• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So what's the difference between the two cannon types?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there any functional difference between the two cannon types?

'cause, if there isn't, then why ever make the pancakegly one that takes way more materials to make?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there any functional difference between the two cannon types?

'cause, if there isn't, then why ever make the pancakegly one that takes way more materials to make?
No difference in damage or firing that i can see, if you have to make cannons, i'd suggest the Culverin at 900 ingots.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Didn't they phrase the info on the two cannons that with one you can cause lots of damage to ships, and the other less damage to ships plus more damage to crew? Not sure, that info was not very clear on specifics..

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The last patch notes that I saw said that they are functionally identical. Historically, if anyone cares, Carronades fired massive balls for a very short distance, while culverins were long barreled, long distance smaller caliber pieces. Would be nice if that was in game, but, oh well.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since the small cannon had no benefit other than doing less damage we asked the devs to make one size cannon instead. @Laura_Gold Why are you :pancakes: about the devs listening to what we asked.

You can do what I am doing and make small cannon balls now to save resources.
They will not stack with the larges later but half the iron is worth that. IMO. The only cannon ball you can make when the publish goes ww costs 12 ingots.

Didn't they phrase the info on the two cannons that with one you can cause lots of damage to ships, and the other less damage to ships plus more damage to crew? Not sure, that info was not very clear on specifics..
You confusing grape shot with cannon types. STOP!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did not hear when you asked it, prob'ly for the same reasons I did not hear when someone asked not to have talking pets any more.
Both were on the forum the devs monitor daily.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What I want to see is the Great "Unknown Cannon"... the 48-Pounder.

Its never come in to play... and I was/am hoping it finally comes with the newest resurgence to High Seas. Would I put money on it? NOPE!

Cannon - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Goodness knows I sell a LOT of cannons... and I stopped bothering with the smaller for the larger. Sales just didnt support justifying taking up space and FEES on my vendor. Why buy a 22 when you can get a 44 Magnum? Look at it that way. ;) If the 48-Pounder comes along... I dread to think how to craft them, seeing you have to load ingots every single heavy cannon made. I'm sure it would be a reward or treasure, if it ever happens. I'll be making ammo. All and all, you can easily answer the basic question of what difference it makes with "Go Big or Go Home"! hehe

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Since the small cannon had no benefit other than doing less damage we asked the devs to make one size cannon instead. @Laura_Gold Why are you :pancakes: about the devs listening to what we asked.

They will not stack with the larges later but half the iron is worth that. IMO. The only cannon ball you can make when the publish goes ww costs 12 ingots.

You confusing grape shot with cannon types. STOP!
Awesome so these are diff. things. TY

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Is grapeshot useful in 104 or you can still rely on pets to kill the crew?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hunt the ship.

Cripple the ship so it cant move... Cannon Balls.

Kill off the entire crew... who refuses to surrender... Grape Shot.

Loot the ship.

Go to 1.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, does that mean that after the publish goes live that the small cannon balls along with the small powder charges will work as Large ones do? As in, they will do the same damage?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will be no large or small cannon balls, just 'cannonballs' and the difference between the two cannons will be cosmetic only. Small cannon balls, and all other 'small' ammo etc will disappear from the crafting menu - but we'll be able to 'make all at once' instead of making everything in single pieces.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will be no large or small cannon balls, just 'cannonballs' and the difference between the two cannons will be cosmetic only. Small cannon balls, and all other 'small' ammo etc will disappear from the crafting menu - but we'll be able to 'make all at once' instead of making everything in single pieces.
I understand that what you have posted. The question was what will become of my current inventory of the small cannon balls and small powder charges? Heck we can even throw in the small grapeshot. My question was mainly asked due to Pawain's comment above.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand that what you have posted. The question was what will become of my current inventory of the small cannon balls and small powder charges? Heck we can even throw in the small grapeshot. My question was mainly asked due to Pawain's comment above.
The small balls/grapeshot/powder will work the same as heavy after the publish hits the rest of the shards. I have tested this on Origin already.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is grapeshot useful in 104 or you can still rely on pets to kill the crew?
Grapeshot is same. All will be large.
On the pirate ships and cargo ships you can do what you did before. Pet can kill pirate as before.

The plunder beacons can not be boarded so archers or distance damagers work better for those. Those mystic crates are worth exponentially more.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Grapeshot is same. All will be large.
On the pirate ships and cargo ships you can do what you did before. Pet can kill pirate as before.

The plunder beacons can not be boarded so archers or distance damagers work better for those. Those mystic crates are worth exponentially more.
I use my Sampire with archery and resist. Works very well.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use my Sampire with archery and resist. Works very well.
I will have a crew of 2 being sailed around. Archer/bard and mage tamer for healing and res as needed. We kill the crew then scuttle the ship. Pet and archers will kill the pirate.

I made an orc slayer bow to use.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried on Test with my discord archer and the ship crew I did not have any issues with, I tried to get the Plunder Beacon and I kept getting disarmed. Also discord would not work on the orcs firing the cannons

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will have a crew of 2 being sailed around. Archer/bard and mage tamer for healing and res as needed. We kill the crew then scuttle the ship. Pet and archers will kill the pirate.

I made an orc slayer bow to use.
For the pirate ships I just use a tamer. For the plunderbeacon I use the sampire. A fire beetle with poison takes out the pirates quick.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All fair in all NPC ship raiding. :p

Shrike the colors... raise the skull and crossed-bones! Muhahahahaaaaaa

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are there dead spots on those (like in the corners where their cannons cannot fire at you while you sit and plink at the crew?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, you can get in the corners and get close enough to kill two of the crew per corner and not take much damage, if at all. I'll show a screen shot when i have time to make it.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My uncle and I use to team up to do High Seas ship raids... back when it was new. It was a lot of fun.

Worked out a great system to keep the NPC ship from "floundering" so we couldn't attack it... with success. He would work the boat while I controlled the cannons.

Problem is... it was so long ago, I dont remember who I used from my team. I have several specialized huntresses... mainly use a tamer with discord, but it couldn't have been her. Had to be a peace-mage. I also could have had an archer sitting hidden, after the ship was disabled and a few grape-shop rallies didnt kill them all. Stealth-mage could board, hidden... peace and attack.

Either way... it was highly effective. Made me wish they would raise the difficulty AND rewards. A few crates of special booze was hardly worth bothering with. Now? I dont think it would sell at all. I also completed a orc ship... or whatever they are?... I forget. BUT I have one. Purple. :D Clearly.

I think that was the thing. After several weeks of raiding adventures on the seas... the thrill wore off fairly quickly. Not to mention the extreme issue trying to reach the docks thanks to the grand blockade. As I said before, I have sold SO many cannons, cannonballs, and tools for the cannons... over the years, the gold is far better then anything we could get raiding. Its like being the only shop selling mining tools to the thousands of miners in the gold rush. So many of them got nothing. The guys selling supplies cleaned up. hehe :cool: