• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sometimes I wonder...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Masteries. I admit, I never was sold on the idea. Didn't like the time invested in creating them, when that time could have been spent fixing bugs, making bods a worthwhile system so you could turn them in and get points to spend for what you needed, instead of a boxcar load of picks and prospecting tools. It would make even the weapons bods worth doing.

Also thought the time would be better spent programming in turnin points being available as one number for the account/shard, like checks were made to be. Instead we still have to store the stuff and have one char do all the turnins to maximize the points.

But anyway, I played the game. Got the book, ate the primers, both archery and chiv. This is a 120'd out archer template that got them. Gonna give it a chance, see what the todo is all about.

Archery...used the flaming arrow (think it was named). got an extra 7 points damage-by using ALL my mana. I shoulda just chunked a rock at it.

Chiv...was t-hunting with Dev, she got low on mana and stuff so I did rejuvenate. AWESOME!!! Then I found out it had a 11 hour cooldown. WTF REALLY? I could see 10-15 minutes or a bit more, but limited to twice a day, assuming you play 24 hours.

I won't be pursuing any of the others, done with that. Altho I understand that some think this is the bestthing ever, I rank it right up there with refinements as far as usefulness for the average Joe.

Just my opinions, flame away if you want, but I will speak my mind.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are a few masteries well worth their salt like Spellweaving (easier level 6 focus, the reaper is awesome), Swordsmanship (onslaught, I love thee), macing (stagger, you are a more elegant weapon from a more civilized time) and animal taming (hooray for an easier way to train taming).
But the cool downs need to be reviewed. 1 hour for war cry is ridiculous and kills the main selling point of the bushido mastery. 12 hours cool down for rejuvenate is stupid turned up to 11. The 15 mana from those two masteries are nice, but doesn't make up for the idiotic cool downs.

I don't have much experience with the other masteries to have a formed opinion on them.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no arguments here. i think it's an added complexity the game doesn't need. the time to create some of these useless masteries could've been used to improve existing game mechanics or bugs.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe they did fear doing some templates over powered. Archery always get the nerf stock, as a lot hate archers almost as much as tamers in PvP.
I'm sure Poison Mastery was better on TC too, than after it hit prodo shards. Sure I can poison with all my bows now but I fail a lot adding poison to my bows and I rarely add more than lesser poison to my target, even when I used several bottles of deadly poison to poison my bow.
I know at least one was crying about archers and poison in PvP but why do it also have to be nerfed for PvM? Can we at least changes this to only count for PvP. "debuff will be reduced on ranged weapons"

I gave up on Archery Mastery already on TC, it's not worth it. The damage from Flaming Shot is not worth it.

I do however like the masteries, as they add more options without being a must have. It also make more use real skill points.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one that finds it humorous that we have one post stating that masteries stink and another saying a mastery is overpowered? I find the extra 15 mana on a basic sampire build very handy. Onslaught is awesome for double strike weapons often times out producing AI by a considerable amount. Also going to have to play with holy fist now considering many are claiming that it is OP.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think the best solution to all of our problems is for the developers to only work on stuff I approve of.