• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

sry dragon fans ...

• Thread starter Fayled Dhreams
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fayled Dhreams

hmmmm
sry dragon fans ...
gonna have to TRY to block you
dragcave.ath.cx/*

getting a:

waiting for dragcave.ath.cx...

pretty continuously at the bottom of my browser ...
when loading the front page here ...

sry

G

<blockquote><hr>

hmmmm
sry dragon fans ...
dragcave.ath.cx/*

getting a:

sry

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you on dial-up or something? those images are like 2kb and you can't handle them? I just looked and the images were taking forever to load on my screen just now BUT they were not hurting my performance just a slow server that the images are coming from.

G

When there is nothing important to complain about I guess some people will complain about the littlest things like dragon cave images huh?

G

It's probably not the images that are the problem as much as the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the server they are being shown from.

Some browsers tend to hang up if a given server is having trouble communicating data. It used to be a HUGE problem for a couple of Stratics's ad servers causing the entire page to not load while the connection to the ad server for the banner ad would simply not connect.

That could be occurring to FD's system thus necessitating the need to block the communication to that particular server.

I

imported_xStrikerx

It's definately their server. Clicked on one of the dragons and it took 20 sec to load the page. A few of the dragon pictures in people's sigs here in this thread timed-out and didnt even load.

I

imported_Spiritless

Okay, whilst this is here I'll say my piece on this subject that has been running through my mind for awhile.

Basically, the dragon images and links to that damn referral site suck. If you really must involve yourself with it and feel compelled to have them in your posts, we have a signature space on the forums to put them in. I'm seeing an increasing number of people append these onto the end of the body of posts themselves and it's annoying.

I have signatures and avatars turned off. Why? Because I don't want to see the garbage most bedroom "digital artists" think look good and throw up in these spaces. The forums look much cleaner without those. I also don't care about which links you feel like putting there. I appreciate you all have a lot of "fun" putting stuff in those spaces, but I opt out by turning signatures off. People continually appending the dragon links to the end of their actual posts are circumventing this choice; I find it incredibly rude and obtrusive.

Moderators should be moderating people for it. Any recurring end tag for posts belongs in the signature.

[As a side note, I've long since firewalled off that site to prevent being annoyed by them or having to see them. My comments reflect my frustration in having to waste my time doing this in the first place, as well as anyone who feels the same that isn't as technically minded and has to see them.]

F

Fayled Dhreams

No Doomsday Dragon, 3x3meg cable ... as others identified ... hosting site slowdown... no proper "rescind request" when &gt;I'm&lt; no longer needing the image... I've moved on ...their still sending/waiting ...

Babble ... yes stratics loads fine and snappy quick ... then, there at the bottom ... waiting for the cute little dragons host site to "catch up."

PASmountaindew Hardly a complaint ... more a polite "heads up" that any Polite poster might want to know of ...(ooo causing a problem, sorry, let me fix it)
MY fix was inplace, and WHY I needed it ... no complaint, request nor demand ... nor accusations that they were doing it on purpose, had no right ...
etc etc e t c e t e r a *stands Brenner like with fists on hips*

Dermott of LS ; NMA ... nailed it.

Spiritless ... easy now... but yes ...OR maybe they could find a faster means of hosting ... something with wider bigger bandwidth ... a bucket or space or privately owned server ...
*shrugs*

I

imported_Coppelia

<blockquote><hr>

It's definately their server. Clicked on one of the dragons and it took 20 sec to load the page. A few of the dragon pictures in people's sigs here in this thread timed-out and didnt even load.

[/ QUOTE ]
Connection attempting to get the image... Images don't load.
So I adblocked the site to avoid further loading for nothing.

G

They have to host from the original site or the dragon dies.

S

St.Chris

<blockquote><hr>

When there is nothing important to complain about I guess some people will complain about the littlest things like dragon cave images huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're a mod, lol.

G

He's a mod of the KR forum among others... what's your point?

G

Thanks for the heads up, Fayled.

I really don't know much about this performance/loading up stuff and am hoping for a happy medium if only because the lil critters are fun.

I've popped just two in my sig space (limited to 255 chars there which is enough room for two of the lil boogers) rather pasting them into the text area now.

Is that or would that likely be any improvement? Or is having them in the posts at all likely to be problematic?

Perhaps they could be confined to a single dedicated thread? That way only those who wish to see, display &amp; click their own &amp; others' dragon cave eggs/hatchlings/dragons could do so without impeding anyone elses' loading speeds. Hmm. Tamer forum might well be appropriate for that...

Might that work?

F

Fayled Dhreams

I'm thinking that should work just fine

I won't be able to check it for awhile ... totally unrelated requirements on my end.

glad you took no offense, and Quick/polite concerned actions for others ...

I

imported_Leto

<blockquote><hr>

I have signatures and avatars turned off. Why? Because I don't want to see the garbage most bedroom "digital artists" think look good and throw up in these spaces. The forums look much cleaner without those. I also don't care about which links you feel like putting there. I appreciate you all have a lot of "fun" putting stuff in those spaces, but I opt out by turning signatures off. People continually appending the dragon links to the end of their actual posts are circumventing this choice; I find it incredibly rude and obtrusive.

[/ QUOTE ]Not quite how I'd have put it but I fully agree.

G

First...I'm sorry if my Dragons have caused any troubles...I'll bet they'll be a handful once they actually come *out* of the egg! Really though, I met no harm, just saw a few of them and thought it was fun to participate. You have to admit...they are adorable! The Adults I've seen are very interesting too...profiles are a nice read.

Having a stickied thread for our Dragon friends in the Tamer forum is a very good idea. That would provide us all with a space for all of our pets without disturbing others. We might even see more friendly clicks that way, too. I'm sure there are tamers who do not always read UHall. =)

I have mostly just had two, in place of a signature. I would like to continue to have these two in all of my posts, regardless of forum. However, if two are still causing an issue, I suppose I would remove them, although I don't want to, hehe. If it's not made an "official" Stratics request, I'm not sure if I would remove them....could depend on my mood that day. *grin*

Also the Dragons require a certain ratio of Unique Views along with other factors....if it's skewed too badly (auto-refresh, for instance) the egg will die. I'd hate to see them die often because we couldn't keep the young ones in UHall posts for a bit so that they could have a better chance of getting the needed Unique clicks. So that's something to consider. If two in the signature are not bothersome, then that would allow us to rotate Dragons as needed.

I think I put wayyy too much thought into this! =P

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
blocked whatever it is still a unique hit so block away

S

St.Chris

<blockquote><hr>

They have to host from the original site or the dragon dies.

[/ QUOTE ]

"When there is nothing important to complain about I guess some people will complain about the littlest things like dragon cave images huh?"

Seems kind of rude for a MOD to say, lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

There's plenty of things to complain about, such as how the last 800mb patch did not even begin to scratch the surface of the spit-can-client that KR is, but what's the point? It's clear that EA-Mythic has all but given up on improving KR, so we might as well complain about things that don't matter, since complaining about things that do matter fall on equally deaf ears.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Everytime I enter there is no eggs....there ARE no eggs...there aren't any eggs???

Whatever....what do I have to do to get some eggs???? *grumbles*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Everytime I enter there is no eggs....there ARE no eggs...there aren't any eggs???

[/ QUOTE ]
*posts her stuff*
Click on one (or all
) of these guys, then go to "get your own".
Good luck! There's only a few an hour.

hint and spoiler.....
(dont look)

Check at the very top of the hour....

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
<center>..mMwhuat ..??

</center>

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no no not at all i hit the wrong reply to button, i clicked your eggs BTW

G

<blockquote><hr>

Seems kind of rude for a MOD to say, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not half as bad or rude as I have seen here on U.Hall. Plus I did not mention anyone in paticular. I was merely just stating my opinion of what I see not only in this thread but generally on U.Hall. Sorry if you felt I was picking on you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Okay, whilst this is here I'll say my piece on this subject that has been running through my mind for awhile.

