• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some questions about where to gear up....

Istaria

Visitor
Hi guys,

I promise faithfully that I have googled every phrase I can think of, but I might not be going basic enough...

My account is new, and I've started from scratch a couple of weeks ago. My two playable chars are a Mystic necro spellweaver, and a baby sampire. Both have approx GM level skills (sampire is closer to 90 in most than 100). Gear is extremely basic.

When I last played, Shame was the place to be for loot. This appears to have changed, although I still gain well there so I've stuck with it.

I really want to gear up a bit, preferably by using the random loot system, and maybe with some of the more accessible artefacts - I don't have a crafter. I play almost exclusively solo (population is not massive and I play weird hours) so group stuff is largely out for me at the moment unfortunately.

Really not sure where to start tbh. I'd like to get better items so that I can upgrade equipment, but without better equipment, I am struggling to step up from Shame :)

Would I be better to pay a crafter for some mid-tier gear to get me up a step? If so, which character would you recommend as a daily farmer? I enjoy playing both.

I'll take any advice to get me out of Shame :)

Aes.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What shard & usually some here can help out.

Your in the right place:).

And welcome back, we missed ya ;).

Istaria

Visitor
Hi Acid,

I am on Atlantic, but I really wouldn't want anyone to feel the need to give me stuff. I have about 15m left from the sale of a store soul stone token, so would be pleased to pay a crafter. I kind of just am not sure what to ask for hehe.

I'd be very happy on the other hand to join a group to see some of the harder stuff :)

I am thinking I should concentrate on one of the characters and get up and running first. At the moment my mage can do better because less gear dependant, and I can finally cast Rising Colossus. I feel the Sampire might have more solo potential in the future, but he's terribly underpowered because of horrible gear (a basic LRC suit and an elemental-slayer double axe).

Would you have a recommendation for which would be best to invest in at the start? I should also mention I have 2 soulstones, so I am very open to which you feel is the most versatile also.

Thank you again!

Aes

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The loot that just used to be in Shame is everywhere now.

Any boss type can potentially have great loot. Currently, if you can join in on a Khal Ankur hunt in Trammel Khaldun, the loot on the corpse is pretty top-end (plus there are some antique/prized items than can drop into your pack). However, you'll need a caddelite infused spellbook or weapon to hold (but you should be able to find crafted ones available - maybe even given to you. They aren't required to match your casting skill. And, there's tons of ingredients for Scrappers in the puzzle and hidden chests, minus the special scrolls that have to be crafted from caddelite infused bark fragments).

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of us on Atl have more stuff then we will ever need. I keep several chests full of gear to drop in Haven once or twice a week to help new players, so don’t sweat getting alil help to get up & running. If u absolutely want to go it on ur own folks also understand & respect that.

I’m at work now but home later. If I’m online, I’m in Help Chat. Just ask & I’d be glad to look at ur gear, make some improvements where possible & offer advice.

Istaria

Visitor
Advice would be amazing....thanks Acid, I'll look you up!

Basara, I'll check out that encounter....had not heard of it tbh. Maybe I can get in a party for it, or at the worst hang around the edges and take the unwanted scraps :p

Thank you both!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently, if you can join in on a Khal Ankur hunt in Trammel Khaldun, the loot on the corpse is pretty top-end (plus there are some antique/prized items than can drop into your pack).
100% spot on. I've gotten a dozen pieces from here that went into that chest for newer players.

One thing Devs have almost always done is make loot from new events/quests/ or a boss appealing. They want players to experience new content & this is one way to insure their hard work creating these challenges does not go unnoticed. Usually after a period of time the loots "mysteriously" drop off in quality. The Khaldun event ends Dec. 1st so I doubt the mysterious drop will occur.

Basara, I'll check out that encounter....had not heard of it tbh. Maybe I can get in a party for it, or at the worst hang around the edges and take the unwanted scraps [bcolor=rgb(204, 205, 205)]:p[/bcolor]
I've seen a few folks down there in new player gear waiting for the boss corpse to go public. Also, most everyone down there in Tram is all on the same team. No real need for a party (unless a bard joins) cause we all work together. We've all been dying, ressing, and healing as a team :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
100% spot on. I've gotten a dozen pieces from here that went into that chest for newer players.

One thing Devs have almost always done is make loot from new events/quests/ or a boss appealing. They want players to experience new content & this is one way to insure their hard work creating these challenges does not go unnoticed. Usually after a period of time the loots "mysteriously" drop off in quality. The Khaldun event ends Dec. 1st so I doubt the mysterious drop will occur.

I've seen a few folks down there in new player gear waiting for the boss corpse to go public. Also, most everyone down there in Tram is all on the same team. No real need for a party (unless a bard joins) cause we all work together. We've all been dying, ressing, and healing as a team :)
While the Event will end I believe the champ spawn will remain... he'll still drop the costumes maybe but yeah it's a great place to hunt right now.