• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Carpentry] Some questions on Black Staffs

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm creating some black staffs for my mace fighting sampire to use for its whirlwind special. In the process of planning out my weapons, I realized I had a few questions I need to ask. I know I cannot craft black staffs.

1) Are there any particular monsters that drop black staffs more than others? In particular, I'm looking for 0 or 1 mod but with various magical damage distributions.

2) Can you enhance a Black Staff that you just buy from a standard NPC using say ash (for the 10% SSI bonus)? If so, how often will you break the weapon with a GM carpenter?

Thanks! I pondered using other whirlwind weapons with UBWS but that eats up too much imbuing intensity even on an exceptional weapon. So I'm pretty sure I can use a standard black staff with 450 intensity to get what I want, but I'd really like to handpick the magical damage and then enhance post imbue for the SSI bonus. I really don't want to break too many because I have no choice but to use relic frags for the initial SSI (becuase I can't craft with a runic tool) and roughly 2 bottles of POF to 255/255 it.

-OBSIDIAN-

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I used to get them in despise! cant remember exactly what i was fighting i think form most things there!
for the least mods you want to fight the lowest creatures maybe just ogres or maybe even lizardmen for the least mods
not sure about the enhancing I have carpentry stoned atm or I would look for you! but I see no reason why they could not be enhanced maybe someone will chim in that knows for sure!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I tried test center. I made a very nice imbued black staff, but it says I cannot enhance it with ash using a carpentry tool. Not sure why. Is there a way to do this?

-OBSIDIAN-

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
wait is black staff considered metal weapon? I think I remember trying this at one time and it seems there was something different about it !

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nope, I can't enhance it with metal either. I tried valorite on test center.

Now this is with a black staff purchased from an NPC. Not sure if I looted one if it would be any different.

-OBSIDIAN-

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget the craft subsets of Glassblowing and Masonry - thye both have their own Repair Deeds and its the only way to repair - and perhaps enhance - some of the other exotic weapons...

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can enhance items that are not craftable. So the black staff, pitch fork, bear masks, tribal masks, etc cannot be enhanced.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can enhance items that are not craftable. So the black staff, pitch fork, bear masks, tribal masks, etc cannot be enhanced.
I think you are right. I cannot find a way to enhance my black staff. Bummer too... I would have liked the SSI bonus from Ash.

-OBSIDIAN-

B

bosskram

If you are looking for a weapon with whirlwind attach. You could craft the radiat scimitar in any of the varieties with any matierial you want with runic hammers and then just imbue use best weapon skill on it. They are fast and one handed so you could use a sheild if you want or it would allow you to chug pots....Just a thought:thumbup:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you are looking for a weapon with whirlwind attach. You could craft the radiat scimitar in any of the varieties with any matierial you want with runic hammers and then just imbue use best weapon skill on it. They are fast and one handed so you could use a sheild if you want or it would allow you to chug pots....Just a thought:thumbup:
That was my initial plan, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked having to devote 140 intensity points and one mod to UBWS. With SSI and DI a requirement, that only leaves me with two mods and roughly 180 intensity points left. I want three mods for my whirlwind weapons (HSL/HLL/HLA or HSL/HLL/Slayer) for my future spawning wammy. Not to mention, every UBWS weapon requires me to use SA special ingredients (for the UBWS) or relics (SSI) to craft, assuming I use a dc runic hammer to craft one or the other. It's an option, but I'm exploring the black staffs for now. A 120 Mace scroll is so much cheaper than 120 Swords scroll... and I already have a mace scroll handy.

-OBSIDIAN-

R

RichDC

I believe if memory serves that black staffs come facing 2 direction, i believe one direction can be served [although never tested] and that will probs be the rarer one you cant buy of npcs lol

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I believe if memory serves that black staffs come facing 2 direction, i believe one direction can be served [although never tested] and that will probs be the rarer one you cant buy of npcs lol
Rich, what do you mean by "served"? Thanks!

-OBSIDIAN-