• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) Soulstone Graveyard Saved

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Through the collaborative effort of many people, much of Lord Paidric's Soulstone Graveyard could be preserved.

The tower, containing hundreds of soulstones from departed citizens, collapsed earlier this evening. Since I owned some property nearby, I decided to continue the tradition and managed to rally many kind souls willing to help with the endeavour. As the tower collapsed, all the boxes were loaded onto pack animals and hauled through a magic gate to their new destination. Initially everything was put into chests, but I can proudly proclaim that I've already completed the process of sifting through the stones and put them up for display in Mottecreek Bastion's basement. Initially, the stones were sorted solely by color, but I've now also sorted them by type, hopefully making it a little bit easier for the rightful owners to reclaim their lost property.

The new soulstone graveyard will operate on a honesty principle. The basement is open to everyone during most of the day (unless the castle is hosting any private parties) and everyone is free to test out the soulstones and take anything that belongs to them.

Should you be in the possession of other such stones, you're free to drop them off at the graveyard for as long as there is space. Either drop them in the appropriate boxes or in the mailbox and I'll sort them out.

Many thanks to everyone that undertook effort to reclaim these stones this evening. Thanks to you, an integral part of Europa's history and culture has been preserved.

Signed,

Hotep Shakkara

===

* Please use the Enhanced Client for browsing the soulstones, I had to remove them from their crates to save significantly on lockdowns.
* The graveyard runs on honesty, please keep everything tidy and do not move soulstones between boxes
* If you participated in recovering stones but left before I could give you a reward, let me know.

Directions:

===

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With roughly 50 soulstones disappearing overnight, it seems that the honesty system fails to work and I was forced to lock everything down. Apparantly there are some vague NONCONFIRMED rumours floating around that soulstones might possibly have some value in the future when turned in for cleanup or otherwise. Since no-one left a message, I assume the stones were taken for this reason. This means that it's not possible to access the stones anymore. Leave me a message if you want to make an appointment to see if any of the unknown stones work for you.

I also express EXTREME disappointment towards the thief, whose actions ruined what could have been a great public way to get people to return to the game. If you change your mind (as there likely WONT be any way to capitalize on soulstones in the future) and return the stones, that'd be most appreciated. The mailbox is always open.

The good news is that several players have handed in soulstones for the collection and more people have indicated they are willing to do so, thus it won't be long before the graveyard will recover.

Signed,

Shakkara

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can you tell if the unnamed ones are yours? Just says "You must wait to perform another action" when you try and click, and in 2d (since I thought it might be a weird EC thing) it says "you are not allowed to access this".

Last edited:

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you can't try now since I had to lock them down. That was my main reason for leaving the boxes open, so everyone could try them. But since one person can't handle freedom, it's appointment only now, thanks to the thievery. :(

Send me an ICQ, 162669263

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sighs* I saw this thread and came straight in to warn you of this potential problem; but already people have been stealing? Depressing again.

From Ask and Answer 9:

Phoenix: We are currently evaluating ideas for what to do with these, including implementing an exchange program that will allow multiple soulstones to be turned in and exchanged for new soulstones.
They thus should never be put open to the public whilst this is still up in the air, the temptation will be too great for many of the toe-rags that infest us these days... however my understanding is you could still check whether a soul stone was yours if it was Locked Down by clicking upon it? It'll be ALOT of work for you, which I appreciate running a Lore library myself, but the way to do it is this;

1.) Lock down the Crate with all the Soulstones arranged in it already by saying "I Wish To Lock This Down", not "Secure This"
2.) Set the security of the Crate to Anyone. This allows the Crate to be viewed, but items cannot be removed from them.
3.) The Soulstones will now be Locked in place, hence putting them in first. If one is out of place, you have to unlock the crate and re-arrange them all
4.) Now for the hard part; there is a bug with the Pinco UI. You need to switch it off for this, because it disables the ability to set nesting security (security for items inside a crate). You need the Default UI for the EC only
5.) Shift Right Click (Right Click if chosen) each individual soulstone and set it to "Anyone". It cannot be removed from the crate, but it will allow it to be accessed by the owner to check if it's theirs... They will then have to ask for you to remove it and give it to them. However, you'll need to unlock the entire crate, and then reset the security of every Soulstone to remove just one. As you can imagine, it's highly frustrating... I have the same problems with books, put one accidentally covering the other for Classic users, and you have to restart and do up to 124 books' security all over again.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The theft happened right on the first day. At first I thought it was just people claiming what was theirs, but today I got the warning that people would want to steal them to possibly turn them in later. So whoever did it read the tread pretty fast after it was posted. It's just pretty disgusting that anyone would take what isn't theirs and destroy a public place in the process, even in a game. Ah well, the tragedy of the commons eh, a few people like that leading the whole world to ruin for minimal personal gain.

I'll check about the security settings. I'm just VERY busy with real life and don't have time (nor mood) to click through 600-700 items right now.

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey again; I understand the frustration, the initial setting up is a complete pain! But I've done a bit of testing, and it seems the new Retrieval system added in the last Publish helps out enormously... once you've done all the setting up that is! You can use Retrieval to target a single Soulstone and remove it to your backpack, without unlocking or changing the entire crate. It can then be put back and it's security reset too, but it'll allow you to grab just the ones people want to claim...

But yes, there's some seriously selfish people in game; One book library I first found way back when I was setting up my own hadn't Red Leafed most of it's books, so someone had gone through copy and pasting the same trolling message to most of them... destroying the sense of deep community for a short term thrill. Depressing.

Aragorn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
such a shame a relative few has to ruin it for everyone im very sorry shakkara :(

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But yes, there's some seriously selfish people in game; One book library I first found way back when I was setting up my own hadn't Red Leafed most of it's books, so someone had gone through copy and pasting the same trolling message to most of them... destroying the sense of deep community for a short term thrill. Depressing.
Thats the main reason my own library isnt open to the public. I just cant stand the thought that I miss a book and not red leaf it and then some ******* comes along and deletes it. I have books written by players who not only no longer play UO, but some have passed away in real life.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
awesome....well done...its great to know the good work that we started will continue on.....

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a word to alleviate the disgust generated by people like the thief, scripters and low-life generally. I have found in my time in this game that for every one of them there are several who are their exact opposites, when you think about the good deeds some of them do it puts the actions of people like the thief here into perspective. They restore the faith scum try to destroy.

More power to them.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
u should be able to lock the boxes down but set open to public.. they cant take them....then set each soulstone to public too.....then they can click them to see if they are theres...but cant pick them up!!!! seem to think this is how we used ti do it at the original graveyard....nit 100% but we deffo had it so pepole could click the stones and they would get a messahe that they were theres... they would then need get owner of house to release them

iam afraid peeps will simply hoard soulstones now that the devs come out with such a neagative/dumb idea as being able to turn in old stones to recieve a triator/turn coat soulstone in return

Last edited:

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a word to alleviate the disgust generated by people like the thief, scripters and low-life generally. I have found in my time in this game that for every one of them there are several who are their exact opposites, when you think about the good deeds some of them do it puts the actions of people like the thief here into perspective. They restore the faith scum try to destroy.

More power to them.
Yeah I know what you mean. But sadly 1 idiot can destroy stuff permanently in an instant that has taken someone else a long time to create =)

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People were already hoarding them for years on the off chance there would eventually be something like this from the devs. Those who want to do the community thing will continue to maintain institutions like the graveyard - those who don't, were never likely to hand over their stash. As others have said though, shame someone decided to exploit the honesty system here, maybe just unfortunate timing with the official announcement of some kind of turn in happening at some future point

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair is a horrid idea...maybe player power can stop this....b4 it does happen....jesus who wants a ''betrayal soulstone'' for handing in xxx amounts of other peoples soulstones....thats sooooooooooo wrong

Last edited:

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despite the minor setback, I'm pleased to report that the graveyard is already recovering fast, thanks to the people that recovered soulstones from houses that recently collapsed during the week.

New soulstones added:
5 red
10 green
2 blue
4 fragments (found one at luna bank today!)
+ some more last week that I didn't count

Soon I'll make sure the stones are accessible again, please be patient.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to the 50% discount on account upgrades the storage problems are a thing of the past :)

Just updated the stuff from the mailbox, thanks to everyone that contributed! Still can't seem to make the stones publicly accessible so you still need to call for an appointment if you want to take a look, but I did have 3 visitors. No stones belonging to them unfortunately.

New additions:

26 fragments, 4 red, 2 green, 1 blue.

Thanks to Wanda, Marina, Sir Rodger and Narochito Nogami for dropping them in the mail!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are available over the weekend, and you feel you can trust me, I can try and pop around and help set up the soul stones for you. Saturday or Sunday afternoons are best. The instructions above are still valid, I'm holding a few that Wanda donated along with a small lore collection and tested on them; it's just a slow process...

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
great job...u need to lock the chests down but access open to anyone....then people can try the stones but cant take them...pretty sure this is how we had t set up .........also dropped a few full stones off today that fell this week...couple of well known players

Last edited:

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've lost a full one, with 120 fencing in the past ( well, my dexxer did ) when one of my old houses was located just outside Luna, Northern-East corner. The house was called Witches's Cove cos I was the gm of the "original" Witches guild ( we had the W tag instead but this was...erm....*cough* time ago :p ) . The spot was the one where a white bunker ( lol, sorry ) is now, the one with loads of potted on steps , and close to the Bluebell shop ( hi Glenora :p )
I don't believe that my soulstone can be alive these days but....never say never :)

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Isabella, Heimlich and Relem of Ter Mur for the new load of stones! And the usual people bringing them in also! 19 more stones added! Plus a bag belonging to Raiden, going to keep those together.

Just ICQ me if you want to see if any belong to you. Don't have one with 120 fencing I'm affraid though, just looked...

Last edited:

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi i was just wondering if i could be granted access to the soulstones to search through for mine... really unlikely you will have as its been about 1yr since i lost but always worth trying

Gliowen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
hey there, me and my husband just returned to the game and lost all our stuff as we stopped coz our house went idoc. i would be pleased if you could take us a look into the stones you have left if there are any of ours inside. thank you already for all the work you have put in.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes any soulstones can be dropped in the mailbox, thanks for contributing :)

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to Bartman, Drewster and Wanda for contributing more stones :)