• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SPAMMING

• Thread starter independent117
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

independent117

hey me and a few friends were wondering what is considered spamming? whats good spam and whats bad spam? <font color="red"> </font> and where can ppl draw the lines? thanks : )

I

imported_Juniper Skye

Bad spam: Walk into a money house and say "hey everyone come over to my place, I'm having a contest"

Not sure if anyone considers anything a good spam, most people don't like spamming in general.....me, I don't mind if someone sends me a message about something going on at their house or something like that.

I

independent117

i agree thats kinda stupid to disrespect somebodys house liek that. but what about when it comes to IM's

I

imported_Qute Pi

I personally don't mind a PM letting me know of an event.
I also don't have a problem with spamming other people via PM lol.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

Bad spam: Walk into a money house and say "hey everyone come over to my place, I'm having a contest"

Not sure if anyone considers anything a good spam, most people don't like spamming in general.....me, I don't mind if someone sends me a message about something going on at their house or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I agree. I don't mind an IM about something going on, I like to try new things and be informed on whats new. I just think it would be rude to walk into a house and shout it to all the people.

G

<blockquote><hr>

i agree thats kinda stupid to disrespect somebodys house liek that. but what about when it comes to IM's

[/ QUOTE ]

Walking on to someone else's property and quietly IMing all the guests to invite them somewhere else is I think worse than doing it in open roomchat.

Asking a roomie/owner first if its okay to make an announcement about a special event later or a house for sale/clearance sale is imo the polite thing to do.

The only "good" spam I can think of is an IM saying "247% skill speed now" or "payouts on xxxxxxxx/at the factory is double/triple right now"

Polly

I

imported_Fire Dragon

I don't appreciate ppl saying "I'm Live DJing on blah blah blah in IM" If you can't do it in room chat, which is easier for me to ignore, it makes me wonder if the Host/ess appreciates you doing it at all.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

I don't appreciate ppl saying "I'm Live DJing on blah blah blah in IM" If you can't do it in room chat, which is easier for me to ignore, it makes me wonder if the Host/ess appreciates you doing it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg I hate it when people IM me about their radio stations! Listen... I Don't care, lol.

I

independent117

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Walking on to someone else's property and quietly IMing all the guests to invite them somewhere else is I think worse than doing it in open roomchat.

Asking a roomie/owner first if its okay to make an announcement about a special event later or a house for sale/clearance sale is imo the polite thing to do.

The only "good" spam I can think of is an IM saying "247% skill speed now" or "payouts on xxxxxxxx/at the factory is double/triple right now"

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

but polly that part where said about the im skilling at blah and payouts on blah blah blah, thats not even considered spam or should be because its a fact. there gonna know it on the house bio your payouts are blah blah and when they come in there gonna know what the skill speed is. but as far as spamming, i think that to tell a person they are invited to a grand opening of a skillling house is great news. not a spam. should be happy to know YOUR invited. but so many ppl take that as spam and i dont get why lol. its like in RL when ppl send you a b-day invite in the mail, its not spam lol itS your personal invite lol

M

Mr Me

LMAO.... See why ive banned her 100000000 times... For Crist sake make a house the honest way.... BUILD IT THEY SHALL COME&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

I

imported_rpsky3

it is rude when a person goes to another skill house, gets the names and on the other sim, messages them and tells them to come over and skill cooking at her house, when in fact, i am already skilling cooking where i am. that is spamming and is very rude!

G

I think spamming is when dj's PM you to tune them in. The room chat is saying tune them in every 10 sec. Then they have to PM you also. I do not play the with sound on. I certainly do not want to listen to music. I prefer T.V. It is irritating to me to get hounded to tune in and they get mad at you because you don't. What about when they PM you to see if you want to buy some rares or something. With any room chat and when Dj's get on my nerve I will leave. I play with 2 or 3 sims and to tell them 3 times is stupid. I hate to be hounded about anything when I play. Sometimes I even put the privacy on so no one can PM me.

I

imported_MARCIN2006

I don't mind nice spam, and I usually end up helping or following the sim who spammed me, my lot or the lot that I was at. But if its bad spam, then I ignore it, or get mad at them
Here are some examples,

My form of BAD spamming is this,

Seeing a visitor enter a lot and scream
" HEY EVERYONE COME ON OVER TO MY LOT, ITS LOTS OF FUN, WERE GIVING OUT $50 TO EACH VISITOR "

or

"HEY EVERYONE LISTEN TO MY RADIO ITS SUPER COOL GO TO www.IDONTCARE.COM, ITS GREAT, IM DJ'ING RIGHT NOW, IM PLAYING THE BEST HITS OF THE 30'S"

Also,

"SUPER LOT FOR SALE! ITS SIZE 1 IM SELLING FOR 800K COME HURRY"

The nice spam would be this,

Entering a lot and saying,

"Hi everyone, sorry to bother you, but I just opened my lot and would like some visitors, we are having a contest and would love for everyone you can to come, thanks"

or

"Hi everyone, I would like to tell you about my radio station, i'm DJing live now and would appreciate it if you could come and listen, thanks!"

also,

"Hi everyone, I was wondering if any one is interested in buying a size 1 lot from me, or knows anyone looking for a lot, any help is appreciated, thanks"

G

<blockquote><hr>

but as far as spamming, i think that to tell a person they are invited to a grand opening of a skillling house is great news. not a spam. should be happy to know YOUR invited. but so many ppl take that as spam and i dont get why lol. its like in RL when ppl send you a b-day invite in the mail, its not spam lol itS your personal invite lol

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not know who you are sending the invite to, then it is spamming. Being on the same lot as someone does not mean you know them. If you sit on a skill lot and use a second sim/roommate not on that lot to "invite" everyone on the lot you are at, that is spamming.
An invitation can most certainly be spam.
In my RL email inbox I am constantly invited to help someone in the Nigerian government move large sums of money. I am constantly invited to buy prescription drugs for a fraction of the cost. I am constantly invited to meet beautiful Russian women. I am constanly invited to verify my banking information online.

G

Personally, I would not spam either in IM or in house chat.

I don't think it makes any difference how the message is delivered, you should not try to draw people off the lot.

I don't mind that much if I get an IM like that, but I'm sure some people will resent it, perhaps tell the roomie, and you might get banned there.

Use a spotlight, write about your event on the forums, tell your friends to come over and stuff like that instead.

I

independent117

yeah i dont like it when ppl go to your house and pretend to do whatever it is your house does, but secretly IM's ppl asking ..hey do you wanna be my roomie or um whats another one , hey do you have any money? its like omg go make some money yourself lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in city mode looking for a house to go in, I don't mind an IM like that, but I DESPISE the ones that go into a house, bookmark everybody there, leave the house and then spam everybody that they just bookmarked. Especially if your house is the same type of house you just did that on. That's just the supreme breach of etiquette in my mind because basically you're trying to steal visitors.....to lure them from where they are to your house, and especially for the premium account visitors, that could be really detrimental to the house owner where you were, so I would never do that to anybody else. If I were to restart a house I'd just put 3 of my own sims on the lot, get a spotlight and hope for the best. To me that's the most sportsmanlike way to go about it.

I

independent117

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in city mode looking for a house to go in, I don't mind an IM like that, but I DESPISE the ones that go into a house, bookmark everybody there, leave the house and then spam everybody that they just bookmarked. Especially if your house is the same type of house you just did that on. That's just the supreme breach of etiquette in my mind because basically you're trying to steal visitors.....to lure them from where they are to your house, and especially for the premium account visitors, that could be really detrimental to the house owner where you were, so I would never do that to anybody else. If I were to restart a house I'd just put 3 of my own sims on the lot, get a spotlight and hope for the best. To me that's the most sportsmanlike way to go about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG YOU SPOKE THE TRUTH LOL BY FAR THE BEST COMMENT SO FAR : )

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that makes me nuts too....I was at a body house a week or so ago and had just landed and a DJ was there, and apparently the guy IMed people as they landed even though he was talking in room chat, like people couldn't figure out he was a DJ and *ask* what station he was with if they wanted to listen. Alot of people can't listen to radio stations at the same time as they play, especially if they run a bunch of sims at once, and other people already have stations that they listen to or they listen to their own MP3s. Something like that makes me think that the station has a low listener rate and they are basically begging for listeners, which speaks bad for the reputation of the station.....so it backfires from what they are originally trying to do.

I

independent117

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that makes me nuts too....I was at a body house a week or so ago and had just landed and a DJ was there, and apparently the guy IMed people as they landed even though he was talking in room chat, like people couldn't figure out he was a DJ and *ask* what station he was with if they wanted to listen. Alot of people can't listen to radio stations at the same time as they play, especially if they run a bunch of sims at once, and other people already have stations that they listen to or they listen to their own MP3s. Something like that makes me think that the station has a low listener rate and they are basically begging for listeners, which speaks bad for the reputation of the station.....so it backfires from what they are originally trying to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i 100% AGREE..see its like there spamming but house owners seem to not care, they let them spam and say its not but ...it is lol. i think if ppl wanted to know she should IM ppl. i have left lots of houses because SERIOUSLY every 5 mins or when they'd come in the DJ ppl would talk and say that aka spam the house. and i just dont think its right.