• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spectral Spellbinders and Spell Resist Training in Old Haven

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Devs please add some direct damage spells to the the spellbinders. Maybe magic arrow,harm and poison to keep some players from pulling that mob to a boat and sit there and "train" their spell resist skill

G

/signed (although a bounceback would be better)

When the mobs aren't killed they don't respawn. Makes it hard for a new player when all the targets are sucked away by the vets (I say vets because if I were a new player I wouldn't know to do the boat thing...)

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps if the spellbinders stay outside of their usual "haunts" they dispell after about 5 minutes.

G

who cares.

heavin forbid someone trains resist without scripting...

Ok, nerf spell binders and everyone will go back to scripting it.

VETO

G

I've used this method probally 3-4 times from 40-115/120. Works decently. I see nothing wrong with it. You have to keep them flagged to you.

D

David of FL

It took me over a year to work my first char to GM resist and it took the old reaper trick to finish the last 15 points.

Maybe if skills were easier to gain through normal game play, people wouldn't have to sit on a boat in Haven for 6 hours just to GM a skill?

Besides, during the couple of times I've used the spellbinders to gain resist I've sat there for hours on end and never seen another player come along. Need some actual new players before you worry about their "training" area.

C

Crystilastmous

A mage in an LRC suit can easily train his resist by continually weakening himself.

You can train it even faster if you have multiple friends weakening you.

IMO Spectral things in haven = slow resist training. Make friends.

G

Gotta put my vote in for "bounceback".

But then the Spellbinders aren't the only ones that need that effect either.

PLENTY of situations exist where bounceback should occur...

T-Map spawn (they should also block removal of items from the chest until killed)

High end Paragons (i.e. the Ancient Wyrm in Ilsh)

Champ Spawns

Basically anywhere that has a localized mix of creatures to prevent luring away "junk/unwanted" creatures to farm the desired ones.

I

imported_revenant2

So what if people use a monster to train their magic resist up.

I'm sorry to hear that it took that one dude a year to train his resist, what a waste of time and a pain in the ass.

I have a better way to train resist, but if someone wants to use spectral spellbinders, then leave them the heck alone and doan tell them how to build their chars or try to enforce your expectations of UO on them. eh!

Not all of us are trying to wait a year for GM+ resist, nor walk 10 miles to school and back, uphill both ways, in the snow every day of the year, and always in the dark.

I

imported_Heartseeker

You sound like you don't have a life.

If others methods bother you then ignore them.

There is more than one way to train a skill.

So basically mind your own business.

S

stevethepirate86

if there is an issue with it kill the spellbinders if you have a problem they cant stop you your in trammel. then go train your skill while the other person kills your spellbinders. makes a vicious circle.... or just simply wait or see if they will let you join them that worked for me. first time i saw it dude let me on his boat when he was done and let me train all went well

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]I do.

<blockquote><hr>

heavin forbid someone trains resist without scripting...

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if they were scripting or not and neither do you.

<blockquote><hr>

Ok, nerf spell binders and everyone will go back to scripting it.

[/ QUOTE ] Nerf? I am asking for a spellbinder buff.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You sound like you don't have a life.

[/ QUOTE ]So because I ask for something that you don't like means I don't have a life? Nice touch.

<blockquote><hr>

If others methods bother you then ignore them.<blockquote><hr>

Ignore the problem and hope it goes away?

<blockquote><hr>

There is more than one way to train a skill.

[/ QUOTE ]You're right. One way is to hog a spawn from others and just sit in a boat and "train" resists and theres the second one where there is no spawn pulling and the gains are honest.

<blockquote><hr>

So basically mind your own business.

[/ QUOTE ]And here is the point of contention in the game and on the boards. If I raise a concern on the UOStratics boards pointed at the Devs I am told by fellow players to "shut up and look the other way".That is sad...it really is.

To the other players that posted and told me to just kill the spellbinders. I have many times,and those ppl that were actually at their computer when I unloaded on their trainers,would cuss me up and down,and would *tell me* to stay away from their spawn.

S

Smokin

I really don't understand whats wrong with it, one thing is you have to stay on top of them and target them because they lose target after awhile and wander away anyways. I actually found a way to use them to train resist and healing at the same time.

I know the boat thing maybe consider a bit wrong but the idea of them being the way they are is to help in training resists.

I

imported_revenant2

I don't suggest doing it on a boat, it's against the rules because the boat's a player placed object and you're using it to defeat the monsters' mobility while using them to build skill for yourself. GMs WILL get you for it if you get reported. Find another way, such as running around in large circles and letting them chase behind, or finding another place to stand where it uses natural obstructions in the environment that the monsters don't have the AI to deal with (for example, spectral spellbinders do not open doors, whereas lich lords will - - I would hope that using this nature of the spectral spellbinder AI wouldn't be held against players).

I

imported_Mark Trail

UNATTENDED resist training doesn't work perfectly.

Any player can walk up near the boat and kill the spellbinders. Or walk up to the haven Inn and kill the spellbinders casting on the player on the stairs. Or just wait and the spellbinders get bored and wander away. I agree that adding a magic arrow or harm would be nice, but the current system is not a game stopping issue.

Also any player who wants to train safely can cast weaken on himself and gain resist without the spellbinders.

Bounce-back would not work. Somebody would find a safe place like a rooftop and train at the spellbinders home spot. Or write a script to train resist on the open ground.

Sure it looks lame and no self respecting player would train resist with a gang of spellbinders for several hours, but there are worse issues to worry about so let this one slide.

I

imported_onthefifty

i don't have a problem with this. i have used this method to train my resist up but not on a boat, rather running around with them following. u have to flag on them sporadically to keep them on you. can this method be scripted or afk, i don't think so but donot script in any event.

i have had people come up and kill the spellbinders while doing this as well as some wanting to take the spawn from me when im finished. either way is cool.

i would think casting weaken on oneself repeatedly is much more easily accomplished afk or using a loop than this method.

im taking my taming to 120 which is on its ninth month. that i can put up with. i'm not sure i agree that every skill in the book has to take a year to raise until you can adventure around sosaria without taking dirtnaps. isn't game exploration the fun part of the game?