Spellweaving and taming

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 26, 2009
UK
I am picking up SW on my tamer and was looking for advice... one thing I am thinking is using a 6 focus along with Etherial voyage and target self honor will i still be attacked if i fail taming.. I.e i have ev in place, honour myself and start to tame, dies a failed tame count as an aggressive act?

thanks
Sanguinius

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
You just need one or the other.

And you can sit there and anger them all day and they don't attack until the effect wears off.

J

[JD]

It's nice to have the option but I never bother to honor tame any more. I just beat the pet down if it's a nuker/has range and then invis tame.

The EC displays a monsters hp in percentage so you can tell when you are getting it low without worry of killing it. Slayers for the more dangerous pets like Bane, GD, or Rune Beetle (Dragon slayer, arachnid slayer) make it even easier.

SW seems like a massive waste if you only use it for ethereal voyage. Hopefully you use it for everything else too!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
SW seems like a massive waste if you only use it for ethereal voyage. Hopefully you use it for everything else too!
My thoughts on Spell Weaving (note: this is for PvM as I rarely PvP)
Attunement- Awesome spell, save my hide more than a few times. As a 0 skill spell any human that doesn't do the SW'ing quest just for this spell is just being stupid.

Gift of Renewal- Great spell for pets, pretty good for melee.... minimum skill 0 too.....

Immolating Weapon- Never really used this spell.... need to test it sometime.

Thunderstorm- Seems like more of a PvP spell than a PvM spell, haven't seen much effect when used in PvM.

Nature's Fury- Great spell, 1 slot summon, very useful in PvM.

Summon Fey- Nice summoning spell, especially when you need a lot of them quick (summons 1 per level of focus per cast upto your slot max). Unless Nature's Fury, these can be commanded. Great casters, crappy hit points.

Summon Fiend- Never used, but figure it's close to Summon Fey.

Reaper Form- Pretty sweet form, I've been thinking about trying to use this form as a melee. With a level 6 focus, +11% SDI? Yep, that alone makes it worth it.

Wildfire- Area affect Fire Field, awesome spawning spell. Great against Travesty.

Essense of Wind- Top notch spell. Amazinging effective in PvP and PvM. AWESOME AoE spell for spawning.

Dryad Allure- Decent spell, takes up 3 command slots, as a tamer, I've never used it. I think the best you can charm is an Artic Ogre Lord.

Etheral Voyage- Great Spell. Need a corpse run into a crowd of beasties? Need to tame that agressive pet? Also great for pulling a single or couple of creatures out of a group.

Word of Death- THE Spellweaving spell. With a level 6 focus, doing 500+ points of damage per cast when the creature is 30% of below in hit points. With no SDI cap, if you max out SDI (and yes, slayer spell books affect the damage, and no, there is no damage cap) you can get some really nice damage.

Gift of Life- Awesome spell, self res cannot be underrated. Last 17 minutes with a level 6 focus and 120 skill.

Arcane Empowerment- Probably one of the more misused spells. Most people I talk too seem to only cast this spell right before starting WoD (which granted, is awesome), but don't know that is also bumps up your healing spells (+14% healing to a pet is NICE). Also, makes your summoning spells much more effective.

So, other than Immolating Weapon, Thunderstorm, Summon Fiend and Dryad Allure- I use all these spells quite often and they are VERY much worth the 120 points I have invested.

I need/want to test Reaper form and Immolating weapon with a melee character.