• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Something wrong with points

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the feeling that there still is something wrong until I get the following order:

apple crab 10
fred lobster 20
bonefish 20
cutthroat trout 20
darkfish 20
infernal tuna 10

the actual points scale is:
0.5 pt per shore
1 pt per crab
1 pt per deepwater
1.5 pt per dungeon

Here is the totals:
10 x 1 = 10
20 x 1 = 20
20 x 1 = 20
20 x 1.5 = 30
20 x 1.5 = 30
10 x 1.5 = 15
-------------
TOTAL OF 125 pts

then I'm go to take the reward and I got a bait of 100 uses.

So what's wrong here? :p
the baits are limited at 100 uses per reward or simply there still a bug into the point system?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, good to know, I fear that was another bug about the points :D

M

Muu Bin

Are those the actual points as listed by the OP? I thought that these were fixed a little while back.

I'll try to look for that old post now...

M

Muu Bin

Are those the actual points as listed by the OP? I thought that these were fixed a little while back.

Found the post... you are correct... crustaceans are same points as deepwater. Thanks!

MB

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Well, the original poster is using the entirely WRONG system based on fish bait uses, as opposed to what the game itself actually uses, which might be confusing.

The actual game software counts -
shallow water fish as 1 point
Deep water fish and crustaceans (since they were fixed) as 2 points
Dungeon fish as 3 points

If the reward is bait, the number of uses for the bait is (quest point value)/2
With any decimals rounded down, and capped at 100 points.

Using the bait values (0.5/1/1.5) for each quest line as the "fish point system" instead of the actual (1/2/3) system not only adds in a lot of complicated math (as some people have trouble with decimals), but because of the rounding and cap issues, is like using 22/7 as "pi" on a scientific calculator instead hitting the key that puts in an 8 or more significant digit value in for it automatically.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the original poster is using the entirely WRONG system based on fish bait uses, as opposed to what the game itself actually uses, which might be confusing.

The actual game software counts -
shallow water fish as 1 point
Deep water fish and crustaceans (since they were fixed) as 2 points
Dungeon fish as 3 points

If the reward is bait, the number of uses for the bait is (quest point value)/2
With any decimals rounded down, and capped at 100 points.

Using the bait values (0.5/1/1.5) for each quest line as the "fish point system" instead of the actual (1/2/3) system not only adds in a lot of complicated math (as some people have trouble with decimals), but because of the rounding and cap issues, is like using 22/7 as "pi" on a scientific calculator instead hitting the key that puts in an 8 or more significant digit value in for it automatically.
is not hard as you say.... you just muply per 2 the base value, but the result is the same... in fact I have always the right value of bait uses just this order give 100 instead of 125.

and seriously with your formula you get a 250 pt order divided by 2 = 125...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You would not believe the number of people I've encountered who can't multiply by decimals consistantly (even something that should be as logical as multiplying a single digit decimal by 10)- some of whom were in my "Math for elementary school teachers" class in college.

They could, however, divide by two slightly more reliably (dividing by bigger numbers, on the other hand...).

It's believed that it's a condition related to dyslexia, and isn't as uncommon as you'd think. I once witnessed an argument between a family member and an in-law (now ex), where the in-law insisted that a 2-lb. jar of miracle whip for $5 was a better deal than 2 1-lb. jars for $3.

The point I was making is that 1/2/3 (then divided by 2 for bait count, round down, and capped at 100) is what is coded, and should be the method used to describe the system. The "divided by 2" technically only applies to the bait count, not the other 3 reward categories.

Perhaps a better analogy is envisioning a store that sells king-size candy bars for $2 (limit 50 candy bars per purchase). The 0.5/1/1.5 method is analogous to going around and pricing everything else in the store in "candy bar values" instead of dollars, even though you pay in dollars, and non-candy purchases aren't subject to limits.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You would not believe the number of people I've encountered who can't multiply by decimals consistantly (even something that should be as logical as multiplying a single digit decimal by 10)- some of whom were in my "Math for elementary school teachers" class in college.

They could, however, divide by two slightly more reliably (dividing by bigger numbers, on the other hand...).

It's believed that it's a condition related to dyslexia, and isn't as uncommon as you'd think. I once witnessed an argument between a family member and an in-law (now ex), where the in-law insisted that a 2-lb. jar of miracle whip for $5 was a better deal than 2 1-lb. jars for $3.

The point I was making is that 1/2/3 (then divided by 2 for bait count, round down, and capped at 100) is what is coded, and should be the method used to describe the system. The "divided by 2" technically only applies to the bait count, not the other 3 reward categories.

Perhaps a better analogy is envisioning a store that sells king-size candy bars for $2 (limit 50 candy bars per purchase). The 0.5/1/1.5 method is analogous to going around and pricing everything else in the store in "candy bar values" instead of dollars, even though you pay in dollars, and non-candy purchases aren't subject to limits.
well this is a shame... stratics should have a math forum with a sticky post with the ABC :D

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And don't forget fractions... Every 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions :D

D

Destiny<3

Goodness Basara, I guess they wouldn't be able to be on Extreme Couponing! :mf_prop: