• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Something I just thought about.....

T

TKSpeedy1

OK, so EA is distancing itself from the name "sims". We are not called "Sims" anymore. We are "Avatars". And there is talk of a new name for "simoleans". Fine. But......During Amnesty, we are going to be getting "simmies"? Hello? What is wrong with this picture?

G

*LOL* shhhhhh they might figure it out,,and not give them,,lol

G

I still use the term "sims"... I like it better... not really sure why the sudden change to "avatars", but oh well.

Also... what's with the new look of the desktop icon?
Not a big fan

AND... why is basically the entire game being called "EA-Land"?
Although I don't play in TC3, there ARE people who do, lol.

J

jammybob

Avatar is so generic, sounds to me like they are ashamed of their own game nowadays lol

I

imported_fajjaa

Maybe they should be called Avies now, isnt that a wonderful name....gags

S

Sunflowers

The hell with EA Land, it will always be forever TSO to me.

Avatars? Psshh the hell with that to.

It's Sims or simmies to me.

Forever. 8)

S

Sunflowers

Oh I forgot.

Simoleans will always be simoleans as well.

LOL.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

*LOL* shhhhhh they might figure it out,,and not give them,,lol

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! OK, if that happens, I will take full blame. Sorry, didn't think about that when I posted, but it does make you wonder.

J

JesseLeeIt'sME

they're getting their money from us so they really don't care what we think. Ya KNOW!

K

Kellyn

What do they have against "sims" anyway. I like sims, if this game had been called EA Land in the beginning I probably would have never considered trying it out much less subscribing and would have kept playing the Sims pc

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

I still use the term "sims"... I like it better... not really sure why the sudden change to "avatars", but oh well.

Also... what's with the new look of the desktop icon?
Not a big fan

AND... why is basically the entire game being called "EA-Land"?
Although I don't play in TC3, there ARE people who do, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the new icon either, but I guess it's the best they can come up with at the moment.

As for the entire game being called EALand when they also have TC3..Hmm..I never thought about it before, but you have a valid point. They are two different "Lands", aren't they? Might be a good question for the devs. I don't play TC3 either. I tried once, but didn't like it at all.

G

Exactly... all of these new changes with what things are being called may be cause for confusion with new players.

And with all of the other things that they're working on, why would changing the names of things that have been the same for many years, even be considered as a priority or whatever you wanna call it.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Avatar is so generic, sounds to me like they are ashamed of their own game nowadays lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was my first thought when I heard the name change, too. And I find it amusing because they are acting like Sims is a name specific to their Sims games. However, when I was trying to do a search one day on "simulated games" to see what came up, I noticed most sites call their characters "sims". So why the name change for EALand, I don't know and I'll never understand it. But since I'm a founder,I will always refer to them as sims.

H

hollythor

the best they can come up with at the moment? LOLOLOL They had four years to come up with a 4 yr anniv. gift, check that one out lately? HELLOOOO There are reasons why all this is changing. As word is, sims online nearly faded away, ea took over, they lost their rights however to the sim thing. So ealand can no longer be affiliated with anything to do with sims. i.e. sims to avatars, tso desktop icon, simoleans, EALand. Now, funny thing is, the nonline version of the sims/sims2 is STILL part of EA. So if that is still their game, why are they running away from the online version? There are secrets there I would like to know as well. But from what I just stated, that is what I heard so far. Who knows.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What do they have against "sims" anyway. I like sims, if this game had been called EA Land in the beginning I probably would have never considered trying it out much less subscribing and would have kept playing the Sims pc

[/ QUOTE ]

This decision was not the devs' to make. EA is what wants this game distanced from "The Sims" name that they hold the copyright to, so if they want it separated, it get separated, period. EA does consider "The Sims Online" a huge failure in comparison to what a blockbuster the original game was, and The Sims 2 has been, and The Sims 3 looks like it it will be, which is why *this* game is now called EA Land and is a totally different entity in so far as they are concerned, with the only stipulation being the timeline that our Dream Team has to get this game into profitable margins, or EA still can pull the plug, no matter the name. So if you're angry or resentful at somebody, don't be at the devs.....they are just the messengers of this particular bit of news. It's the 'brass' at EA that says what will be and won't be as far as what the game will be called and that we cannot call our characters 'sims' anymore or our currency 'simoleans'.

