• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Something is blocking?

• Thread starter brundlefly
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

brundlefly

Hello All,
I have a question or two about house placement. I see you guys are putting up designs that are really amazing. Whenever I get bored I reinvent my home. I guess like every man I wish mine was "a little bigger";).
I have found a few spots I wish to relocate to but they all say "object or whatever is in the way " or "you may not build housing here" when clearly there is a house placed in the area already.
- Are these homes grandfathered?
-If I place a house , will the tool place the house then ask me too confirm?
(I havent gotten to that point yet)
-I see alot of houses with trees, rocks and such practically on their doorsteps, yet I couldnt place anything anywhere near things like that.
I found a spot that I thought would fit a 18x18 but I figured that was asking too much so I made it smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller only to find it wouldnt fit a 7x7 on it. (out of frustration I was willing to do this)
I went to all the spots I had scoped out and the same with all of em.
I cant seem to find the info on house placement on stratics and the UOplayguide is really outdated.
Can someone direct me too some info that is current? I have all this cool stuff and a million ideas but I just cant flip this space anymore :(
* Ive looked at pictures of homes posted and see that a few of them have trees and object "RIGHT NEXT TO THEM NOT EVEN A TILE AWAY so something is wrong.Oh and yes all the spots are completely flat.The tool shows no break in the foundation.Even when I check it with a smaller footprint its flat.*

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've found that homes nearby does not necessarily mean the spot I want is legal... have you tried checking the precise location on other shards for placed housing, or on test center?

B

brundlefly

I read the links youve posted. Thanks so much for that .I was aware of those but wasnt sure if it is current . I will assume that it is. However... I cant place anything anywhere. There isnt anything in the way I can see. I took some crates with me to measure the spaces and noticed that they all were at slightly different heights when placed next to each other but the tool shows no obvious breaking in the foundation ( as this would be the indicator for uneven terrain ) I had done this before I placed my current house and it had the same slightly jagged ground but it was no problem. I tried many spots this way and I cant place a little tiny house even when the crates are all level to each other.
Whats this about LEGALLY placing a house ? Am I to believe that if I find a spot and build on it , move all my stuff to it , it could be improperly placed and I'll lose my home. I have a big problem with that. Like... a RL legal problem with that.
Is there a restriction on building right now? I refuse to buy a plot for 100 rl bucks. At this point Im paid up for the next 3 mons. If I wasnt I would close my account right now out of frustration. Finding a REAL home was easier than this.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what shard are you playing? maybe someone familiar with your shard can suggest places where you could place a house? i know trying to find a plot on atlantic is rediculous. but other shards have open spots. also, when EA starts dropping all the "owned by OSI" houses, that will open up a lot of plots too. maybe you could start hunting for those houses and marking runes to the big ones and then just keep checking until they fall? just some ideas... don't quit!!!

T

Torrey

The way I understand it...
Older houses can become improperly placed due to rule changes. These improper houses can't be resized or changed to custom plot if they were pre-builts.

Rule: "if you demolish an improperly placed house (for example: to try and place a bigger plot), you will not be able to re-place the same house in that location."

Which means they were legally placed back then due to the older rules, but they can't be placed there today with the different rules in place.

If there is any doubt in your mind the ground isn't perfectly level find a different spot.

Is there a tower next to this plot your trying to place?
I ask because the top floor wings(sides) steal about 4-5 grids from the neighboring plots. This could be part of the plot your attempting to place?

I'll post screenshots of my new plot later, maybe I can get a few that show the objects your describing "appearing" next to the plot when really they aren't. Mine is a "tight fit" 15x18 next to a tower, crystal ground object, and uneven ground. It was a bear to get it placed at the max size allowed to fit.

T

Torrey

Hopefully these pics will help.

Large Red Square is ground slope
This restricted moving the house back farther.
Small squares are the 1 grid space from objects required.

Right side, shows 1 grid space from objects required.(all around house)
Front, area for entrance, not clear on this, as it didn't effect me.
-there are 2 rocks in my front yard so nobody can block my entrance anyway.
Left side shows Tower overhang space.

Tower overhang, can't hang over your house, so it limits you getting closer regardless if your building 1 story tall or 3 story.

