• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Some advice on an event "item" I found...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zodia

So about 2.5 years ago, at the begining of the Inu the Crone event, when EMs/GMs were adding things to the game for the event (like the bloody corpse at Brit Bank, the Ricardo Wanted Posters, etc.) there was one particularly large item that was added somewhere and the EM/GM forgot to lock it down. I was one of the first to see it I think, and while checking it out, I accidently aquired the item, and then I went to another shard to see if it was like that there too... it was, and I aquired it there too. The event item was quickly replaced by the EM/GM and properly locked down on all shards, and it is there to this day on US shards.

But years later, I still have these two very unique items. I am just wondering about a situation like this... are these "items" ok to have?

Z

Zodia

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so mysterious... I was just wondering if items that were meant to be locked down but weren't, and then were taken by a player were common or not ... or whether there were other examples.
But I used the term "items" because it is actually isn't an item in the traditional sense, but is actually unique in that it is actually more of a mount. For this event a couple years ago, a character was placed in Inu the Knrone's house in Tokuno -- Kurai Kabuto, her invulnerable Rune Beetle. He said various clues for the event, but not at first.
Well, I double clicked this rune beetle when I first saw it and it transformed into a horse that I was riding. I about **** my pants. I double clicked to get off the horse, and Kurai the Rune Beetle re-appeared under me. Clearly the EM/GM had overlooked something in creating this animal. So I double clicked again, mounted Kurai and rode off. You cannot run (or gallop) when you are riding him (says mount is too fatigued). You can only walk. You can not trade it really -- anyone who double clicks it is the new owner basically. You only own it because you are riding it. You could keep it in your house away from people behind barriers so they can't reach it. It is invulerable, and from the one test I did it doesn't decay (I tested for 28 hours) or disappear at server maintenance.
I own two on two different servers. Like I said, the EM/GM quickly realized the mistake and replaced the missing Kurai's and made the other ones unridable so no one would take more.
Basically, its an invulnerable (monsters ignore it) rune beetle that transforms into a horse you can ride.
Here is a pic collage below.

Still wondering... do you think this is OK to have?

Attachments

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweet lol. I have no idea if it's legal, or it's worth, but that is pimp hehe.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG THAT IS SO FRIGGING COOL!!!! Man i would love to have that, could use it for some awesome RP events.

My bet is though that theres a good chance its illegal, but if it isn't, wow :D.

can you command it?

B

Belanos/Icicle

am I correctly seeing that this is a rune beetle that you mount and it turns into a horse?

if so, I'd say 300 mil or so, if its legal

what happens if you get dismounted?

Z

Zodia

OMG THAT IS SO FRIGGING COOL!!!! Man i would love to have that, could use it for some awesome RP events.

My bet is though that theres a good chance its illegal, but if it isn't, wow :D.

can you command it?
No, but it does take up a slot in your followers list.

am I correctly seeing that this is a rune beetle that you mount and it turns into a horse?

if so, I'd say 300 mil or so, if its legal

what happens if you get dismounted?
Yes, it is a rune beetle that you mount and it turns into a horse.
Don't know about the dismount thing.
But I'd assume it would be just like if I double-clicked it to dismount it. But remember it isn't "owned" by the rider when he is off of it. Anyone can double-click it and ride it away.

Would be a hard item to sell since you can't transfer it... would need a broker.

T

Teufel_Hund

No, but it does take up a slot in your followers list.

Yes, it is a rune beetle that you mount and it turns into a horse.
Don't know about the dismount thing.
But I'd assume it would be just like if I double-clicked it to dismount it. But remember it isn't "owned" by the rider when he is off of it. Anyone can double-click it and ride it away.

Would be a hard item to sell since you can't transfer it... would need a broker.
Priceless, limit who you show it to. I have a feeling if the wrong person sees you with it and reports you at the very least it would be deleted. Although it does not offer you any advantage. cool as hell though.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is highly illegal and it would most likely be deleted on sight, with possible action taken against you. I would recommend paging a GM but it's your choice. Getting caught selling it could lead to a ban.

xblade

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is highly illegal and it would most likely be deleted on sight, with possible action taken against you. I would recommend paging a GM but it's your choice. Getting caught selling it could lead to a ban.

you might what to think about this for a sec it kinda goes like this if it aint locked down its fair game there aitn nothing they can do about it and it is NOT ILLEGAL the only thing they can do is delete it that's all they can do, they can't ban you or anything cuz it was there mistake on not remembering to lock it down plain and simple have a nice day

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All good points that can be included in an email arguing the banning.

I, personally, would not take that risk.

B

Belanos/Icicle

I seem to remember more than one person complaining about a 24-hour ban for having a silver steed. Same circumstances, essentially.

A

ambernectar

I seem to remember more than one person complaining about a 24-hour ban for having a silver steed. Same circumstances, essentially.
silver steeds and ancient wyrms were tamed using an exploit, this guy just picked up an item that wasnt correctly locked down by an EM

cant see how they would ban you for what is essentially their mistake?

cool item:thumbsup:

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this happening wasn't illegal they wouldn't have fixed Rend before ML went out of Beta (same thing happened with him). Though this is a bit different in that he doesn't indiscriminately attack players when you dismount, being invincible makes up for that.

Yes, it IS highly illegal, and yes, you CAN get banned for it quite easily. In fact, I hope someone figures out who you are from these posts and pages on you. If you don't believe me, PM a few of the devs.

Of course, seeing as how you waited two-and-a-half damn years to say anything, you must expect the same.

T

Tazar

I know of a fairly identical situation (Player taming an EM-created animal that should not have existed) and the developers were hot on the players heels preparing a ban when the player agreed to turn it in. Because he turned it in rather than waiting for them to discover it, no action was taken against his account.

Unlocked - on the play-field, or not... some things are not supposed to be in a players hands. Honestly... if you have to ask "is it legal?", then it probably is.

I would not take any chances on it!

D

dragean

sounds to me like some people are just being envious, hoping him to get banned and even sounding like jail house snitches hoping him to get busted. i wouldnt blame him for not coming out until two years later.

i can see him being banned...but not for the reasons everbody would think. yeah...i can see somebody ingame being jealous and sounding like a crybaby, page a g.m. with no knowledge over items, in game mechanics, or anything and then get banned.

i wouldnt worry about it, just dont go parading around luna with it, or displaying it to anyone on here who says you'll get banned....cuz then you will. lol. and for that reason i'd say sell it. its not really your typical rare you can show off or lock down, and you cant really trust a whole lot of people not to page on you like a three year old, so might as well make a buck off of it. or give it to me.

xblade

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
omg you have got to be kiding me ----------- ITS LIKE THIS IF ITS NOT LOCKED DOWN ITS FAIR GAME THATS THERE MISTAKE FOR NOT LOCKING IT DOWN THE ONYL AND THE ONLY THING THEY CAN DO IS DELETE IT THATS ALL THEY CAN BAN HIM/HER FOR ANY REASON THEY HAVE NOT BROKEN THE TERMS AND CONDUCT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have to agree with Tomas as well. We have seen bannings for less. You would probably get re-instated once there was a chance for a full explanation...I just don't trust the GM who sees it to wait for explanations.

To me these items are hardly worth the headache :( That's just me though...

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it IS highly illegal, and yes, you CAN get banned for it quite easily. In fact, I hope someone figures out who you are from these posts and pages on you. If you don't believe me, PM a few of the devs.
Translation:

Waaaaahhhhh, I didn't get one. I'm gonna turn you in, if I can't have one you shouldn't either. LMFAO. Typical.

How do YOU Crysta, KNOW it is illegal? Are you a developer? Are you a GM? Do you interpret/determine UO rules? Give me a break...you don't know crap about it anymore than ANYONE else here.

Personally, I'd take Teufel_Hund's advice. Don't show it off and put it away. Alternatively, take Tomas' advice and page a GM for a determination and be willing to give it up if demanded. Whatever you do, don't bring it out when Crysta is around lol.

FisherNap

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I'd take Teufel_Hund's advice. Don't show it off and put it away. Alternatively, take Tomas' advice and page a GM for a determination and be willing to give it up if demanded. Whatever you do, don't bring it out when Crysta is around lol.
Paging a GM sounds like a very bad idea. If you think it's illegal dispose of it as rapidly as possible. Or keep it hidden well.

Historically, unlocked items at an event have been considered legal to own, assuming they are purely decorative and not advantageous to the player. An invulnerable mount sounds like it would be fit that criteria of illegality. Also pets have been a particular sore spot with the powers that be. Ancient wyrms and silver steeds were tamable by completely legal means (and back when getting to high level taming was frickin' HARD!) yet they are most definitely not legal to own.

Wyatt of Catskills, retired

A

AshMoney

Historically, unlocked items at an event have been considered legal to own, assuming they are purely decorative and not advantageous to the player. An invulnerable mount sounds like it would be fit that criteria of illegality.

Wyatt of Catskills, retired
This is no advantage to him...Yes, he said it was invulnerable, but he also said he cant command it...so theres no way for him to kill anything with it. Not an advantage to him. Not illegal then if wat you say is true

WizzaX

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know of a fairly identical situation (Player taming an EM-created animal that should not have existed) and the developers were hot on the players heels preparing a ban when the player agreed to turn it in. Because he turned it in rather than waiting for them to discover it, no action was taken against his account.

Unlocked - on the play-field, or not... some things are not supposed to be in a players hands. Honestly... if you have to ask "is it legal?", then it probably is.

I would not take any chances on it!

100% true i`m afraid. It does not matter if if was a GM / DEV / EM mistake they can and probably will ban you if you are caught with it.

I would not keep it if i were you. posting it here was a very bad move.

good luck sir.. hehe

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saying that it was their mistake it was not locked down and you cannot be held responsible for it does not really always work. You can use the same logic for a whole range of exploits in the game, including most duping exploits. They do tend to be bugs put into the game due to imperfect coding.

However, the fact that it is an invulnerable mount is enough to grasp that there is something really wrong with it. That the owner took the precaution to erase his name in the screenshot also shows that he more or less knows that it is not legal. Even if he did have any doubts, now he has had enough people telling him that it is illegal.

So, yes - you can try to come up with all kinds of excuses (and we all know how good some are at that) but.. they would just be excuses. Henceforth, all parties involved are aware of the truth in this matter. Everything else is just bla bla bla bla. And as I said, all bla bla bla bla can be put into an email arguing the case when and if you are banned.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect it's illegal to have, but it's not for me to say. The only way to be certain...well, honestly if it were me I would not page a GM. They are not good at making calls when the issues involves something unusual like this. I would instead email chrissay.

BTW you can't run when you are on it because it's stamina is set to 0. This is done so that oracles (NPCs who respond to commands like town criers) stay in place. Why it turns into a horse...hrm. I'm guessing it was originally a horse and given the rune beetle body, since horses are neutral but a rune beetle would attack the players. Poor choice on their part as it turns out, hehe.

A

Arch Magus

That's one of the coolest things. hehe.

I say keep it, and don't tell anyone anything. :thumbsup:
Stick it under one of your mules or something.

C

Chrissay_

At this time this pet violates our terms of service. The developers and customer support highly recommend that the player who is in possession of this pages in on themselves. If another player pages in on you there will be punitive actions taken against your account. These actions can be anywhere from a warning against your account up to and including a termination of your account.

Chrissay

M

Muu Bin

Sounds like Inu may have a bit of sway with the dev's and would like her little buddy back to keep her company. The desert can be a very lonely place, especially for one lonely old soul...

In all seriousness though, it is kinda sad that they won't let you keep it. Wasn't there talk of some kind of "reward" program for reporting bugs a while back? If so, perhaps this might fit that category...

Good luck with your decision... it will be a difficult one to make...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you release it on some deserted item or something? Do you even have the option to release it? Can it be released and killed?

I fear that if you page on yourself they'll ban you even though you're paging on yourself.

-Galen's player

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
silver steeds and ancient wyrms were tamed using an exploit, this guy just picked up an item that wasnt correctly locked down by an EM

cant see how they would ban you for what is essentially their mistake?

cool item:thumbsup:
Not all silver steeds were tamed using an exploit.

T

Tazar

Sounds like Inu may have a bit of sway with the dev's and would like her little buddy back to keep her company. The desert can be a very lonely place, especially for one lonely old soul...

In all seriousness though, it is kinda sad that they won't let you keep it. Wasn't there talk of some kind of "reward" program for reporting bugs a while back? If so, perhaps this might fit that category...

Good luck with your decision... it will be a difficult one to make...
There is such a program, but this one was not reported...

L

LiveInSin

At this time this pet violates our terms of service. The developers and customer support highly recommend that the player who is in possession of this pages in on themselves. If another player pages in on you there will be punitive actions taken against your account. These actions can be anywhere from a warning against your account up to and including a termination of your account.

Chrissay

Which in laymens terms means that they cannot do anything to you presently. They cant track your item, they don't know who you are. Anyone else here who says otherwise is fluffing the truth to make themselves sound more important.

With all of the fire and brimstone that these people are spewing, don't you think they would've done something about it by now if they could've? It is just like police threatening to arrest you. They dont have to threaten. If they had enough evidence to do so, they would do it without hesitation.

What you do is just keep your item out of sight. Looks like a horse when ridden right? Then dont dismount in a public place. They say a Gm will delete it on sight? They sure will, but they also delete water tiles on sight. of which I have recently bought a stack of 3 of them. Go ahead and look up my IP address too then, you stupid witch hunters. Ive played for over 11 years, you gonna threaten to ban me too?

PS, I am a expert in matters such as this. If you require advice as to how to advance in this situation, feel free to contact me directly.

400 666 265

Thank you.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Closing the thread. The OP has received the information he was looking for.

PS, people who think they are "experts" because they have not been caught yet have no idea what they are talking about. If EA/Mythic really decided to come after you, then your expertise is not going to be worth a damn. Be glad you are lost in the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.