• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Some nice Imbued +5 Saltpeter Mining Gloves...

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Imbued the following for my Saltpeter Miner (1960/2660 Luck):

Ringmail Blacksmith Gloves of Mining
[Imbued]
Weight: 2 stones
Mining +5
Luck 140
LRC 20
19/4/3/5/5
Mage Armor
Dur 166/166

Cost me some expensive major ingreds 10-Faery wings/abmys cloth/boura skins and a very expensive charge from my Forged Artifact Tool to ensure the Gold Luck enhancement did not fail. Worth it, though, I will make back the price of the ingredients in an hour's saltpeter mining, and the lrc/mage armor mods allow me to use my Magery bothe defensively and offensively.

L

LoL/Sonoma

Very nice. I have been working to get something similar, but since i dont have acccess to the queen's forge (my crafter has no combat skills to get loyalty) I have been considering asking someone else to imbue for me.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Imbued the following for my Saltpeter Miner (1960/2660 Luck):

Ringmail Blacksmith Gloves of Mining
[Imbued]
Weight: 2 stones
Mining +5
Luck 140
LRC 20
19/4/3/5/5
Mage Armor
Dur 166/166

Cost me some expensive major ingreds 10-Faery wings/abmys cloth/boura skins and a very expensive charge from my Forged Artifact Tool to ensure the Gold Luck enhancement did not fail. Worth it, though, I will make back the price of the ingredients in an hour's saltpeter mining, and the lrc/mage armor mods allow me to use my Magery bothe defensively and offensively.

Does having +5 mining gloves help a miner already having 100.0 GM mining skills ? That is, does the game "see" a status of 105.0 mining skill (when there is no such thing as a 105 mining powerscroll to raise the CAP....) and give a bonus when mining with it ?

If no, ain't it cheaper just use any other type of gloves with 140 luck on them ??

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Does having +5 mining gloves help a miner already having 100.0 GM mining skills ? That is, does the game "see" a status of 105.0 mining skill (when there is no such thing as a 105 mining powerscroll to raise the CAP....) and give a bonus when mining with it ?

If no, ain't it cheaper just use any other type of gloves with 140 luck on them ??
yes mining can reach 105(not visible) with gloves this will increase smelting etc you do not need a scroll mining is the only skill I know of that has this effect at least this is what I have seen I smelt the higher end ors with better success with +5 on

N

Ncdiablo

So to all poorer miners what you can do is this. Just keep the +5 mining gloves in your back pack. Get a pair of leather gloves and have them imbued with luck ( leather gloves being meddable) and use those for mining as the gloves do don't anything for mining, they simply help you with smelting. When smelting gold or and up. Switch out the gloves for the smelting while you are out there with your Fire beetle. Switch back your luck gloves while you are mining and looking for saltpeter.

Sure you can do what this guy did if you have the access to the materials or are made of money but if not just carry a 2nd pair of gloves as 2 stone won't overload you too much ;).

Kudos to the poster that got that done. This post wasn't slamming what the original poster did. I am simply giving a 2 stone cost for a much lower level cost to get similar results.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I just keep my combat miner's Stormgrip gloves on, sine I need my resists - I mine with garg picks with the Prospector's tool almost exclusively (as the only time I use normal tools is when mining DC, or on the niter deposit after it pops up). Plus, many of the areas I mine have spawn (Shame 2nd level, Ilshenar Valor area).

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My miner wears an LRC/Regen suit with these:

Ringmail Blacksmith Gloves of Mining (enhanced with Valorite)
Mining +5
HPR 2
SR 1
MR 2
LMC 7%
LRC 20%
7/3/4/8/6

I've been thinking of tweaking them a little though, he doesn't cast that many spells, so doesn't need that much mana, so was thinking of reducing LMC and bumping SR to 2.

He kills ore elementals with Swords of Prosperity. (no combat skills)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

yes mining can reach 105(not visible) with gloves this will increase smelting etc you do not need a scroll mining is the only skill I know of that has this effect at least this is what I have seen I smelt the higher end ors with better success with +5 on

I have difficulties believing this since the CAP stays at 100.0 mining.

The way the game is coded, if the CAP is not raised, and there is no 105 powerscroll for mining that I know of, there can be NO BENEFIT having 105 mining.

Simply, because the game cannot see it since the CAP stays at 100.0.

Or is it a BUG, a mulfunctioning of code ??

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
do this go out without any gloves on and 100 mining and smelt 100 bronze ore and record how much you end up with then go out with +5 gloves on and 100 mining and smelt 100 bronze ore and compare the two !

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have difficulties believing this since the CAP stays at 100.0 mining.

The way the game is coded, if the CAP is not raised, and there is no 105 powerscroll for mining that I know of, there can be NO BENEFIT having 105 mining.

