• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spellweaving Warrior??....Spellblade?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just not feeling the melee templates anymore, I've tried quite a few now but I just don't feel comfortable with these new mixes. (I miss my old pure Paladin)

Now I seems to me that Spellweaving could be a melee caster hybrid?
My main question would be, do I need 120 Spellweaving or would GM do?
Spellweaving don't require LRC so that's great for a suit build.

120 "Melee"
120 Anat
120 Chiv
120 Tact
120 Parry
120 Spellweaving ??

Or possibly...
120 Melee
120 Anat
100 Chiv
60 Tact
100 Parry
100 Spellweave
120 Bush?

....which skill to put with it though, Swords or Mace......

Anyone have any thoughts on a Spellblade build?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I've played it before, years ago, for PvP. It did very well.

I combined it with 4/6 Chiv and Med. Using a shield but no Parry.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I should've mentioned it's for PVM.........i'm a Trammie ;)
Although I've just been playing around with it on Test, seems you can cast any Necro spell whilst in Horrific Beast form now but none from the other schools.
Brings a whole new load of things to try tomorrow :)

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go 120, stick on Protection from scrolls and use it for WOD and healing? Not sure if it's worth the investment tbh

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well scratch the Necro Horrific Beast part...turns out that's only possible on Test.
How are we ment to check new ideas if we can do stuff on Test that we cannot do on live shards??

So i'm reading more on spellweaving and thinking I could possibly drop Chiv completely with the temp below?
120 "Melee"
120 Anatomy
120 Bushido
120 Tact
120 Parry
120 Spellweaving

Would get heals from Bush and Spellweave + HPR from items,
Damage increase from items and Spellweave plus I have a huge source of 100% damage weapons and slayers.
Would also have a "emergency button" in Etheral Voyage
Plus could charm a helper or cast annoying bees
SSI increase bonus with Reaper form and a damage shield.

It sounds very doable?

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where's your damage increase from SW? Ethereal Voyage has a long cast time and cannot be used if you're currently being targeted. Cooldown on Gift of Renewal and time between ticks makes it an unreliable source of healing. Really the only thing that SW has going for it is your ability to charm a tank like a cave troll.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was thinking, Immolating weapon for extra Fire damage and WoD once they are down to about 1/4 hp.

maji111

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It's an interesting template. It would help to know which part of PvM you are heading towards, whether that be champion spawns, peerless, group encounters. We are at a point where pretty much every one of the most 'efficient' templates have been mapped out, so you'd be looking towards making a template viable for fun, which would differ significantly based upon your aim in PvM.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was going for a char I can send anywhere without the thought of being insta-dirt napping.
I'd love to be able to use it in the Gauntlet but from what I've read, unless your a Sampire then a melee char is useless down there....

maji111

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
For a generic, adaptable spellweaving hybrid build, I'd personally recommend:

120 swords
120 bushido
120 tactics
60 parry
90 chivalry
120 spellweaving
120 anatomy/resist

Allow me to explain my thought process.

60 parry is very negligible above 60 if you are running 45 dci, which, with the new tier 3 swords primer, is relatively easy to acquire. This is due to the fact that swords vs wrestling checks and DCI checks mean that a significant proportion of incoming attacks never reach the parry check stage. However, 60 parry will allow you to obtain the 3rd tier reduction of special moves, allowing for survivability, especially considering the mana cost of spellweaving.

Chivalry is necessary in any rounded build due to Consecrate Weapon being absolutely phenomenal. It's easy to assume that all reptiles are weak to cold, as are all demons and so on, however, there are plenty of exceptions to this rule. Divine fury, can be useful if you are running armour that doesn't provide stam loss prevention and you should, in order to hit 55 lmc for your hybrid abilities. EoO is also essential in combatting non slayer mobs and works as backup damage for when perfection isn't possible.

120 bushido is almost a requirement for encounters with any amount of spawn. The damage you gain from being able to momentum strike and gain whirlwind bonuses, will definitely keep you alive on certain encounters and more importantly, keep that mana bar full. Evasion is also sometimes your only hope in the cases where you double miss with whirlwind.

The split between anatomy and resist is for a reason. As long as you are hitting your target at 1.25s with the above template, anatomy will do nothing except make the fight shorter. It won't make it particularly safer, it just equates to overhealing and a small bonus to evasion. The reason I prefer resist to anatomy in many cases is that if I want to stand still and smash my axe into Juo'nar, Neira or any high skill necromancer mob, I can do so without being worried about insta killing myself. Yes, you can use apples, but, I prefer the reliability of resist so that I'm not dieing to mana vamp, mana drain spam, which is relatively common, or even well timed paras etc.

Personally, I see few occassions where spellweaving will become useful, however, the above template is probably your best bet at having a rounded build involving it. It is essentially a sampire template without the Necro, which many people run to great effect; it's only downside is that some encounters that have great damage output are more difficult or impossible due to the reduced health leech. The difficulty you will face is in suitting around it. Whilst not requiring LRC, the ability to fit FC/FCR into a suit whilst maxing the required warrior imbues, would be challenging; my only idea around that is the potential to have swap out jewels for 2/6, but, that is something that requires a tad more tinkering around.