• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] SOS waypoints off the grid?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After doing a half dozen SOS shipwrecks tonight, I tried to sail to a location north of Yew three times tonight, and each time as I got near the green dot on my map (EC), I was suddenly teleported near Moonglow.
Do SOS waypoints sometimes locate off the grid so you can't sail to them?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think they are 'off the grid'. Sometimes they are so near the server line that it makes it very hard to get close enough to them to actually fish them up. Has happened to me but very rarely and I have been through a ton of SoS. Usually just have to come at it from another angle. Get as close as possible and don't forget that you can get closer by changing your position on the ship deck. Only remember one that I just gave up on.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Looking to get ready for merchants, thinking of ammo, do you find the main bottleneck to be getting enough saltpeter? Do you mine it or buy it?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Getting the salt peter is the toughest. I generally mine it myself but sometimes I find I need to buy it, Find some areas in dungeons that have little to know spawn and mine for the salt peter. It can only be mined in dungeons.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I almost forgot, the other hang up is you need different crafting skills so most have to use 2 crafters.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Getting the salt peter is the toughest. I generally mine it myself but sometimes I find I need to buy it, Find some areas in dungeons that have little to know spawn and mine for the salt peter. It can only be mined in dungeons.
Does it still spawn in Ilsh?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am not sure, since one cannot recall there, I generally just keep bouncing around dungeons in tram. I really am not sure why they haven't opened Illshenar to being able to mark and recall there.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it spawns in Ilish. Put some luck on your miners suit. Hit the Spirit moon gate and mine your way along the rock wall in a clockwise direction. it. You can get quite a bit. Don't forget King's Collection painting drops Heavy Powder charges. Saltpeter goes a lot farther when all you have to use it for are fuse cords.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just did an SOS that seemed to be on land just barely. I put it in my Davie Jones locker and it gave me different coordinates like original it said 45 20 N 66 32 E or something like that but in the locker it said it was 1 N 66 E. I went to that coordinate and fished it up

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The SOS coordinates aren't "off the map" as much as the way boats work, is that you wrap to the the other side when your boat is close enough to the server line that you could potentially have the boat straddling the line. The smaller the boat, the less the issue, and I THINK (not sure) that if you sail with your boat parallel to the server line, you can get closer than if you approach it bow-first.Usually, you can stop just short of the server line, and cast from the part of the boat closest to the server line, to get to the area that counts for the chest.

If you have to, park your ship offscreen and deploy a rowboat to get to the location.

Last edited: