• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So was going to convert my castle & then found out ....

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had just spent forever in emptying out a castle
( because I've played UO since 1997 & I am paranoid ) ...
Gm said that the new "convert" castles are a slightly "different footprint" ..
SO.... you maybe can NOT convert your castle, in the exact same spot..
sometimes this is because of the foot print -
sometimes because of a neighbor being 1 tile away ( which is legal placement )....
sometimes because of a mound of ice or grass ..

But the deal is - you MAY not be able to convert your castle in the exact same footprint ..
which is very very disappointing .. why make a "conversion" that does not use the same footprint?
Its a no harm no fowl if your try to place & the area won't let you..just thought I'd point that out ....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do you have a tree in your courtyard? Because you can't convert if you do.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
which is very very disappointing .. why make a "conversion" that does not use the same footprint?
Because the old footprint had the courtyard where there is no foundation. The new castles all have the foundation that covers the whole base area.
But I do agree with your frustration. The proper thing to do was to either have the new castles drop the placement check during the conversion, or for them to remove the obstructions from the plots in question (it's not like there are thousands of them). But... this is UO and we have what we have.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have a tree in your courtyard? Because you can't convert if you do.
my castle is on Ice Island- no tree or ice mound inside inner courtyard..
my castle is properly placed ..
has a neighbor 1 tile to the west of me ..

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
my castle is on Ice Island- no tree or ice mound inside inner courtyard..
my castle is properly placed ..
has a neighbor 1 tile to the west of me ..
did anyone behind you convert?

I had two keeps one in back of the other, I converted the northern most one first and because of the added tile width for the step, I was unable to convert the one in front of it as there was only 4 tiles in between them then.

someone to the side should not matter for a castle.

Last edited:

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Problem is in front since new designs can have stairs all the way compared to old ones with stairs just in the middle. My guess is you wont have any problem to convert.
One thing you could do is to check other shards and test shard to see if there is a new desgin castle where your house is located. Or if its empty on test you can place one to see if it works.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess is go out and see what's in front and behind and walk the steps that's probably the problem then..

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
am 1 or 2 tiles in front of cavern .. i see tile clear in front of the steps before a mound of ice

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok - so since GM said it would either go ahead & do it or I'd be with the same
UO orignal castle design i went ahead.. and it worked .. it wasn't the Castle Stronghold design I'd wanted..
but maybe that will be up again for a vote -
I truely have enough pixels from years i can deco with - i need the flat square box shape ..