• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So who else does this?

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gotten tired of buying razor blades for outrageous prices, so I've gone back to what many of our Grandparents used.

Who else has tried this and what's your opinion of it?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tib why does that not suprise me at all. FYI folks its not the shaving that dulls the blade it is water drying off of them so if you dry them you can have them last for well... ummm... I don't really know I have been using the same one for 4 months and its still sharp so not sure how long that will last.

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well in a way it's more than just saving some money, straight razors have been around for so long collecting different vintage one's cleaning them up, doing minor repairs if needed and putting them back into use is an interesting hobby as well. For example the maker mark on that razor I posted a picture of date it back to mid 1800's. Have to say it shaves very nicely and having really sensitive skin I'm getting less razor burn from using it than from more modern razors.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Watch me be all nice and not make that sensitive face joke Tib. FYI we miss you in UO. You are right though they are nice I just tend to shave dry and with a straight razor that is a terrible idea.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I don't. Please elaborate.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
T

Tavor-21

Actually have my own. Used it through last year & it works.... just don't get suprised while working on your neck....

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm nervous when the barber uses it on me. Not a chance I'll be doing it to myself.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm nervous when the barber uses it on me. Not a chance I'll be doing it to myself.
I find it relaxing, you can't rush it, you have to pay a bit of attention and all the extra prep work that comes from making your own lather from a block of shaving soap then using the brush gives you a bit of time to slow down and enjoy the whole process.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Waxing is good for some things but I am not waxing my face. :p My eyebrows get waxxed thats about enough I can handle.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I find it relaxing, you can't rush it, you have to pay a bit of attention and all the extra prep work that comes from making your own lather from a block of shaving soap then using the brush gives you a bit of time to slow down and enjoy the whole process.
I might try it. I dunno, even with a safety razor, I occasionally have to use little pieces of toilet paper to keep from bleeding to death.