• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Something's not right with my tailoring

D

Dragonchilde

According to the FAQ, I'm at 104.1 and have eaten a 120, so I should be able to make cloth ninja hoods for gains... problem is, my success rate is over 98%! That's not right. I double checked my talisman, and I'm wearing a smithy talisman, so that can't be it. I've double checked real several times.

What am I doing wrong?

Has the difficulty been changed?

Here's a screenshot of everything, so you can see I'm not imagining this. :)

Is there anything I can make out of cloth at this level?

Attachments

W

Whinemaker

I believe you can do ninja hoods until 115 for gains. After using a 120 you can gain from anything until it reaches 75% in "Exceptional Chance". So yeah, nothing's really wrong with your tailor. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Specifically, you can gain on any item until it reaches the theoretical success chance equal to the Scroll you used.

So, for a 120 PS, that means you can gain to 120% (though numbers over 100% aren't displayed).

From 0-95, without a talisman, exceptional chance is normal success chance -60%.
From 100-120, exceptional chance is normal chance - 45% (so 120-45=75%).
(between 95 & 100, exceptional chance goes up 2.5 times more than normal, 0.5% per 0.1 skill instead of 0.2%), resulting in the change between the pre-95 and post-GM numbers).

All these numbers have been charted for smiths and tailors here on Stratics.

Cloth ninja hoods don't hit 100% to craft until 105.0, which means that you can gain up to your skill cap on them with no PS, or having used only a 105 or 110 PS. If you've used a 115 PS, you cna gain in them to 112.5, and a 120 PS will let you use them up to 115.0. However, above 80% chance to make (95 skill), gains will be really slow - it's just a LOT cheaper to use cloth than leather for training.

D

Dragonchilde

Cost really isn't the issue; I can farm leather quite easily while training my ninja in Fel. I made over 8k last night in just a couple hours. ;) I don't mind it, its just a bit easier to train with cloth, since it's lighter than leather. I want fast gains... i don't mind the resource use, beyond personal preference.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got to 120 with oil cloths and dark elven shirts. It seemed like a macro was a big deal with tailoring. If I did not use a macro, I did not gain but if I used a macro I gained like mad. Weird! (and yes I sat in front of the screen the entire time ugh)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Then go with Studded tunics, if you have BODs to fill, or Studded Do, if you are just going to recycle. Technically, even the Do leaves the "optimum gain range" (80% chance of success) at 110 skill, and is the second-hardest thing to make as a tailor (even the hardest, bone armor, hits 80% success at 111.0).