• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Solo taming Super Drags

G

Anyone have a suggestion as to where the best taming spot is in relation to the proximity of a quick rez?

As dying a lot seems the norm, It would make sense to tame as near to a shrine/healer as possible.

Any suggestions as to the optimum taming spot?

G

Fire temple
Though beware of groups of less experienced draggy tamers trying to tame in the big central bit heh.

But if you pull one out there, there are healers all round.

the other place with a good healing service is ilshy champ spawn. But it can take a bit of wandering to find them, so a bit more time consuming to work the spawn.

Wenchy

I

imported_Sarphus

You can use the shrine in destard to res. Also, there's a real shrine that's relatively close to destard.

G

I tamed two of them today in fire...one alone which was a b... as my tamer has no peace oh him...the other one with the help of a peacer was fairly easy...

What I did is tame various animals outside the old taming safe spot ...well the spot where the critters can target you but cant hit...tamed broght them to the wall then invised...then released them..its a nice target catcher...keeps the other spawn off and you can tame the big one...

G

I got mine in Ilshenar, near Valor spawn, making sure I had a clear route to the nearby healer hut first.

Was a bit heartstopping getting it back through the woods to the moongate, but I had far less extra stuff to worry about and plenty of running room while I tamed it.

How I did it: run around it on an ethy, run in, attempt peace, run out, wait for timer, run in, attempt peace, if successful close in, dismount, attempt tame. I found it broke peace usually on the 3rd 'you have angered', if the taming attempt hasn't started by then be ready to leggit, remount ethy and start over.

G

Destard Felucca is a good option if there are not a lot of murderers checking it out. The back shrine has no spawn and you can lure one into the area of the champion spawn for easy taming with no spawn (as long as altar is inactive).

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes it is possible to lead tame them solo if you have good fire resist - and good phys resist will help as well. Or if you have worked up to level two honour, and have 120 taming, they can be tamed fairly easily that way as well, but you will need level two honour in all likelihood.

S

SaoirseCat

I got one solo at destard last night. Took my cu sidhe and fought him down to low life. Hiryus actually fight better against them, however, if you use a cu... by the time they're down to low health they have no mana left whatsoever. The one I tamed didn't teleport on me either, which was probably a bit of luck.

I have no peacing to speak of so once I start taming I use magery to constantly invis.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only solo non-bard, & non-uber gear way is Honor. Build your Honor Virtue up. & then embrace honor before taming.

I tried several ways to wear Super Dragon down. However, he would always regen.

G

My crapy computer and lack of peace makes me not able to tame thees draggis.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone have a suggestion as to where the best taming spot is in relation to the proximity of a quick rez?

As dying a lot seems the norm, It would make sense to tame as near to a shrine/healer as possible.

Any suggestions as to the optimum taming spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Letting out my 'secret'(and yes, I know others do this), though really, it's not a secret. If you have the honor virtue build up, just honor yourself and tame, they won't attack you.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Using honour is as valid as anything. Honour isn't easy to build up, and you will probably need at least level two honour to have a good chance of taming your dragon before the honour protection runs out. Every time you use it it also uses up a lot of honour. So while it may seem like an easy way to tame dragons when you see someone do it that way, like many things, appearances can be deceptive.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I see NO "honor" in using this method.

Just my view.

Elladanof Baja

[/ QUOTE ]My blue tamers use honor virtue sparingly, but I do certainly honor-tame critters from time to time and ensure it's topped up to mid-Follower level most of the time.

My red tamer, of course, cannot use the virtues.

<font color="red">Note to ALL:- I have tidied up this thread. Ideas &amp; opinions are up for discussion and/or debate - Posters, however, are not. Understood?</font>

Go on! Click'em!

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just lead tame it...it is actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Just practice and you'll get perfect:) FYI I have 50% ecru ring on and if I get hit I drink a heal pot and one In Mani and im back to 100%hp

And then theres the drags that teleport alot...have to use different tactics on those... ^^

G

Good to see ya here, Az!

Hmm...Lead taming. Now why didn't I think of that?!

Go on! Click'em!

G

I just lured one to a "safe" spot in destard. Yes, there is that long run to the healers though so it is not a good spot to be resed quickly.

Lead taming did the trick for me. I will have to try the Honor taming once as my Virtue of honor is lv 5. Just to see how it works. First I will need to find a BIG Super Dragon.

H

Hattori Goeman

i know this is really really a noob question but if i don't ask i'll never know ^^

do i need bushido to train up my honour?
and if so/not how do i train up my honour?

G

nope, just go into your virtue gump (circle over your paperdoll) and double click the honor icon (make a macro, it works better).
the deal is you have to honor them BEFORE the start of combat, you cannot initiate the combat (ie cant strike first) and you really cant move alot from the spot the combat starts. depending on the creature you get a certain amount of honor, get enough honor to get a title and you can use the ability.
UO Honor link

I need to work on this... I had a SWEET greater dragon last night, 1878hp, great resists. I left 12 corpses to it and then I finally get a sucessful tame attempt... my blood starts pumping, I'm excited! a paragon drake spawns on top of me

H

Hattori Goeman

thanks for the info and the reply!
and ooo sounds like a nice dragon, shame about the drake

I

imported_revenant2

Honor taming rules for solo taming anything you need to get tamed *NOW*, or otherwise want to tame without getting attacked. You should expect to be follower or higher, and be quick with your keys, to make it work well. It's not for casual taming or cu sidhe farming, it's too laborious to build up honor to waste it on something like that.

My perspective on taming the superdragons is, are you trying to get a job done, or trying to be on foot and killed by a 2000 hp, firebreath-blowing, flamestrike-spamming, endless-mana monster standing within 2 tiles of you? At least for now, Honor tame is there for us to use, they didn't take it away or invalidate it when the superdragons came out.

Bunches of people don't use honor and tame superdragons as a team and I think that's great, seeing all the teamwork and cooperation and so-on, but that also doesn't mean that one well-prepared individual shouldn't be able to do it too. And that is how it happens to be, because of Honor.

Honor's provided in the game as a reward for the activity of killing lots of monsters in a hm, honorable, way. Putting honor on a tamer takes a bit of work, too. Things like the sphynx take forever to raise honor on for a tamer, more dangerous things like the succubus give increased rewards for their increased danger and trouble. Honor's not free, effort-wise.

I understand there are people who just work through it and lead tame. Yes that's harder to do than building up Honor and using it to tame your superdragon. I haven't deliberately set out to lead tame one, not counting one situation that just unfolded that way and I didn't have a choice. To me, the difficulty of these justifies just using honor and getting the dragon you want and then going on with your life.

What I do is:

BE ALONE or have people around go invis and stay that way. Peacing on top of honor taming gets in the way, it's redundant and when it fails, the dragon's going to want to bite whoever is standing there and that's just an interruption/interference that increases the chances of the job not getting finished in time.

I have a UO assist macro that causes an insured dagger in my pack to be double clicked, bringing up a targeting cursor.

When there's a superdragon I want, I honor myself (my macro is shift-h, and then I target my own bar), and then I come charging out of invis and go straight up to the dragon. I quickly get off my ethy and then fire my dagger macro and select the dragon's health bar. It gives a little error message, which is fine, I only used the dagger to set the the last target correctly. Then, I hit my taming macro, shift-Q. That's a macro which uses animal taming, and then waits for target, and then last targets.

I see anger cycle messages but the dragon does not actually attack. I quickly hit shift-q each time I see the anger messages. I practically spam the shift-q, actually, because it's a race against time, as your honor will only last but so long. When I see the blue taming messages start I slam the brakes on my macro spamming (its ok to accidently hit it an extra time, though) and then wait, making sure to follow the dragon closely.

When I see the fail message I go straight back to spamming the tame macro. And in the end, I get my dragon with no deaths or even interference from surrounding spawn.

When the tame is succesful and the dragon pops into tamed color, the surrounding spawn, if there is any, ignores me and attacks my newly tamed dragon. Superdragons are pretty tough at least, so that hasn't been a show stopper with any of the tames I've done so far. Gating straight out of the Tram dungeons isn't a bad idea because of how this happens.

Then, I have to go work honor to replenish the honor spent. It's a maintained thing, not a once-off deal.

I did manage to tame one as seeker and not follower, but I don't recommend it. I barely got it, my honor ran out right as the second tame attempt started, I was invissing and hoping for the best, pulling back in what had suddenly become a lead tame. Also, the one and only time I died doing this was when I attempted to do it as seeker. Follower is the correct honor level for this and at that, you need to be fast.

With follower of honor I can survive 3 or so anger cycle attempts/fails at taming a superdragon before the honor runs out, maybe more. With 120 tame 120 lore it's worked out well so far and I've collected every dragon I've gone for while follower.

Honor is there for us to use, as a reward for following a set of guidelines and maintaining 'honor', no shame on my part here.

It also works for taming other people's aggro-cycle pets that have gone wild in town. Without honor, the pet is guard whacked on its first aggro attempt on you, but with honor activated there's no guard whack because the actual attack never comes. Just hope to get it tamed before the honor runs out, and if it's about to run out, one might stop the tame attempts before the pet goes splat. You will be able to try honor-tame again in like 5 minutes.

If you've never honor tamed before and want to try, I'd suggest getting a feel for it on some cu sidhes (where you can be mounted) and then maybe try the superdragons. If you go too slow on the cu sidhes and get bit it's not as bad, as you can gallop clear and perhaps survive.

I

imported_MonkeyBusiness

Excellent post revenant2! Probably the best summary of honor taming I have read to-date. I wish I had known all of this a couple of months ago but I learned the hard way like most people - failing miserably at peace-taming these great dragons and Ooooo'ing a lot! I agree that Follower honor level is the minimum requirement for taming greater drags. Since utilizing honor taming I have only died 2 times while taming about 15 g-drag's. In fact after several weeks of looking, farming, and taming Greater Dragons I have finally found the ultimate keeper!!!!
HP = 942
STR = 635
85/74/43/55/56
WRESTLING = 92.1/115.1
TACTICS = 89.1/111.3
MAGERY = 119.0
RESIST SPELLS = 83.4/104.3

That would be a HP/1-Phys Resis rating of 6280 with great strength and solid wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also found an awesome dragon that is almost as good:
HP = 889
STR = 592, low : (
Great phys/fire resist
85/86/41/60/64
WRESTLING = 92.3/115.4
TACTICS = 91.6/114.6
MAGERY = 109
RESIST SPELLS = 87.8/109.7
HP/1-Phys Resist rating of 5926.6666666!!!!!!

5% Luck

Heres another great way to tame one solo (non bard)

What I do is tame a sacrificial lamb so to speak. I tame a fresh cu and keep it alive just long enough to beat down the dragon. Then just as the dragons redlines(or close) I let the dragon kill him. Making me 0 followers and the dragons very slow and mana drain him a few times. Also If I still have some trouble with teleporting I can embrace honor then.

The other way(bard) is I area peace after every angered the beast message one attempt at a time. Then when I get the taming going I cast invisi through the whole process. Each time Im revealed from my own words I recast fast. While this can take some(long) time It does offer a death free taming experiences.