• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, umm...percentage chance for a Blaze Cu..

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SO UOcah says 0.004, or 1 in 23301....so I read that the first time and was like, wtf ? What a ridiculously low chance, and then I started trying to get one, and if I could reach through the internet and slap a Dev in the mouth I would over this shenanigan. This is single handedly the most insulting random number generation thingy in the history of ever. This make me wonder about the first person to get one to spawn. Did they report the number of tames they did (23301). Cuz I"m gonna call mega ShullBit..on that one. If I got one, I would probably stick it in the stables and never pull it out, or I would bank sit and show it off, or I would sell it for more gold than I've ever had. I don't know. The point of this thread ?....not sure, just feeling a little disgruntled..but it might be the bottle of wine I've consumed in record time...addendum:...the closest I've ever come to getting a blaze was the approximately 10 seconds where I was taming a Paragon cu. Yes the server allowed me to start the tame, and then it just ended like it never started..In my current attempt I'm going to list the percentage chance at 1 in 2800+ because that's about where I"m at right now.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you got a little post it note and started putting IIII IV, V, VIII. MCMXLVII..etc....really ? I've never done anything in UO 50k times, I don't think I have..and if I did I damn sure didn't count it...hrm.....

Punisher

Journeyman
I can kill approx 150-175/hr, I know I have put over that many hours in the past 3 years killing them total over 50k. easy math.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know why I"m still trying, I ran my UO emulator and edited the code to have them spawn more frequently and then tamed one. Of course I"m the only one on my shard, but I wanted to see what the big deal is. They look cool that's for sure, but 1 in 23000 is freaking stupid. If this was Leurocians doing someone seriously needs to punch him in the throat...this almost makes me want to seriously log in to the official boards and post my displeasure, but I"m staying strong to my vow to never post there again while Mariah is a mod...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can kill approx 150-175/hr, I know I have put over that many hours in the past 3 years killing them total over 50k. easy math.
Dude I have a sweet set up for beating them down, then taming them, and there's no way in UO hell you're killing 3 per minute. Not when you have to run around to find them, plus deal with the paragons...Post a video, I'll watch it..and 1 in 23000 is somewhere around 98 hrs of continuous killing taming and that's if you kill or tame them every 15 seconds , every tame attempt would have to be succesful on the 1st tame which is impossible, or your Karma would be so low that every pixie and Paragon would be attacking you.....

Punisher

Journeyman
I run a sampire there, kill cu in approx 3-4 hits, and paragons take about 60-80 seconds to kill. 150 is a low number and can kill that mnany for sure in an hour

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I kill them too in that many hits, i'm also fairly good at math, and yours is wayyyy off. I believe you have one, I just don't believe the number you say you killed to get it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before the revamp players on LS thought 1 spawned per year. Then players had incentive when the taming revamp came out. The players I know that spawned them took between 1 and 2 months of daily spawning.

You do not have to kill the non paragons. Tame, rename them and release them. They will fight the changelings.

Here is what we call a Cu Ranch on LS.

Punisher

Journeyman
I lucked out on my blaze that I tamed, it was only approx 2 months into taming them, I haven't seen one since but sure I killed over 50,000 now

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before the revamp players on LS thought 1 spawned per year. Then players had incentive when the taming revamp came out. The players I know that spawned them took between 1 and 2 months of daily spawning.

You do not have to kill the non paragons. Tame, rename them and release them. They will fight the changelings.

Here is what we call a Cu Farm on LS.
I don't even try in there, don't even get me started on how ridiculous changelings are. I've been taming the ones outside of the entrance. I've gotten a few whites and blacks, all I need to hear now is that the Devs coded the outdoors area to not spawn Blaze, that would be par for the course though..

Punisher

Journeyman
Pawain that is what I use to do when I tamed my blaze, than I heard the 1 in 23000, so I started killing them off since it was alot faster, but I haven't seen one since

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain Do you have a blaze you tamed yourself and didn't purchase ?
My tamer that has Cus is human. I have all the other colors except blaze. All trained with different abilities. I got mine by helping other players kill the paragons so they gave me colors.

I can not do repetitive things like that.

Do yourself a favor and change to human so you don't have to do this madness! :lol:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have invested literally thousands of hours to the elusive Blaze Cu during my time. The only Blaze I ever saw spawn was running a Twaulo... I honestly damn near put my fist through my monitor.

I have always killed the tamed Cu off by telling it to kill a para Cu then releasing it. If there is no para Cu I just put it on another Cu. With the decreased hp's on the tamed one they generally lose. No Karma loss and lets me roll on to the next one quicker.... and also does not force me to leave the spawn area in case that elusive Blaze one spawn.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I tamed one a couple of months ago and sold it for a ridiculous amount of gold.
the number of hours I've put in there on the grind makes me think that the 1 per 23k is a low number.
sure was a jolt to see the blaze one spawn, cold sweaty palms on the keyboard.... no one make any sudden movements else it might run!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
People have forgotten a key part of the 23,000 number too. It spawns on a random shard, not necessarily the same one you’re farming on. The spawn number information came directly from dev Leurocian, which is how the number is so exact.

Sometimes one sits on a low population shard for days until someone finds it. I used to have a guildie who farmed them professionally and the first thing he did every day was run through every shard to check. He found three of them that way. I think his total was around 7ish over his cu career. He was pretty much single handedly supplying them for years.

I’ve also watched one get killed by someone who didn’t know how extremely valuable they are. It spawned, he attacked, and it died in seconds.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’ve also watched one get killed by someone who didn’t know how extremely valuable they are. It spawned, he attacked, and it died in seconds.

I killed one as well. I was farming them for months when I could and one spawned as I start taming it 3 people from a guild show up out of the blue. Told me to stop taming it that it was theirs they control the spawn and to leave and thank you for spawning it for us. I said no its mine they started to attack it to break my tame then after some more words and I started to attack it and ended up killing it because I would not let that person and guild take what i worked hard for. They even paged a GM on me saying I was being the mean one calling names and stopping them from taming it.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know why I"m still trying, I ran my UO emulator and edited the code to have them spawn more frequently and then tamed one. Of course I"m the only one on my shard, but I wanted to see what the big deal is. They look cool that's for sure, but 1 in 23000 is freaking stupid.
I think I spent about 3-5 years of my life chasing pixels before I realized what a collosal waste of time it can be. UO has some of the worst grinds I ever encountered. Like that luck mempo you get for taking your boat across the ocean 10k times. What a waste of time lol. Same for this colored pet.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 in 23301 is a probability (For non-math oriented folk, this means that as you get closer to spending an infinite amount of time farming cu sidhes, your average will drift towards 1 blaze in 23301 spawned puppies;
but each instance has the same remote chance of being the blaze.)

You could be incredibly lucky and get two in a short amount of time. A terribly unlucky player, such as myself, can spend more than a decade in pursuit of one without ever seeing those sweet, sweet pixels...

Also, the devs coded paragon to take effect after the pet spawns (colored or not), so 1 out of every 20ish blaze cu sidhes becomes a paragon and poofs out of existence without ever being tamed :sad3:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That has nothing to do with them spawning. :cool:
Can't tell if sarcasm. But if I were selling something that could also occur in game without someone buying it from me, I would decrease the likelihood of it happening for free.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't tell if sarcasm. But if I were selling something that could also occur in game without someone buying it from me, I would decrease the likelihood of it happening for free.
I'm in Dallas this weekend. I'll say hi to JFK for you.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm in Dallas this weekend. I'll say hi to JFK for you.
Even if you don't believe my conspiracy theory of them being cash shop owners on the side... There's still the Totem that solves a problem they have control over fixing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even if you don't believe my conspiracy theory of them being cash shop owners on the side... There's still the Totem that solves a problem they have control over fixing.
They purposely excluded Cus from the totem. Having things difficult to get keeps people playing.

If that's not the case, why isn't test center full of players playing with all the items.

And you have been told in unleashed who owns the RMT sites.

Yall act like UO is a mega billion dollar game.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SO UOcah says 0.004, or 1 in 23301....so I read that the first time and was like, wtf ? What a ridiculously low chance, and then I started trying to get one, and if I could reach through the internet and slap a Dev in the mouth I would over this shenanigan. This is single handedly the most insulting random number generation thingy in the history of ever. This make me wonder about the first person to get one to spawn. Did they report the number of tames they did (23301). Cuz I"m gonna call mega ShullBit..on that one. If I got one, I would probably stick it in the stables and never pull it out, or I would bank sit and show it off, or I would sell it for more gold than I've ever had. I don't know. The point of this thread ?....not sure, just feeling a little disgruntled..but it might be the bottle of wine I've consumed in record time...addendum:...the closest I've ever come to getting a blaze was the approximately 10 seconds where I was taming a Paragon cu. Yes the server allowed me to start the tame, and then it just ended like it never started..In my current attempt I'm going to list the percentage chance at 1 in 2800+ because that's about where I"m at right now.
I really don't get the Dev hate on this one. There is a significant portion of UO player who LOOVE to grind. They need something to feel challenged. This is what the blaZe Cu is for. If this one is too much for you, then you are not the target for this pet. There are less rare colors that you can realistically get in a few hours or a few days, depending on your preference. And had they made a blaze Cu more attainable, they'd need to come up with some other even rarer color to satisfy those uber-grinders.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really don't get the Dev hate on this one. There is a significant portion of UO player who LOOVE to grind. They need something to feel challenged. This is what the blaZe Cu is for. If this one is too much for you, then you are not the target for this pet. There are less rare colors that you can realistically get in a few hours or a few days, depending on your preference. And had they made a blaze Cu more attainable, they'd need to come up with some other even rarer color to satisfy those uber-grinders.
Yeah I guess that's why they came up with the Cu skins huh ?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"ve played guitar since I was 3, but there are so many incredibly awesome guitarist on YouTube, I gave that up. I've pirated until I'm blue in the face, and the Devs clearly aren't going to spice that aspect of UO up any. I mean, how many ingots and wood does one really need ? I've never been a Roof fan. I can't remember the last time I looted any overland spawn at all, or dungeon for that matter. I guess I'll do like everyone else and wait around now for Halloween and hope there's at least something new that peaks my interest, but I doubt it.

Hearing now that all of my recent hard work might actually generate a Blaze on some shard like Sakura just saps the UO life right out of me.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dont give up! You will have one in less than 2 months if you spawn them every day! Then what r u gonna do.....

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks to this thread, my skill in Disappointment has increased by 0.1.....I've either got to move on to the next thing that mildly peaks my interest, or..uh.....hell idk...
If you find something and want some company, I'll play with people. I've been playing Rimworld, Terraria, Sega Genesis Collection, and Elden Ring, but getting bored AF. I thought about grabbing Symphony of War off Steam, but I don't usually like playing games like that on PC. Oh and I play a lot LOT of league.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks to this thread, my skill in Disappointment has increased by 0.1.....I've either got to move on to the next thing that mildly peaks my interest, or..uh.....hell idk...

If this helps. A player called out in chat to tame a Lesser for their Warrior. I went with them to tame it.

It was a Midnight Blue, they said they been trying for three days to get it. They were very happy once it was transferred to their warrior.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With me it's ALWAYS sarcasm.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
People have forgotten a key part of the 23,000 number too. It spawns on a random shard, not necessarily the same one you’re farming on. The spawn number information came directly from dev Leurocian, which is how the number is so exact.