Simply, because the game cannot see it since the CAP stays at 100.0.

Or is it a BUG, a mulfunctioning of code ??
Neither... It's intentional.

The Blacksmith BOD Rewards were designed early on to not obey skill cap rules, deliberately. In fact, the basic design for the system predates the powerscroll system for all other skills, though they were implemented at roughly the same time.

This is why Mining Gloves allow total skill up to 105, and Ancient Smith Hammers can raise blacksmith up to 180.

In fact, the enhancement rules were modified about 6 or 7 years ago with this property for ASH in mind, giving a +1% to enhance success per 10 skill points over 100.

Mining gloves were meant to allow recycling items from smithing to get to a 2/3 ingot return, as it takes 101.1 skill to get to that level (0.66% times mining skill), with the side benefit of allowing a better chance of smelting Bronze-Valorite ore.

Note that the Mining & Blacksmith tools from New Haven quests with similar bonuses to the Mining Gloves & ASH DO obey the standard skill cap rules.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Neither... It's intentional.

The Blacksmith BOD Rewards were designed early on to not obey skill cap rules, deliberately. In fact, the basic design for the system predates the powerscroll system for all other skills, though they were implemented at roughly the same time.

This is why Mining Gloves allow total skill up to 105, and Ancient Smith Hammers can raise blacksmith up to 180.

In fact, the enhancement rules were modified about 6 or 7 years ago with this property for ASH in mind, giving a +1% to enhance success per 10 skill points over 100.

Mining gloves were meant to allow recycling items from smithing to get to a 2/3 ingot return, as it takes 101.1 skill to get to that level (0.66% times mining skill), with the side benefit of allowing a better chance of smelting Bronze-Valorite ore.

Note that the Mining & Blacksmith tools from New Haven quests with similar bonuses to the Mining Gloves & ASH DO obey the standard skill cap rules.

Thank you for the detailed explaination.

Ain't it confusing though for players ?

I think it would be better if the Developers streamlined all mining items to make them work all following the same pattern to avoid confusion to players.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have GM miner for Fel only (2x resource) and his +5 glvs imbued w/resists and HPI. My Tamer-Miner is exclusively used for Saltpeter mining (thus needs max Luck on glvs and Mage-friendly mods) and does so within 3 screen radius of Warden of Abyss house. I usually use a Hiryu or Dread Mare as bodyguard, dropping all ore on ground - unless it is Valorite:) If Valorite, above WoA house is a forge by slasher and there is one in Cavern, and I also have one in the WoA house.

For those w/o access to WoA house, you can do mad dash to Cavern area on firebug then cast a earth elie to kill the occasional ratman. Very little spawn to worry about, if you stay on the fringes of Cavern, plus as i already mentioned, there are two public forges nearby. Before Housing contest, I used to log out my miner in the Sutek area - completely safe.

I "believe" the Luck only influences chance of finding Gigantic deposits, but has no bearing once the deposit spawns. So you want Luck gloves on when searching but can switch to whatever once you are working the deposit. I made the super-duper gloves only because I wanted to maximize Luck and because I had the Imbuing ingredienets on hand, and the enhancing tool.

N

Ncdiablo

aoLOLita,

As I said I wasn't slamming you doing what you did. You had the resources and money to do so. If I did I probably woud do the same :)

I was just pointing out to others the method I use since I don't have the same yet.

Down the road I might do the same.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No problem, El Diablo - I didn't take your remark as a slam but rather as an expensive alternative to my gloves - just like you intended :)

aoLOLita,

As I said I wasn't slamming you doing what you did. You had the resources and money to do so. If I did I probably woud do the same :)

I was just pointing out to others the method I use since I don't have the same yet.

Down the road I might do the same.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for the detailed explaination.

Ain't it confusing though for players ?

I think it would be better if the Developers streamlined all mining items to make them work all following the same pattern to avoid confusion to players.
Yeah, it would make sense to have everything work the same way - but that's what happens when you have as many changes of staff as UO has had in the past.

At least having the gloves work that way lessens the reasons to have mining powerscrolls - crafter and resource gatherer templates are cramped enough.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can mining gloves be enhanced? :)
Yeah I have been doing that for ages but recently I went through all of my BODs that could give +5 mining gloves and imbued a bunch of gloves (I think about 7 pairs) and then enhanced them and destroyed all of them ....oh well I got a lot of POF in the process.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enhance (usually with valorite) before I imbue. I don't like wasting relic frags or PoF.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enhance (usually with valorite) before I imbue. I don't like wasting relic frags or PoF.
Yeah I have done that with a couple pair on Bods I got since then. Just so I have a pice pair to wear.

I also had several pair enhanced that could not be imbued which I smelted.