewhat built characters. I got back into it by killing Ettins in Despise, which was how I had originally started. Of course I’ve moved on from there and haven’t looked back. There is no better game than UO!

L

Lord Drakelord

No way, that idea is not good at all. Learn how to live out of your bank, or get a group of players together to share a house so everyone can get a chest in the community house. I'm sure there are people who would place on Siege if they started playing more.

In regards to the single character, yeah, that is tough, but what it has done is created many interesting templates on the shard. I'm sure vet players have learned what style character they like to play. There are plenty of crafters to supply PvP characters even if you aren't in a guild...or I know quite a few resource gathering characters that can defend themselves. *shrugs* Hell, with soul stones, there are some people with 20+ stones, and they merely have to wait 24 hours to switch up their templates...la
I have lived out of the bank on Siege since I dropped my L [was grandfathered, along with small towers on Baja, LS, Chessy] there to get a bigger house on Sonoma :love:, [Got an elder archer] :p, Since dropping those houses I quit playing on Siege as the bank box can only hold so much, and now days park that char's butt at Umbra and log in to trade across shards. Am I happy that I had to drop those houses to have a larger home on Sonoma, not really, but would I do it again? yep.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a character on Mugen, that has had to live out of a bank box. I suppose it was easy for me since I learned how to live out of the bank on Atlantic for so many years. I would just clear out the box of unnessessary items or sell items to make more room for the new loot.

Hell, you can even buy another 25 item spots for a few duckets off the UO website...la