As far as a new name for the simmies....hmm....well, in awards in RL they have the Emmy's the Oscar's the CMA's and stuff like that. Maybe a non-corny rename of simmies could just be "Founder's Awards/Trophies" or "Foundation Awards" might be appropriate?

I

imported_Danny Dots

Sush! I want my simmie, lol!

i think the reason why they are giving them out is because it is apart of the games history and its important to know where we came from

I

imported_MattelMichele

hehe. never actually thought about that, but your right

G

so they'll give everyone that should get one their avitariee. A rose by any other name is still a rose, what difference does it make what they call it. If it were called manure from now on, I can't imagine anyone saying I don't want that pile of manure, keep it.

G

=]

Makes sense though

if they don't wanna be affiliated with TSO

and make something new

there just trying to be..

different...

=/ ..
even if there not very creative..
its the...

thought that counts

G

Everybody just calm down! EA is doing the best they can! The reason they are changing all of this is because, in early 2006 Maxis was wanting to shut down the entire game because they hadnt had an update in forever. If EA didn't take over we would still be playing The Sims PC. So EA is calling it EA-Land to keep from copying Maxis!

I

imported_queenme

IMHO...which counts for little i know...

EAgames which owns MAXIS, knows which side their bread is buttered on...

The Sims franchise of games is the number two selling video game (all genres &amp; platforms combined) of all time, second only to games with good ol Mario in them....

EAgames due to their complete lack of intelligent design and implementation of The Sims Online game, coupled with their choice to neglect the mess they made of it for 3 years, caused them to wish to *seperate* the sims online from the sims franchise as a whole...then when they do finally shut the doors on this even bigger mess they've made that they now refer to as EAland, then it won't be "the sims online" failing it will be this other generic game called EAland, therefore not affecting in anyway or "contaminating" the good Sims name or in anyway affecting the continued profitibility of all of the other sim games, specifically to cause no confusion with the upcoming newest version of sims- 3...they just dont want this game associated with The Sims anymore in any way or so it seems, period.

so theres my opinion
such as it is

T

TKSpeedy1

Simsrock,

Where do you see in this thread that anyone was upset? I posted my original post not because I was mad about it, but just because I thought it was ironic. It was not meant as criticism. And we weren't talking about the name change to EaLand either....not originally anyway since we all know the story by now.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

IMHO...which counts for little i know...

EAgames which owns MAXIS, knows which side their bread is buttered on...

The Sims franchise of games is the number two selling video game (all genres &amp; platforms combined) of all time, second only to games with good ol Mario in them....

EAgames due to their complete lack of intelligent design and implementation of The Sims Online game, coupled with their choice to neglect the mess they made of it for 3 years, caused them to wish to *seperate* the sims online from the sims franchise as a whole...then when they do finally shut the doors on this even bigger mess they've made that they now refer to as EAland, then it won't be "the sims online" failing it will be this other generic game called EAland, therefore not affecting in anyway or "contaminating" the good Sims name or in anyway affecting the continued profitibility of all of the other sim games, specifically to cause no confusion with the upcoming newest version of sims- 3...they just dont want this game associated with The Sims anymore in any way or so it seems, period.

so theres my opinion
such as it is

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, but did you read my original post? I wasn't commenting on the name of the game. We've already talked to death about the reason for the name change to EALand. I was commenting on the name "simmie".

I

imported_eggchick7

<blockquote><hr>

The hell with EA Land, it will always be forever TSO to me.

Avatars? Psshh the hell with that to.

It's Sims or simmies to me.

Forever. 8)

[/ QUOTE ] OOOh So after my own heart and sentiments ur one cool person for saying that..I worship u :p