• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stable Of Pets

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Right now I am in the process of filling my stable with pets. I used to run Greater Dragons but with the pet changes are branching out and having a blast. I am running around taming a bunch of stuff and don't want to waist my time on bad pets (cats, dogs, what ever). So my question what is the must have list for advanced tamers. Right now I have:

GD
Nightmare 2 slot
CU
Crimson Drake

Need to Tame still:
Death Beetle
GD - 4 slot
Drake (one of all types Energy, Cold, Fire, etc..)

Please help me round out the list of must have pets in the stable so I can avoid some pitfalls and get to training them up.

Best Regards,
Old Tamer Back Again

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My favorites not listed are:

Lesser Hiryu
Frost Mite
Najasaurus
Fire and Giant Beetles
Fire Steed
Frost Dragon
Cold Drake

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Need to Tame still:
Death Beetle
GD - 4 slot
Drake (one of all types Energy, Cold, Fire, etc..)

Please help me round out the list of must have pets in the stable so I can avoid some pitfalls and get to training them up.
I wouldn't bother with a four slot dragon unless it had overlapped wrestling and high resist, and due to intensity, it would be very rare to find and then have low hits.

I would say:

Elemental drakes (particularly cold)
Fire steed
2 slot reptalon
Hiryu/lesser hiryu
Frost dragon if you want another tank with overlapped resists/wrestling.
Something with rune corruption

Honestly, it comes down to what you like, your playstyle and what you are fighting.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Different pets for different tasks but in terms of tanks, nowdays most people will agree:
No. 1 all time best pet in game for most purposes and specs nefore and NOW : --Cusidhe-- make sure he has 590-600 hps untamed, and make sure cold res is as low as possible, pref low 70's. You can make diff specs of Cu, and they are rideable, just careful where you put training points on. Not a squishy pet at all.
No. 2 with new taming : The 2 slot Najasaurus. Has high magic resist, high poison, and can get lethal poison area spells, good for spawns, also you can put FZWW or AI on him.
No. 3 Fire Beetle, for 100% Fire, Rune corruption that drops ALL resists of t he enemy down by 50%, starts at 1 slot, and can be a tank. Blue beetle also for same reason, and massive storage for loot at high strength, and they are both rideable!
No. 4 with new taming: LESSER 1-2 slot Hiryus. Though they are a little squishy, they can get true Bushido, and AI possible Goo, and they have huge innate mana regeneration, the best of ALL pets. Also they are rideable.
No 5 New 2-slot Reptalons, with energy damage and stun, and rideable.
No 6 New FROST DRAGONS with 115-120 wres, 120 parry, other overcaps AND 1,000 HPS, and cold damage.
There are other great pets in game, and more will happen as promised by Devs.
DO NOT pay any money for weird looking stats/pets, or any pets and
do not waste your time on Cold Drakes : They look good on paper overcaps and all, but in real battle they are super squishy, unknown reason. Dont buy one, at least for now.
Dont get Dread spiders : Idea was great, but the gimped product is a failure : NOT enough slots to make this potentially top pet in the game, as it is now it is trashed.
Most importantly:-----VVVVVVV-----
If you have any legacy pets, do not train them yet, do not release them even if their slots look strange.
These are extremely valuable, and irreplaceable. Do not listen to people in game that they are worthless. Post the pets here FIRST and ask opinions here..I hope this helps a little.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Different pets for different tasks but in terms of tanks, nowdays most people will agree:
No. 1 all time best pet in game for most purposes and specs nefore and NOW : --Cusidhe-- make sure he has 590-600 hps untamed, and make sure cold res is as low as possible, pref low 70's. You can make diff specs of Cu, and they are rideable, just careful where you put training points on. Not a squishy pet at all.
No. 2 with new taming : The 2 slot Najasaurus. Has high magic resist, high poison, and can get lethal poison area spells, good for spawns, also you can put FZWW or AI on him.
No. 3 Fire Beetle, for 100% Fire, Rune corruption that drops ALL resists of t he enemy down by 50%, starts at 1 slot, and can be a tank. Blue beetle also for same reason, and massive storage for loot at high strength, and they are both rideable!
No. 4 with new taming: LESSER 1-2 slot Hiryus. Though they are a little squishy, they can get true Bushido, and AI possible Goo, and they have huge innate mana regeneration, the best of ALL pets. Also they are rideable.
No 5 New 2-slot Reptalons, with energy damage and stun, and rideable.
No 6 New FROST DRAGONS with 115-120 wres, 120 parry, other overcaps AND 1,000 HPS, and cold damage.
There are other great pets in game, and more will happen as promised by Devs.
DO NOT pay any money for weird looking stats/pets, or any pets and
do not waste your time on Cold Drakes : They look good on paper overcaps and all, but in real battle they are super squishy, unknown reason. Dont buy one, at least for now.
Dont get Dread spiders : Idea was great, but the gimped product is a failure : NOT enough slots to make this potentially top pet in the game, as it is now it is trashed.
Most importantly:-----VVVVVVV-----
If you have any legacy pets, do not train them yet, do not release them even if their slots look strange.
These are extremely valuable, and irreplaceable. Do not listen to people in game that they are worthless. Post the pets here FIRST and ask opinions here..I hope this helps a little.
Oh and one more thing : If you have a legacy nightmare, it is no longer worthless, it is actually now extremely valuable, and can train much better than the present day mares. Dont train it unless you become much more familiar with pet training, and before selling it check the prices in the non-rares forum pet-selling threads..
Also : Use the TC1 on a pet prior to comitting a pet to a spec, and test first there, make your mistakes there, not on production. Use GD,s and Balrons to test the spec, not a bad place to start..

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks so much for the advice! Think I will try to get all of the pets this week-end. Just added Fire Beetle, Giant Beetle to the stable. Super easy to get them and no deaths. Najasauru and Lesser Hiryus next then I will tackle the drakes.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A more long term goal would be to hatch a 4-slot Dragon Turtle Hatchling. Easier to get than a 4-slot GD, and not a screen hog. Trained up to 5, the resists and regens make it a really nice GD alternative. Mine gets used when I'm fighting things that my Disco Cu or Beetles aren't really suited for, that I would have used my GD on before the training publish.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
A more long term goal would be to hatch a 4-slot Dragon Turtle Hatchling. Easier to get than a 4-slot GD, and not a screen hog. Trained up to 5, the resists and regens make it a really nice GD alternative. Mine gets used when I'm fighting things that my Disco Cu or Beetles aren't really suited for, that I would have used my GD on before the training publish.
I think I got either 3 or 4 eggs..Can you hatch them at the same time? Takes like 3 days of watering once a day I think? What are the chances of being a 4 slot turtle? Is it like 10% or no one really knows? Would be awesome if they all spawned as 4 slots..maybe that would be in a next update? Would be a nice plus for tamers..I like the turtle idea..Plus they eat fish stakes, my favorite food, and they are so cool looking..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can incubate them at the same time.

What you do, once the eggs are ready, is hatch one, tame it, and if you don't want it, take it somewhere and either release it or give it away. IF you like it or it's a 4-slot, feed it and stable it.
Then, return and do the next egg the same way.

I've given away about 10 hatchlings (including what had been my first turtle), and currently have 2 - one trained up from 4 to 5 slot, and another that was a high-end 5-slot I got while trying for more 4-slot ones. I still have 2 or 3 eggs left.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can incubate them at the same time.

What you do, once the eggs are ready, is hatch one, tame it, and if you don't want it, take it somewhere and either release it or give it away. IF you like it or it's a 4-slot, feed it and stable it.
Then, return and do the next egg the same way.

I've given away about 10 hatchlings (including what had been my first turtle), and currently have 2 - one trained up from 4 to 5 slot, and another that was a high-end 5-slot I got while trying for more 4-slot ones. I still have 2 or 3 eggs left.
I got 1 or 2 eggs when Eodon first came out... since then I have NEVER seen another egg.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I got 1 or 2 eggs when Eodon first came out... since then I have NEVER seen another egg.
I am hoping, but not holding my breath that there will be a future update that will make ALL eggs hatch as 4-slot turtles..(Keep on dreaming)..So the rate for 4-slot is at best dismal..With such a massive effort to beat the spawn and boss and get rights to this drop once in 50 turtle spawns, and the drop is useless nowdays, since cannot be trained, at least a little..What a f***ked up deal!
ALL turtle eggs should hatch 4 slot hatchlings..
I think someday Devs may see the right thing to do, and give this idea a try..So will not risk my eggies..
Leggo my eggie! LOL..

bryndamor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

why is it that low cold resist ideal?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why is it that low cold resist ideal?
Lore the things you want to fight. You will find that few good targets do cold damage. I say few but I have not found any useful Mob that does cold damage.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't there dungeons that have a lot of cold damage MOBs in them?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't there dungeons that have a lot of cold damage MOBs in them?
Yes, Take your Cu to kill arctic ogre lords. But you will find they spawn too slow and the Balrons at Chaos give better loot, spawn quickly and give more fame.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
also cu paragons - i sorely regret not putting cold resist on my fire beetle when i have to clear those out.
Naj or Lesser hiryu for those.

How about the withers of Melisande? Or the withers at the Doom Gauntlet with all them Lich lords?
Most pets chomp Lich lords fast. I have seen every pet type at Mel and none have had issues. More players die than pets there x10

But yall go ahead and make the resists all 70s instead of using a pet that matches the damage and resists of a Mob instead.

We do have >40 stable slots now.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, Take your Cu to kill arctic ogre lords. But you will find they spawn too slow and the Balrons at Chaos give better loot, spawn quickly and give more fame.
isn't there a dungeon called ICE

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
isn't there a dungeon called ICE
Thats where artic ogre lords are. I figured you knew that. I took my pets there before the revamp.

Trained pets chomp those mobs down in seconds. Dont need any resists there.

I show new players. Remember killing these over and over. Now we can kill these over and over. Its amazing what a tamer can do now.

Pets kill ****.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Most pets chomp Lich lords fast. I have seen every pet type at Mel and none have had issues.
Please Pawain, don't see this as an attack on you, it is not meant as such.
Well, most pets down in the Gauntlet will be busy chomping a Dark Father so they won't deal with the LL that fast then? (And the Skeletal Liches in the Ancient Lich mini-champ can hurt fire based pets rather badly as well is our experience.)
And we agree on Mel not causing issues, but causing issues and dealing cold damage are not exactly one and the same thing?
How about another then, the chivalry mobs in Blackthorns Dungeon, replicating the Lighthouse Invasion troops but then 100 times stronger? Their consecrate weapon basically makes all the resists look like your 45 cold? So if in future events their will be Chiv foes, that leaves you at a disadvantage... Good thing there are many stable slots, but this is a thing one might consider. Not being able to make up our mind on the resists is the reason very few of our pets are finished products yet.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please Pawain, don't see this as an attack on you, it is not meant as such.
Well, most pets down in the Gauntlet will be busy chomping a Dark Father so they won't deal with the LL that fast then? (And the Skeletal Liches in the Ancient Lich mini-champ can hurt fire based pets rather badly as well is our experience.)
And we agree on Mel not causing issues, but causing issues and dealing cold damage are not exactly one and the same thing?
How about another then, the chivalry mobs in Blackthorns Dungeon, replication the Lighthouse Invasion troops but then 100 times stronger? Their consecrate weapon basically makes all the resists look like your 45 cold? So if in future events their will be Chiv foes, that leaves you at a disadvantage... Good thing there are many stable slots, but this is a thing one might consider. Not being able to make up our mind on the resists is the reason very few of our pets are finished products yet.
If you notice in my build threads. I always say set resists to the value you want.

Here is an opportunity to debate what those should be.

I think a general purpose pet should have 80 in the most commonly used.

The pet revamp has allowed tamers to go places we have not gone before.

How about another then, the chivalry mobs in Blackthorns Dungeon, replication the Lighthouse Invasion troops but then 100 times stronger?
If you can solo the captains with your pet then you are a badass!

After showing a new tamer what they can kill. I take them there and show them they are not invincible.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Since we have a twin, we are in the lucky position we never have to solo. But we did learn multi-clienting is a BAD idea there on our first (and only so far) visit! When our pets are fully trained, we'll be back! Did manage to take 3 down eventually but it was realllly not the right set-up. (Also had brought a pack of wolfspiders, OUCH! They did so well in the last invasions, but this is different stuff!)
For us, we hinge towards all 73 for general purpose pets and 80s for specialized pets, but yeah, that remains debatable. As said we hardly finished any pets yet since we keep doubting mainly about the resists...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lessers Hiryus and Beetles are easy to set up and they are a blank slate for resists.

With 110 scrolls and rune corruption, you can take on almost anything. Anyone could test resists with those.

I love building pets. T Rex and the Great Ape are great to test builds on.

More players should make threads highlighting their conquests.

This is the best UO Taming forum on the internet. :cheerleader:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have killed blackthorn captains with giant beetles, fire beetles, chiv ai cu sidhes and chiv ai lesser hiryus. All of them no problem at all, just a matter of time and adjusting. The chiv ai lesser by far outshines the cu sidhe (which also goes for most other monsters in the game), unless the captain has consume physical damage. Some of the captains require active healing with greater heals, others you can just sick your pet on 'em and run consume damage and just wait. Dexxers are faster than tamers but require more actual player skill.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have killed blackthorn captains with giant beetles, fire beetles, chiv ai cu sidhes and chiv ai lesser hiryus. All of them no problem at all, just a matter of time and adjusting. The chiv ai lesser by far outshines the cu sidhe (which also goes for most other monsters in the game), unless the captain has consume physical damage. Some of the captains require active healing with greater heals, others you can just sick your pet on 'em and run consume damage and just wait. Dexxers are faster than tamers but require more actual player skill.
Nice! Just curious, how long does it take to kill a captain with a tamer? Are you casting spells on it too or letting the pet do all/most of the work?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it really depends on a couple of variables:

is it a captain with high resists and low hp or is it one with low resists and high hp - what are his special moves (i.e.: does he pull you in, area poison, etc. etc.) - then your pet and it's build is a factor - and last but not least your own template plays a role.

I would have to kill a couple of them with different setups and actually clock how long it takes to give you exact numbers.
From my experience they take between 15 and 25 minutes to kill, so still way better drop rate than killing balrons or evil mages.

The standard skills I use are 120 magery, taming, lore. The rest is really a matter of personal preference.

I play on Siege so often times I will have 240 points in hiding, stealth and ninjitsu so I can escape PKs. That leaves 120 points for meditation to run consume damage and/or cast greater heals.

I also used 120 spirit speak, 120 eval and 120 spellweaving in wraith form (cast from scrolls using JoaT) - this works especially great with a fire beetle (rune corruption and corpse skin stack nicely, then blast with fire spells and don't forget to bless your pets. stop casting corpse skin when it's time to WoD) - this is probably the fastest you will kill captains. the downside is you're a sitting duck when someone tries to kill you.

What I have yet to try is meditation, music, provo with provo songs. Should make the chiv ai lesser hiryu rip through them but haven't tried it yet. Also might be hard to keep up mana when casting greater heals.

The beetles both have ai, rune corruption and poisoning with all skills at 120 while the lesser hiryu and the cu sidhe both have chiv ai and also all 120s. I like to keep resists at 80/75/70/70/70 (found a nice cu sidhe with almost max hp, max str and only 70 cold and 71 energy) and all regens at max except for stamina regen (usually keep that at 10).

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
From my experience they take between 15 and 25 minutes to kill
You have the patience of a monk!

What I have yet to try is meditation, music, provo with provo songs. Should make the chiv ai lesser hiryu rip through them but haven't tried it yet. Also might be hard to keep up mana when casting greater heals.
I have a tamer bard. It has 110taming/110lore/120disco/120music/120provoke/60med/80magery with additional +40 med from staff/ring/brace and +30 magery from ring/brace. It definitely speeds things up. Great for roof since casting spells on the bosses create spawn. Mana is certainly an issue if you don't have a partner to help with casting Gheals.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have the patience of a monk!
haha yeah as I said it's not the fastest way to kill em but it requires less skill and with the stealth setup has good survivability against PKs. I prefer to use dexxers to kill them though simply because they tear through them in a couple of minutes at the most.