• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, skilling chiv....

Gardo

Journeyman
Man, does it suck! That is all....

Seriously though, I thought taking healing to 120 on my cu’s sucked but then I had never actually tried to 120 a magic. (Only ever taken chiv to 110 before)

Anyway I’ve been using gregario and discording pet.... sometimes go three whispers without a gain. Is RNG just being temperamental with me or is this to be expected? I’m a patient guy, but good lord....

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's why I laugh at the people on Atlantic who try to sucker people into paying 400-500m for their 9x120 cu's with unskilled chiv and healing... that is alot of the worth, because that is what alot of people have issue with. The fact you can spend an hour training and slapping some scrolls on a pet and another couple hours getting wrestling and tactics to 120 is nothing in comparison.

As for raising Chiv to 120, I've done it a couple hundred times since the taming patch came out, it's about time invested while whispering.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hang in Gardo
While I haven’t skilled as many as Khaelor, I have done a number of pets. Just hang in there the skill will go up and it’ll stay stuck for a few whispers. Just know you are on the right path with discording your pet and working it at Gregario (shadow elemental works well too).

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use one of the islands in shame and let it attack a blood ellie...so its only casting - not spending mana on ai or healing much, as I vet it all the time.

XeneX

Adventurer
Chiv is the second slowest skill I've trained on pets, the first being disco. I've taken chiv to 120 on probably 2 dozen so far, and every one has hit 120 on Gregorio while disco'd. Gains are always a bit chunky, but they do happen, mostly while whispered.

Shiranui Renn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's why I laugh at the people on Atlantic who try to sucker people into paying 400-500m for their 9x120 cu's with unskilled chiv and healing...
To be honest I wouldn't sell a fully trained 9x120 cu for only 500m.

I personally don't see a problem selling/buying a cu (if it's a good one of course) for 400-500 with chiv and healing in it's lower hundreds. Pet colour (excluding the rare like blaze aso) ads to the price, the 9 scrolls have their price too and you still have to invest some time to get the cu up to 5 slot and at least get the other 7 skills to 120.

I don't know what you are doing for a living but taking the actual gold prices I would make more out of my time just working for RL cash and buy such a "unfinished" cu for 500m instead of doing all the actual training myself.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I had np raising chiv to 120 on my cu but im stuck at 110 healing. I was told u need to discord your cu to get it to 120 healing. I should not have to get my pet discorded for it to gain healing. I don't care if it's gains are slow but to have to sit there and discord your pet to gain is just lame. just my opinion.

Gardo

Journeyman
I had np raising chiv to 120 on my cu but im stuck at 110 healing. I was told u need to discord your cu to get it to 120 healing. I should not have to get my pet discorded for it to gain healing. I don't care if it's gains are slow but to have to sit there and discord your pet to gain is just lame. just my opinion.
I agree. No pet should have to be discorded in order to skill to 120.

I will say healing was no problem at all for me. I had read in the forums to skill before adding chiv. (I’m guessing disco was my friend though)

Anyway, I’ve been hunting with my wife’s bane and it’s chiv is slowly gaining. I’ll finish it off at gregario sometime.... I lost my motivation to skill a few nights back. Killing stuff is a lot more entertaining. :bdh:

XeneX

Adventurer
To be honest I wouldn't sell a fully trained 9x120 cu for only 500m.

I personally don't see a problem selling/buying a cu (if it's a good one of course) for 400-500 with chiv and healing in it's lower hundreds. Pet colour (excluding the rare like blaze aso) ads to the price, the 9 scrolls have their price too and you still have to invest some time to get the cu up to 5 slot and at least get the other 7 skills to 120.

I don't know what you are doing for a living but taking the actual gold prices I would make more out of my time just working for RL cash and buy such a "unfinished" cu for 500m instead of doing all the actual training myself.
PS alone, bought at current prices, are going to be ~250m for a 9x120. Pricing out the work to get them to 120 is really a question of how you value your time, but personally I think 250m for a 120 on any of the slow skills (healing/disco/chiv) are cheap as hell for how I value the time I put into them.

Gardo

Journeyman
I don't think anyone is saying they have to be disco'd, just that it will happen A LOT faster if they are.
Yeah...I have disco and understand that.
My comment was in response to
....... I was told u need to discord your cu to get it to 120 healing. I should not have to get my pet discorded for it to gain healing....
Guess I could have worded it a little better.
Anyway, you certainly don’t NEED disco to skill pets but good God, I’d hate to think about skilling without.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The problem with chiv for pets is the same as it is for players. At 115 chiv, your pet has a 100% success rate. So gains will be crazy, if not ridiculously slow. So, discordance is very much needed.
Personally, I will just throw on discord and music, so I get the magic's to cap on my pets.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
used my cu a lot. 120 chiv but healing 110.1 for 3 months WITH NO HEALING GAINS and yes took 120 heal lol

Last edited:

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
used my cu a lot. 120 chiv but healing 110.1 for 3 months WITH NO HEALING GAINS and yes took 120 heal lol
Try disco it, say all stop and all stay and toss poison on it (gm poisoner is good, but lesser work)... let it be poisoned and cure and heal up. Rince and repeat. I did 115 healing in 5-6 hrs that way.

XeneX

Adventurer
For healing my strat is to grab a bunch of poison spitting dino's and acid eles from the eodon swamps, tele across to an island so the pet is close but can't hit them, and disco my pet. Goal would be to get it curing high level poison a lot. Stand back and call the pet to you if you need to heal it at any point. Still takes some time, but will get past those blocks. Also works for training magics like chiv or magery.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have an alt account (or start an EJ account), get five 1 slot snakes, then train them up to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning. Sick them on your Cu while running Empowerment or Consume Damage on the Cu, and sit back and watch a video on another monitor as the gains fly. The Cu constantly curing Lethal Poison will give it great gains.
This will also be one of the only ways to train Healing on a Triton, since they can have enough Resist skill to be immune to even a 120 Mage's Poison spell.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off Disco is useless for healing.... it has no effect on the skill. Where disco helps will depend on how you are training healing. I literally took healing to 120 sitting in my house casting deadly poison on my pet. It took under 6 hrs.... I want to say closer to 4hrs in total. My goal was to keep him constantly poisoned. Where disco helps is this also raised your RS. And disco does effect that skill.

So don't add HPR to your pet until after you take it to 120 healing. Dont train RS. And cast deadly poison. or go play with the dimes. Chiv is by far the worse. there is a hole around 103 that is damn hard to climb out of.

XeneX

Adventurer
First off Disco is useless for healing.... it has no effect on the skill. Where disco helps will depend on how you are training healing. I literally took healing to 120 sitting in my house casting deadly poison on my pet. It took under 6 hrs.... I want to say closer to 4hrs in total. My goal was to keep him constantly poisoned. Where disco helps is this also raised your RS. And disco does effect that skill.

So don't add HPR to your pet until after you take it to 120 healing. Dont train RS. And cast deadly poison. or go play with the dimes. Chiv is by far the worse. there is a hole around 103 that is damn hard to climb out of.
When using dims and acid elies disco helps, makes them more poisonable and take a lot more dmg.

Gardo

Journeyman
Does the fact anatomy is lowered make disco more effective to skill healing? It sure seems like my cu’s were under the effects of poison more often and taking more damage while disco’d.

At any rate, I disco pets whenever skilling if at all possible.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was late I could have done better with this explanation.
YES disco will lower your resists and some skills. ( but NOT HEALING) If something is casting on your pet.... then yes as I said the lower RS means your pet will be poisoned more often. That is why I suggested saving RS until after healing and also NO HPR until healing is done. Anatomy doesn't affect your chance at healing.... that is strictly healing. Anatomy will effect your chance to cure. And if you disco the pet and drop anatomy too low, you wont cure even DP.... it will just wear out.

So disco can actually make healing harder to gain if you aren't paying attention, and just blindly following a set of instructions. I trained a pet the other day it's anatomy started at 7.8. With an anatomy skill that low I dont think your pet will ever cure a poison.

So ONLY disco if it is having the end effect you desire..... you have to understand the mechanics that are affecting your pets skill gains at various stages.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Timberwolf:

Yes, DISPLAYED healing doesn't appear to be lowered.

But, I STILL have not experienced ANY GAINS WHATSOEVER above 110.0 UNLESS THE CU WAS DISCOED, in which case I typically get 0.3 to 1.0 gains in TEN MINUTES of whispering.

All other factors (foes, stats, etc.) were identical other than the presence of the disco and its effects. This was on a pet that was already GM Anatomy when Pet training was introduced, and the scrolls were done early on once training became available.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting Basara,

just last weekend I trained from 103-120 in 4 hrs casting DP in my house.....I discoed when RS went over 100 because if not the spell is resisted too often. I don't remember what healing was at because I wasnt focused on it to decide when to disco
I seriously dont know what to tell ya

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But, I STILL have not experienced ANY GAINS WHATSOEVER above 110.0 UNLESS THE CU WAS DISCOED, in which case I typically get 0.3 to 1.0 gains in TEN MINUTES of whispering.
That is where many of mine sit. I don't use discord. And at this point I do not try to increase it by fighting something specific.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have an alt account (or start an EJ account), get five 1 slot snakes, then train them up to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning. Sick them on your Cu while running Empowerment or Consume Damage on the Cu, and sit back and watch a video on another monitor as the gains fly. The Cu constantly curing Lethal Poison will give it great gains.
This will also be one of the only ways to train Healing on a Triton, since they can have enough Resist skill to be immune to even a 120 Mage's Poison spell.
Won't the CU kill those snakes one by one ??

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was late I could have done better with this explanation.
YES disco will lower your resists and some skills. ( but NOT HEALING) If something is casting on your pet.... then yes as I said the lower RS means your pet will be poisoned more often. That is why I suggested saving RS until after healing and also NO HPR until healing is done. Anatomy doesn't affect your chance at healing.... that is strictly healing. Anatomy will effect your chance to cure. And if you disco the pet and drop anatomy too low, you wont cure even DP.... it will just wear out.
Discording your pet lowers it's Healing skill, it's just not displayed on the Animal Lore gump. For example, pet's normally stop gaining Healing from healing just damage at 90.0 Healing. If you discord the pet though, it can gain past 90.0 Healing from just healing damage, all the way up to 120.0 even. 60+ Healing/60+ Anatomy is usually required to cure Poison.

Won't the CU kill those snakes one by one ??
Nope. I tell the Cu to follow me, and he won't attack them back. If the Cu has Chiv, he also won't use Cleanse By Fire to cure himself if he is following you, he'll always resort to curing with Bandies when following you and not attacking.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Discording your pet lowers it's Healing skill, it's just not displayed on the Animal Lore gump. For example, pet's normally stop gaining Healing from healing just damage at 90.0 Healing. If you discord the pet though, it can gain past 90.0 Healing from just healing damage, all the way up to 120.0 even. 60+ Healing/60+ Anatomy is usually required to cure Poison.

Nope. I tell the Cu to follow me, and he won't attack them back. If the Cu has Chiv, he also won't use Cleanse By Fire to cure himself if he is following you, he'll always resort to curing with Bandies when following you and not attacking.
Good info! Thanks..

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you ever found any documentation to this claim.... because what you are claiming directly contradicts my and others experiences?

Love to read an official explanation somewhere.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you ever found any documentation to this claim.... because what you are claiming directly contradicts my and others experiences?

Love to read an official explanation somewhere.
I've tested it myself. I've raised Cus to 120 Healing before by Discording them and having a Wind Ele or two in Shame beat on them. This was before i had the five snakes.
Healing - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Turkish

Journeyman
I concur with OP, skilling Chiv is a huge pain. I've been discording with Gregorio and with Blood Ele's on an island. I go several cycles of whisper with no gain, but the trend I've learned is to let your pet fully recharge mana just before the whisper. My pet can get a lot more spells off that way. That probably seems obvious to most, but I didn't think of it during the beginning of the training process.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I concur with OP, skilling Chiv is a huge pain. I've been discording with Gregorio and with Blood Ele's on an island. I go several cycles of whisper with no gain, but the trend I've learned is to let your pet fully recharge mana just before the whisper. My pet can get a lot more spells off that way. That probably seems obvious to most, but I didn't think of it during the beginning of the training process.
I saw your White Wyrm at the Baja EM event, beautiful white wyrm. Good job on the training and will get even better when Chiv is 120. It would make Playerskill cry.

Turkish

Journeyman
I saw your White Wyrm at the Baja EM event, beautiful white wyrm. Good job on the training and will get even better when Chiv is 120. It would make Playerskill cry.
Thanks! Much credit to your guidance and the CAH website. I was asking a lot of questions at the beginning to make sure I didn't totally blow it. Only 115 is on resist spells, but that seems to be mostly an aesthetic difference, ha.