• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] So I got this fishermen in need of template advice!

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
She is an old toon and really was just a fisherman to fish with my other fisherman so her side skills were never really worked. ATM I think she looks sumthin like this:

Swords
Tac
Anat
Fishing
Focus
Chiv

Just dusted her off yesterday after realizing that my fishing soul stone (and my smithing stone) are gone off my main account. I think they must have dropped with my last house when I took my summer break. Anyway,time to bring this one back to life and get crackin. At first I was going to drop swords for Archery and maybe pick up healing but kind of thinking about a mage type maybe. I dunno,never been much of a warrior type but Archery does seem to fit within the fishing needs.My question is for template advice.

I am not lookin for a cookie cutter template,maybe something a lil different. She is on my alt account so I can afford to go with something a little less conventional.Wouldn`t mind being able to hunt pirates and other ships but its not a must.

Whats some of the "off the wall" builds some of you guys might have done with your fishermen?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IF you go with a spellcasting template, you have three choices:

1. Having a casting skill and support skill that makes the attack spells do damage. This is your basic Magery/Eval or Mystic/Focus combination.
  2. Magery without Eval, and use summons. Targeting on your ship deck can be problematic, so you'll want to use controlled summons that just pop into existence beside you. This has the two benefits of you being able to heal the controlled summons with spells, and that some of the summons (water ele) can leave to ship to attack the stuff on the water, before it gets close enough to you to melee.
  3. The other spellcasting types. I've heard of Necro-fishers, but not sure how well Spellweaving works, other than casting ethereal voyage and letting pets or summons work on the net spawn and serpents.
For weapon users, archery's probably the best bet. Here's a crazy idea for an archer. Imbue either Snake Slayer (sea serpents) or Water Elemental Slayer on an unmodified Juka Bow, then modify the bow with the hope you get both slayer types on the bow (then add a few more bonuses with imbuing). That way you have a good weapon for net tosses that doesn't require you to switch weapons. Of course, you just go with the horselord.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For weapon users, archery's probably the best bet. Here's a crazy idea for an archer. Imbue either Snake Slayer (sea serpents) or Water Elemental Slayer on an unmodified Juka Bow, then modify the bow with the hope you get both slayer types on the bow (then add a few more bonuses with imbuing).
I pulled a Runed Driftwood Bow in of my first MIB's, and have been doing pretty good with just that. (Even deep sea serpents fall in 3-4 hits.) I'm not at all convinced that slayers are as valuable as other secondary properties - all water critters are vulnerable to energy for example.

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Right on,thanks for the idea`s. Thinking about maybe necro/ss along with arch/tact/anat/healing.... than fishing. Just thinkin bout how to make it a versatile char. Maybe one I can hunt pirates with or merchant ships as well as just fish. Vamp form would work with archery wouldn`t it? If I run in vamp form and leach life,maybe I could dump healing in favor of resist? Or go shade,leach mana and use a max life leach on my bow`s.

Hmmmmmm,got my wheels turnin now.