• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So how important is 120 Parry anyway?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
....because i just accidentally erased most of my parry skill points. I had 120, now I have 28.9 so......

thinking about switching to the following build,

120 Swords / Mace
120 Tactics
110 Anatomy (will drop from 120)
110 Bushido (will drop from 120)
100 Chivalry (will drop from 120)
100 Necromancy
60 Parry (will have to fight chickens from 28.9)

720 total real skill

Is this workable for most things? I will have to switch from using shields to all two handed weapons, but specifically, will dropping anatomy / bushido / chiv have a negative effect (I mean like ruin my sampire negative)?

Thanks, appreciate your input folks.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main issue of dropping those skills will affect the special moves mana cost. You better add 10 more parry or bushido on the jewellery.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hmm, I forgot what skills contributed to that. So, this would get me the 300, correct:

120 Swords / Mace
120 Tactics
120 Bushido (will drop from 120)
100 Anatomy (will drop from 120)
100 Necromancy

720 total real skill

120 swords + 120 Bush + 60 parry = 300. That is the magic number, right?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm, I forgot what skills contributed to that. So, this would get me the 300, correct:

120 Swords / Mace
120 Tactics
120 Bushido (will drop from 120)
100 Anatomy (will drop from 120)
100 Necromancy

720 total real skill

120 swords + 120 Bush + 60 parry = 300. That is the magic number, right?
I'm running this exact build and found it to be a lot better than the one with 100 tactics and 120 chiv I had before.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you play a sampire parry really aren't that important. You could replace it with hiding if u felt like it (to get the 300 combat points), i tried it once and didnt notice any difference.
Where parry is important is imho when you use a template like a swords and shield warrior. or you wanna try a bushido warrior, here the bushido mastery is pretty badass with high parry/bushido.
Not saying that high bushido/parry is bad on a sampire, but usually there aren't room for all the skills.

Ups forgot to say.. You can buy parry to 40, and if u dont wanna train it, just buy 20 ninja or something and voila there is your 300 combat skills..

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends on Masteries. If you use heightened sense and have 120 bushido/ 120 Parry you have a 52% block rate. The mana cost is pretty expensive to keep it up. That with 45 DCI is a good defense.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I run the following.
120 Swords
120 tactics
120 Resist Spells
120 Bushido
100 Necro
80 Chiv (5 On jewelry for 84 bonus to EOO)
60 Parry
Anatomy bonus is minimal to not have to worry about spells.
Still have the 300 bonus.
Take down pretty much everything with ease. Really helps solo caster heavy areas like Seminar spawn or Doom.
I run the Sword level 3 mastery for Onslaught to lower the resistance of whatever weapon damage I’m using.
For casting Vamp form I have a +15 necro book and have a macro to swap arcane boots on.
Maxed out virtues except honesty(working on it) helps make the battle that much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finegold

Journeyman
Wait, what? I dont need 120 parry?

Isn't there some parry chance calc for 2-handed weps that dhows you increases your chance to parry (and therefore take less damage) with 120 skill?

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Wait, what? I dont need 120 parry?

Isn't there some parry chance calc for 2-handed weps that dhows you increases your chance to parry (and therefore take less damage) with 120 skill?
This is from Uoguide. It relates the convergence of Bushido and Parry.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I Parry almost 75% of incoming attacks. Keep in mind you get hit less when you have 120 in your weapon skill. This is why mage weapons are useful, allows casters to avoid some damage. The combination between these, as well as a few well timed evasion macro presses, mean you can take significantly less damage.
Of course, sampires are geared at tanking, which means you still need the means to replenish the damage you DO take because you typically are taking a HUGE amount of damage when you do get hit.
Between my life leech from vampire form, good evasion techniques, and confidence, rarely do I need much assistance.
I always prefer to use a sampire in a group though. I usually have someone trained on me with a mystic mage weaver spamming cleansing wind and gift of renewal. Plus because the get the damage healed bonus they get loot rights.
It’s all about the balance.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run the following.
120 Swords
120 tactics
120 Resist Spells
120 Bushido
100 Necro
80 Chiv (5 On jewelry for 84 bonus to EOO)
60 Parry
Yep this is my sampire build. I used to have 120 anatomy instead of resist but I now run with resist and much prefer it.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are some foes where 120 Parry significantly makes the encounter easier. I find this with Navrey's webs or Rikktor. But overall, yes, you can play with 60 Parry. To hit 300 points for the -10 mana reduction per special move I use 120 weapon skill, 120 Bushido and 60 Parrying. The list of skills that affect the mana reduction is listed here:Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

BTW, hiding doesn't contribute, but Stealth does.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As a reference for folks, check out this Parry calculator:
UO Stratics - Parrying

Personally, I run with 100 Parry on my Sampire and Paladin. It's not quite 120, but I feel it's important enough to be higher than 60. You will get a good block percentage at 100 skill points. Just my two cents.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Unfortunately I’m an old school player who prefers clean real skill over items because everything on my suit is planned to the single digit value. Rarely do I go over cap on anything and I make use of RC and apples to keep debuffs from messing me up.
I keep my lmc at max 55, LrC at 50 ( I’m frugal at spending gold on tithing points). HCI /DCI AT 45
DI 100 SSI 35(double axes and bladed staffs with 185 Stam hit very fast). MR is 20, Stam Regen 18 HPR 10 and I have my str and dex at 150 after armor stats and int is at 40, with a mana pool of about 100~.
My sampire is my prized possession because it took over 200~ hours to accumulate everything for it.
Lots of roofs, exodus, tmaps to get all the armor. Not to mention the 50+ hours doing blackthorn captains.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Unfortunately I’m an old school player who prefers clean real skill over items because everything on my suit is planned to the single digit value. Rarely do I go over cap on anything and I make use of RC and apples to keep debuffs from messing me up.
I keep my lmc at max 55, LrC at 50 ( I’m frugal at spending gold on tithing points). HCI /DCI AT 45
DI 100 SSI 35(double axes and bladed staffs with 185 Stam hit very fast). MR is 20, Stam Regen 18 HPR 10 and I have my str and dex at 150 after armor stats and int is at 40, with a mana pool of about 100~.
My sampire is my prized possession because it took over 200~ hours to accumulate everything for it.
Lots of roofs, exodus, tmaps to get all the armor. Not to mention the 50+ hours doing blackthorn captains.

Edit*: I also have FC 2

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just put on 90 Chivalry at 13000 Karma and I'm not seeing the 87% damage to EoO. If it shows at 20000 Karna, please let me know. However, I use Curse Weapon in big AoE/emergencies so I can't run high karma unless I bust out a lot of boring grinding for 20k+.

Also, I'm missing the 12% damage bonus to CW.

So, I'm missing 49% damagevfrom my temp in order to gain 23% from pure 120 skills, the way the above temp suggests.

Plus, the abysmal parry makes things like GDs and bosses more annoying to tank.

Unless your running +skills to compensate, I don't see this as being effective.

Atm, I cannot find uber jewelry to make up for lack of skills, so I will keep running:

100+20 Swords
100+10 Tact
100 Anat
105+15 Bushi
95+25 Parry
120 Chiv(pure)
100 Nec
Human for 20 Spirit Speak, etc.

150/150/24 - 150/195/40 full resists.

I miss 16% damage from temp on skills, but that is not a game changer and I have 120 Parry.

Going to try running the Hit Farigue/Lower Attack combo for GDs and bosses next. That sounds uber.

I mostly solo but in group I tank.

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another benefit to parry/bushido is Counter Attack. Counter Attack becomes a free attack. It will also set off whatever special you have qued up. I'm lazy and its to much button mashing for me.

I miss the days of no timer on Evasion.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Do you run with single or double handed weapons. You get a Parry bonus from Bushido if it’s double. There are plenty of ways to avoid taking damage.
And if it’s that you can get really damage burst heavy, check your damage output. I don’t run with life leech on my weapons. I use it for more important properties. The vampire leech is enough for me. You have to make sure you’re doing enough damage because of the leech-> the more damage you deal means the more you can take.

SwordofExcalibur

Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, I have moments whet I need to straight tank a boss, joust a single target, or wade into 6+ mobs for WW Bushi bonus.

I would assume game play is similar for all.

Having low Parry is fine if your jousting a heavy target, or wading into level 1-3 champ spawn I find.

But if you want to straight tank a boss with a high Wrestling, without 120 Parry it becomes quite a chore with too much running back and forth in order to get in AI's.

I personally just like to tank high level mobs and straight tank them because I like the challenge. And it's faster on kill speed. If I can spam AI's on a single target without worrying about dodging frequent heavy hits of 60-80 damage, there's a lot less headache. With 120 Parry, stuff like Rikktor or Semidar become a nice, challenging fight with minimal annoyance.

I'm sure it comes down to gameplay and what you want to do, but I like playing a tanky Deeps.

Last edited:

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’m usually alright without. I make frequent use of evasion for situations that are spellcaster heavy. Also if I’m fighting something that hits hard or lowers defense or resists I run with a pure bard in tandem (or two if situation allows) for bard bonus. The HPR and -% damage taken can be invaluable.

I am currently running without type specific slayers due to crafting restrictions so I don’t have dragon or spider slayers etc. once I get my mule finished I’ll be alright.

A wise piece of advice I got (and never listened to) is that a sampire is useless without a good mule to back it up. It’s now showing me a truth, and Im conceding and building one.

SwordofExcalibur

Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I concur.

Seems like a pocket Bard is in serious order along with a Vollum.

Looking into that currently.

Great observation you had.