Basically, the dragon images and links to that damn referral site suck. If you really must involve yourself with it and feel compelled to have them in your posts, we have a signature space on the forums to put them in. I'm seeing an increasing number of people append these onto the end of the body of posts themselves and it's annoying.

Moderators should be moderating people for it. Any recurring end tag for posts belongs in the signature.

[As a side note, I've long since firewalled off that site to prevent being annoyed by them or having to see them. My comments reflect my frustration in having to waste my time doing this in the first place, as well as anyone who feels the same that isn't as technically minded and has to see them.]

[/ QUOTE ]Someone didn't play with enough toys as a kid... Lighten up sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]I think the point is fair, and insulting the poster doesn't change anything.
Just because an individual, or a group, feel one way. doesn't mean that's how everyone should feel.

The dragons are a meme.
A person has as much right to roll their eyes when faced with a meme, as they do to embrace it, and its propagation.

Personally, I gave up rolling my eyes at most memes, months ago.
I haven't blocked them, because I prefer to view a person's post in the full context. The adoption of this dragon meme (pun only peripherally intended), says a few things about the poster.

I will be interested to see how many people still have these dragons a week from now.
Or a month.
How long will it take for one meme to be replaced by another?

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

..mMwhuat ..??

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that the complaint is comeing frmo a person who creates reply to threads that seems to come frmo a 4 year old child, includeing crazy smily faces doing circles, ect. I appriciate your concern on my dragon cave that is IN MY SIGNATURE not a addition to teh bottom of my post, however I find at this time you are found wanting.

G

Thing is, as you have yours in your siggie area, those that don't wish to participate or view or be slowed on loading can simply click the "quit viewing signatures" button. I was copy &amp; pasting mine in the body of my posts so peeps didn't have that option.

You and anyone remotely interested in Dragon Cave schtuff are welcome to join us in the Tamer Forum Official DRAGON CAVE thread , Alvinho. Heck, I'll even click yer eggs &amp; hatchlings!

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

..mMwhuat ..??

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that the complaint is comeing frmo a person who creates reply to threads that seems to come frmo a 4 year old child, includeing crazy smily faces doing circles, ect. I appriciate your concern on my dragon cave that is IN MY SIGNATURE not a addition to teh bottom of my post, however I find at this time you are found wanting.

[/ QUOTE ]
context alvinho.... CONTEXT ...
Tis what your missing out on ...

The Kid eating scrambbled eggs ...
tis a reply to ... the quoted part by Larisa ...
"Everytime I enter there is no eggs....there ARE no eggs...there aren't any eggs???
Whatever....what do I have to do to get some eggs???? *grumbles* "
(a reply to Larisa ... mMwhuat? ... Kid with a mouthfull of what might be scrambled dragon eggs ...)

Obviously ... 'twas too subtle ... to pick up on ...

nothing about "you" ...'tweren't ... coudn't be ...

perhap's you mis-spoke here:

<blockquote><hr>

I appriciate your concern on my dragon cave that is IN MY SIGNATURE not a addition to teh bottom of my post, however I find at this time you are found wanting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never saw your signature ... 'twasn't what I was apologizing about needing to try to block (see op) ... Like spiritless (who kinda seemed really upset ... *shrugs*) ...
Like spiritless ... I have "Hide siggies" enabled ...I _ don't _ see _ any _ signatures ...

My "sry dragon fans ... ", "gonna have to TRY to block you" ... WAS about the ones still in the body of Text ... NOT because they were too cute / not cute enough ...
Because: "pretty continuously at the bottom of my browser ... when loading the front page here ... waiting for dragcave.ath.cx..."

catching on? "when loading the front page here ... waiting for dragcave.ath.cx" ...FRONT PAGE ...bottom of browser ... not reading a thread ... looking at the topic line OF all threads ... waiting for dragcave.ath.cx STILL at the bottom of browser ...

Ah well

gives me a chance to change the picture ... 'tain't "mine" ... 'twas "borrowed" ... lemme know if the replacement makes it clearer for YOU ...

Burma

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

PASmountaindew Hardly a complaint ... more a polite "heads up" that any Polite poster might want to know of ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe someday you will understand that your peculiar way of posting is not the clearest form of communication. Maybe someday you will get it.

F

Fayled Dhreams

yeah arcus ...
Twas indeed a MASTER piece of confusion and beffudlement ... what I was talking about in the original post

too many words
too many "punctuations"
too many misdirections as to what was being done or requested
too large to simply grasp with out certificates of higher learning

Indeed a MASTER piece ... worthy of re-quoting !!!

<blockquote><hr>

sry dragon fans ...
#7649672 - 03/01/08
hmmmm
sry dragon fans ...
dragcave.ath.cx/*

getting a:

sry

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_Spiritless

To be honest, the others have a good point. Most of your posts are barley legible at best. I'd suspect a large majority either skim read most of what you write, or ignore it completely. I include myself within this bracket.

Tips: <ul>[*]After every sentence, or string of words as the case may be, you do not need a carriage return.
[*]Posts with smilies randomly in the middle of nowhere are more difficult to read and do not even convey emotion as they were intended to; they're just adding noise.
[*]Properly structured sentences make for clear communication. Most of what you type is severely fragmented and follows no logical sequence.[/list]I don't really think you can expect people to accurately take away the key message you're trying to convey from your posts most of the time while you're posting as you are now. You're not exactly communicating in a fashion that'd be deemed as clear and efficient by the majority. People aren't going to spend much of their time trying to decipher what you're trying to say, either.

Take care.

G

I'm just one poster, however, I very much enjoy Fayled's posts.

I certainly didn't have any difficulty whatsoever understanding this one (that differs dramatically as the mathematical content increases!) and I did what I could where I could to accomodate Fayled's unique but courteous (as ever) heads-up.

If anything, I happen to appreciate Fayled's posting style. How dull this life would be were there not individual, creative sparks such as Fayled.

I

imported_Spiritless

Posting in fragmented English counts as being "creative" now? Most kindergarteners must be little creative geniuses! They should be made to avoid English classes at all costs to preserve their exceptional talent.

G

Ok...so in the end, have we come to a compromise? And what is it, exactly, so I can comply? I'm easily confused...hehe.

Are we supposed to discontinue having a couple of Dragons in our signatures and just have them in the Official thread? Or can we still have 1 or 2 in place of a signature?

Or did this just refer to Dragons appended to the ends of posts? Basically, I don't want to upset anyone, and would like to know for sure what's been decided upon by others participating. =)

I

imported_Spiritless

In my opinion, as I do not represent the Stratics moderation team in any way, shape or form thank God, I see this as fair:
<ul>[*]Signatures are fair game. It's your own personal space and, within reason and the rules, you can put anything you like there.
[*]Threads dedicated to that particular topic, if they're permitted by forum moderators, are fair game for links. People know exactly what to expect when visiting the thread so can't really have any complaint.[/list]What I personally have issue with are people effectively having a "second signature" by copy/pasting the code onto the bottom of every single one of their posts. It means people who have signatures turned off have to see them and it is effectively circumventing the desired signature limit as determined by the administrators.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I think ya'll have ...
I've got 'em blocked ... as posted in the op ...
Ya'll aware of the might be aspects ... working on aspects to "fix it" ... from y'alls end
Gots a thread for open display of alla what cha got going and growing ... over in the tamers forum ...

Don't mind those trying to make it about me ...
in net parlance ... they just trolling
(not adding TO the thread ... adding suggestions ... finding fixes ... setting policy .... building community)

all in all ...re: awareness and fixes ...

pretty good thread ..

motions to mods

Status
Not open for further replies.