So you can see 15x18 was the limit for this plot(boxed in).
Even then placing the plot at 15x18 didn't want to take, 14x18 kept accepting but I had to wrestle 15x18 to accept, then bang it did.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nice pics, Torrey, hope they help a bit

and you're right about the placing.. had a tower spot in Skara, and had previously has a 17x16 in that spot, but I had an idea that it might take larger... just kept trying (love that you can place it down, not commit, and get to walk around it to check it all out) placing and ripping it up over and over, til I got the 18x18 to sit down

course, the brigands still grouch about it, but .. oh well :lol:

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few things that can make it hard to place a house. Are you using the 2D client or KR? Also make sure your game window (the area with the gold border) is right up in the top left so that there is no black space around it, this will help you get a better idea of where your placed house will really go. If I have a character on your shard I'll be happy to grab a house placement tool and try placing in one of the spots you've found, then drop a box for you to target so you can place it yourself :)

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did you recently place a house and demolish it? I found out that when I placed a house, demolished it, placed another house later on and demolished it, it would tell me everywehre i tried to place after that to be invalid. I tried again 2 days later and it let me place.

B

brundlefly

OK OK Im sorry for my rant in previous posts. It seems human error is to blame. As soon as I find a human to blame it on (other than myself) they better watch out :).
Anyway, there is a little something with the house placing tool that I hope can help anyone trying to grab land.
The image of the house you've chosen will appear transparent. You may move it around and situate it to get and idea of what it will look like or where about you might place it BUT, this is not exactly where it will place it.
Notice that your curser isnt over your house image but to its left abit. I beleive that you must click the curser where your stairs will be not where the image is projected. It helps to stand about where the left corner of the plot is and clicking at your feet. PLEASE GO TO THE TEST SHARD TO GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT I AM SAYING.
Once on the TS go to the west side of the BRIT bank and walk thru the dark grey gate marked "house placing" to remove the timer on your char or you will get a message " you must wait 15 days blah blah blah" . I think I went to the carpenter shop and saw the Real Estate Agent to buy the house placing tool .(I dont know if you get one in your bank box I do recall )Then go searching for a spot to build on.
I not sure that these conditions will apply to everyone or anyone. With what Ive learned I wonder if I gave up on a few NICE spots. Ill just be happy with the 15x15 plot .

:).
Again THANK YOU for all the help. Im going to post questions about deco now.
My advice is the TS. The rest is just my personal experience.

B

brundlefly

I saw that the new client had "resizing " for housing included in it. Perhaps my new neighbor was working on an addition to his home. Then I came along :}. It may explain why I could'nt place the 7x7 plot earlier and why the lag was epic while using the tool. More so than it normally would.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK OK Im sorry for my rant in previous posts. It seems human error is to blame. As soon as I find a human to blame it on (other than myself) they better watch out :).
Anyway, there is a little something with the house placing tool that I hope can help anyone trying to grab land.
The image of the house you've chosen will appear transparent. You may move it around and situate it to get and idea of what it will look like or where about you might place it BUT, this is not exactly where it will place it.
Notice that your curser isnt over your house image but to its left abit. I beleive that you must click the curser where your stairs will be not where the image is projected. It helps to stand about where the left corner of the plot is and clicking at your feet. PLEASE GO TO THE TEST SHARD TO GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT I AM SAYING.
Once on the TS go to the west side of the BRIT bank and walk thru the dark grey gate marked "house placing" to remove the timer on your char or you will get a message " you must wait 15 days blah blah blah" . I think I went to the carpenter shop and saw the Real Estate Agent to buy the house placing tool .(I dont know if you get one in your bank box I do recall )Then go searching for a spot to build on.
I not sure that these conditions will apply to everyone or anyone. With what Ive learned I wonder if I gave up on a few NICE spots. Ill just be happy with the 15x15 plot .

:).
Again THANK YOU for all the help. Im going to post questions about deco now.
My advice is the TS. The rest is just my personal experience.
You need to move your gameplay window so that it is in the top left of your UO desktop window when you try to place a house. Otherwise it won't line up correctly and you have to guess where you are placing.

B

brundlefly

Sarsmi .. thats 2 questions you answered for me. Thanks again. Sorry if I misguided people with my silly story. I'll leave the answering to the pros .

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi .. thats 2 questions you answered for me. Thanks again. Sorry if I misguided people with my silly story. I'll leave the answering to the pros .
It's not silly at all! It has happened to countless people, as it is just one of many quirks of the game that is not apparent. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people out there who have to do contortions to place a house because they moved their gameplay window to be center (or elsewhere) before they ever messed with house placement. I've always been a top lefty so it was years before I even heard about this being a problem. So really I just avoided trouble by being lazy. :thumbsup: