• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some more beginner questions (sorry)...

G

So, thanks to all your tips my archer training is going quite well (skillwise). But some new questions came up:

1) quivers: since I am wearing my virtue armor suit (to save insurance money) I don´t have my quiver (of Infinity) equipped. I could not really figure out if the Lower Ammo Cost 20%, the DCI and the other mods work this way? DOes it have to be equipped to get the advantages?

2) What does the damage modifier (10% on the quiver of infinty) mean?
10% more damage when the arrow or bolt are coming out of this quiver?

3) I sometimes have a small problem with honoring my opponent:
My macros look like this:

Macro 1:
select nearest mobile (i use this to cycle through targets - did not work well with hostile)

Macro 2:
Invoke virtue honor
wait for target
current target
attack last

Ok, works well most of the time but sometimes the honor fails with no real reason (I get some message like - failed to find path - even when standing next to the monster). But the attack still goes off and I have to fight the monster without perfection. I was also in danger of embracing honor a couple of times.

Anyone has a better working macro solution?

4) The biggest problem I have is that I sometimes attack things on sight (I guess this is the self defense mechanism when monsters aggro you) before I had the chance to get close enough to honor them. I tried to toggle out of war mode after each fight but this did not help. Happens in peace mode as well. But sometimes critters attack me and I dont seem to react at all (automatically I mean).
The only workaround I found is to unequip my bow, play the honor/attack macro and equip the bow again (could maybe build this into the macro somehow). Is there really no better way?

5) Bushido skill: I am starting to wonder why this skill is being considered so useful for archers (I am sure it is but I guess I did not figure out how to use it properly).
The only usefull things I found out so far:
confidence to restore a couple of HP fast
momentum strike when I am next to 2 opponents

about perfection: at least being at 95 archery and 90 Bush I cant see a difference in damage from building up perfection (even if I hit 10 times in a row). But maybe this is something I will only see when I get to 120 and have a very hard hitting bow (I am using a 35 ssi repeater with lots of HCI to get maximum gains).

about lightning strike: I dont get it, I know it raises your HCI and you have the chance to get a critical strike. Critical strike I guess happens only when the sound effect and the little thunder graphic appear. Strangly those hits don´t do any more damage than any other hit. Sometimes I land a hit for 40 damage when using LS but the sound and graphic don´t come and next hit is for 17 points with the graphic and the sound appearing. It seems very random to me.

possible bug???: my normal hits against an elder gazer do about 10 to 16 points of damage, when using EoO I do about 20 to 26 points of damage BUT when I use EoO AND LS I do about 17 to 22 points of damage even with most crirical hits. COuld it be that the effects of EoO don´t stack with the damage output by LS (or vice versa)?

6) if I ever find out how useful perfection can be and decide to go to doom, should I try to honor the dark father or doesn´t it make sense since I think you can´t honor an opponent that has been honored by other people before?

7) very last one: I wanted to try and craft double slayer bows. The only possibility I could think of was to craft a slayer bow with a runic kit (and be lucky to get a second slayer property).
Some people say you can get a slayer property by just using heartwood to craft/enhance? (this way you could even get tripple slayers if you follow what I wrote before) Can someone verify this? Because I thought heartwood gives a random property but only one of the following:
SC -1
SSI 10%
DI 10%
HCI 5%
Luck 40
HLL 10%
Lower Req 20
Since all of these properties can be gotten with other wood (unless you go for the SC-1) is there any point in crafting/enhancing bows with heartwood at all?

I know people who told me they collect juka bows, modify them and when they get a decent one enhance it with heartwood to get a double slayer. If I am right this cannot be possible. Also there should be no way to make a double slayer out of a juka bow, right? Unless thy can become double slayers through modifying - have never seen this happen though.

Sorry, sorry, sorry,
this has gotten way longer than intended.

I would be very grateful if someone would clarify some of these things for me,

thanks,
Largo of Europa

C

Connor_Graham

1) quivers: since I am wearing my virtue armor suit (to save insurance money) I don´t have my quiver (of Infinity) equipped. I could not really figure out if the Lower Ammo Cost 20%, the DCI and the other mods work this way? DOes it have to be equipped to get the advantages?

Yes, all quivers have to be equipped for their properties to work. The only property that isn't affected by the quiver being in your pack is the Weight Reduction. Since we're on this topic, I'd suggest you pick up a Quiver of the Elements and keep your arrows/bolts stocked in it as it's the only quiver that has a 50% weight reduction, whereas the rest all have 30%.

If I'm not mistaken, this modifies the base damage of your weapon

3) I sometimes have a small problem with honoring my opponent:
My macros look like this:

Macro 1:
select nearest mobile (i use this to cycle through targets - did not work well with hostile)

Macro 2:
Invoke virtue honor
wait for target
current target
attack last

Ok, works well most of the time but sometimes the honor fails with no real reason (I get some message like - failed to find path - even when standing next to the monster). But the attack still goes off and I have to fight the monster without perfection. I was also in danger of embracing honor a couple of times.

Anyone has a better working macro solution?

"Failed to find path" means either the creature is in flight, like a dragon or other flying creature, or with corpsers, they simply can't be honored due to their particular coding.

4) The biggest problem I have is that I sometimes attack things on sight (I guess this is the self defense mechanism when monsters aggro you) before I had the chance to get close enough to honor them. I tried to toggle out of war mode after each fight but this did not help. Happens in peace mode as well. But sometimes critters attack me and I dont seem to react at all (automatically I mean).
The only workaround I found is to unequip my bow, play the honor/attack macro and equip the bow again (could maybe build this into the macro somehow). Is there really no better way?

Best thing to do as an archer when honoring an opponent is to have macros set up to arm and disarm, and always be disarmed while attempting to honor. This will keep you from auto targeting and firing a shot. It only takes a second to rearm, and it makes a big difference in the long run, espeically once you get up to fighting the the really tough stuff and you need that extra damage for leeches and faster kills. This is very easily done in UO Assist. If you don't have UO Assist and are using the 2D client, I'd suggest getting it. If you're using KR, there should be a macro you can set up for this.

5) Bushido skill: I am starting to wonder why this skill is being considered so useful for archers (I am sure it is but I guess I did not figure out how to use it properly).
The only usefull things I found out so far:
confidence to restore a couple of HP fast
momentum strike when I am next to 2 opponents (I wasn't aware this worked for archers, are you sure it is?)

Lightning Strike is the big one. The 50% HCI, 20% Critical Hit Chance and 100 Luck per level of Perfection alone make the points in Bushido worth having. One thing to remember about Confidence is that it heals through poison, mortal wounds, and any other damage when you time it's use through the "tics" of damage. It also has no timer, so as long as you have mana, you can get that instant heal.

"about perfection: at least being at 95 archery and 90 Bush I cant see a difference in damage from building up perfection (even if I hit 10 times in a row). But maybe this is something I will only see when I get to 120 and have a very hard hitting bow (I am using a 35 ssi repeater with lots of HCI to get maximum gains). "

The reason you're not seeing the difference is the bow you're using. You're only getting a couple of extra points of damage at most. If you try a heavy crossbow you'll definitely see the difference.

"about lightning strike: I dont get it, I know it raises your HCI and you have the chance to get a critical strike. Critical strike I guess happens only when the sound effect and the little thunder graphic appear. Strangly those hits don´t do any more damage than any other hit. Sometimes I land a hit for 40 damage when using LS but the sound and graphic don´t come and next hit is for 17 points with the graphic and the sound appearing. It seems very random to me. "

That graphic is simply the graphic for LS and has nothing to do with the crits themselves.

"possible bug???: my normal hits against an elder gazer do about 10 to 16 points of damage, when using EoO I do about 20 to 26 points of damage BUT when I use EoO AND LS I do about 17 to 22 points of damage even with most crirical hits. COuld it be that the effects of EoO don´t stack with the damage output by LS (or vice versa)? "

LS is included in the 300% damage increase cap. It's very likely that you're hitting it by achieving Perfection since you're using such a fast firing, low damage weapon. If you were using a slower weapon, you wouldn't achieve Perfection as often, and would see a much larger difference. Since you're in training though, keep using what you're currently using. The more shots fired the faster you'll gain skill.

"6) if I ever find out how useful perfection can be and decide to go to doom, should I try to honor the dark father or doesn´t it make sense since I think you can´t honor an opponent that has been honored by other people before? "

If you're using a Demon slayer bow, it won't do you any good other than to replenish your HP's, Stam & Mana once it's dead. It's much better to let the meleers get the Honor in as it's a huge help to them and keeps them alive longer, which means the DF dies faster.

7) very last one: I wanted to try and craft double slayer bows. The only possibility I could think of was to craft a slayer bow with a runic kit (and be lucky to get a second slayer property).
Some people say you can get a slayer property by just using heartwood to craft/enhance? (this way you could even get tripple slayers if you follow what I wrote before) Can someone verify this? Because I thought heartwood gives a random property but only one of the following:
SC -1
SSI 10%
DI 10%
HCI 5%
Luck 40
HLL 10%
Lower Req 20
Since all of these properties can be gotten with other wood (unless you go for the SC-1) is there any point in crafting/enhancing bows with heartwood at all?

You can use a runic kit to craft a slayer bow and get a double slayer, but that is the only way to get it. As far as I know, unless something has changed, Heartwood itself doesn't have slayer as a property it adds.

"I know people who told me they collect juka bows, modify them and when they get a decent one enhance it with heartwood to get a double slayer. If I am right this cannot be possible. Also there should be no way to make a double slayer out of a juka bow, right? Unless thy can become double slayers through modifying - have never seen this happen though. "

The old Juka bows used to have the possibility of becoming a double slayer, but that's the only way I know of for one to have that.

Oh, and as far as your thread title:

"Some more beginner questions (sorry)... "

Never apologize for asking questions. That's what we're here for. As the old saying goes...."The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked".

Anything that you're unlear on, or simply don't know or have a question about, feel free to ask away.

G

WOW! Big thanks!!! Helped big time...

...but since you were so kind to ask for it (*evil grin*):

""If I'm not mistaken, this modifies the base damage of your weapon""

hmmm, did not understand tbh. it is clear with other quivers that tell you how they modify your damage output (f.e. 50% cold) and they override your weapon afaik (only when equipped prolly). But this only says "damage modifier 10%" and nothing about the type of damage, strange. Maybe this is a small mistake and should actually mean "Damage Increase 10% " (same as elven quiver) ?

""Failed to find path" means either the creature is in flight, like a dragon or other flying creature, or with corpsers, they simply can't be honored due to their particular coding.""

Well, I am starting to wonder if elder gazers are flying or at least floating creatures cause it happens very often. I still think something is wrong with my macro....

""Best thing to do as an archer when honoring an opponent is to have macros set up to arm and disarm, and always be disarmed while attempting to honor. This will keep you from auto targeting and firing a shot. It only takes a second to rearm, and it makes a big difference in the long run, espeically once you get up to fighting the the really tough stuff and you need that extra damage for leeches and faster kills. This is very easily done in UO Assist. If you don't have UO Assist and are using the 2D client, I'd suggest getting it. If you're using KR, there should be a macro you can set up for this.""

So I was right about this one. I know there is an arm and also a disarm function in the options menu of the 2D client and I will try to build this into my honor attack macro. I have UOA but dont really know how to setup the macro I described in my OP with UOA.

thanks about your comment bout confidence and healing through poison and mortal wounds. Seems it can be a real life saver!

""that graphic is simply the graphic for LS and has nothing to do with the crits themselves.""

hmmm, strange, cause I don´t always get this graphic and sound when using ligthning strike. Maybe because I am fighting elder gazers and when they drain my mana the LS is not coming through... Have to watch this...

Thanks again, you were really helpful!

Largo of Europa

C

Connor_Graham

But this only says "damage modifier 10%" and nothing about the type of damage, strange. Maybe this is a small mistake and should actually mean "Damage Increase 10% " (same as elven quiver) ?

Base damage and damage increase are separate things. Base damage is what your weapon states, plus any bonuses from Anatomy and Tactics. This is what is modified. Damage increase builds upon the base damage after it's been figured.

"I have UOA but dont really know how to setup the macro I described in my OP with UOA."

Under the "Keys" tab there are Arm and Disarm choices at the very top of the list, along with Arm Alt, Arm Alt 2, etc. You can set your weapon and any alternates under the Arm tab.

"Maybe because I am fighting elder gazers and when they drain my mana the LS is not coming through... Have to watch this..."

Correct. If you're out of mana, you're out of luck. The LS won't work.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what i was told is the 10% isnt a damage increase like on weapons.
its 10% added to damage after its calculated with resists..

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I thought I read that the DI from quivers was broken ?
I never really counted the quiver for anything except the 50% weight reduction on the elements quiver would be nice to know how it applies though whatever it is its small increase

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

what i was told is the 10% isnt a damage increase like on weapons.
its 10% added to damage after its calculated with resists..

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds more like the Quiver of Rage which adds 10% direct damage.

E

EB_Arcbolt

Hi Conner,

Is that 10% go towards the 100DI cap?
ty

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Hi Conner,

Is that 10% go towards the 100DI cap?
ty

[/ QUOTE ]