Sometimes one sits on a low population shard for days until someone finds it. I used to have a guildie who farmed them professionally and the first thing he did every day was run through every shard to check. He found three of them that way. I think his total was around 7ish over his cu career. He was pretty much single handedly supplying them for years.
How would this work exactly? Because when you kill a cu on one shard, how would a new cu spawn on another without someone killing a cu on that shard?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How would this work exactly? Because when you kill a cu on one shard, how would a new cu spawn on another without someone killing a cu on that shard?
I would be suprised if that's actually true and not just a misunderstanding in communication. After all people are reading a lot into every developer post and totally neglect that developers sometimes go for the more convinient answer than the true but unpopular one. I mean since when are shards that interconnected that a spawn on a shard would know about all spawns on other shards? Are there other examples of systems that span all shards? Vendor search, character transfer, unvendorable items after transfers, etc. are more of an indicator to me that shards are rather self-contained, yet for a singular pet spawn they went the long way? Would like to see the original comment from the developers for more context.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Completely agree. Really couldn't have said it better myself.

Blaze Cu's while super rare still come down to RNG. Like someone said, they were only taming Cu's for about 2months before they found theirs while others have taken over a decade with no luck. Not much different than doing Shadowguard looking for a cameo. Back when I grinded that with a friend, I must have done 75-100 rounds before I got my first cameo and in that same time my partner had gotten 3 (which leads to the "my account is marked so I don't get drops" theory people have).

I will also remind you that the 1 in 23k or whatever it is, probably would be like the whole MiB thing (1 in 25) where breaking it up basically restarts the counter (I used to open MiBs as I got them 1-2 at time and went over a year or 2 with 0 white chests). Given the odds are so low, we are talking about crossing server downs etc so the best bet is to just try for however long you enjoy it before you get bored. If you get bored after 15min, maybe taming one yourself isn't going to work. I've tried to find a blaze over the years by just logging in for an hour or 2 here and there killing a bunch of Cu's (never getting a blaze); it's given me something to do (ie entertainment) over the years when I want to play UO but don't really know what to do.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So doing this much taming (more than I"ve ever done btw) has made me realize how Taming could benefit from an overhead text update. I'm not a very profound writer so some of you I"m sure can come up with something better but..

1. You seem to anger the beast, this needs to be changed to something like, "Attempting to tame this wild creature has caused it to focus its aggressions on you"...
2. You start to tame the creature....nothing wrong with this I guess, although I started to tame it when I angered it, or so I thought.
3. I've been searching for a companion like you. Huh ? Can we do a little better than this ?
4. I promise to take good care of you ? This beast was doing fine by itself...
5. If you accompany me, we will protect one another ....lol
6. Will you travel with me noble creature ? ...another lol
7. I can protect you from the dangers of this world...uhh no you can't, you can say All Kill and then invis, and then shout out in GC for a pet rez.
8. It would be mutually beneficial if we were to join forces..this is debateable on how beneficial it is to the pet .
9. It seems to accept you as master.....this is pretty anti-climactic.
All of those need a re-write in my opinion. As for releasing a tamed pet. In no way did the creature decide it was better off without a master. The master decided that. That message should have been reserved for unfed pets that go wild. Maybe something like, "You decide to end your friendship with this beast and return it to the wild...blah blah blah...

Anyway, show me your RP writing skills and rewrite these...or don't...lol.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So cater to the 1%?? Let me guess a developers friend??
Well, don't look at me. I hate the grind. Special events where I "have" to do it just because the reward is too good generally make me stop playing for a year or more. But some players love it. So why not give them what they want? God knows it does not require much time or thinking to implement a grind.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run a sampire there, kill cu in approx 3-4 hits, and paragons take about 60-80 seconds to kill. 150 is a low number and can kill that mnany for sure in an hour
No you don't, LOL. They don't spawn that fast. My husband, a guildmate and I have gone in there weeks on end trying to spawn a blaze. Most of the time we are standing around waiting for any Cu to spawn. I doubt we are even spawning 100 an hour.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would never do the grind myself, but this thread certainly convices me that blaze CUs indeed have a sort of purpose in UO :popcorn:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Strange/stupid question but here goes. Is there a chance of spawning colored dogs from the crystals ?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All your doing with this thread is make people want them more you will be seeing them for sale for 20p now lol