• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So....A Pirates Life...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has it started, has it not started ? How can A Soulless Seduction begin in April if it's now April 4th and A Pirates Life hasn't started ? Or are the new items on the Black Market A Pirates Life ? How does one become an Artifact Hunter ?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pirates life is live, you hit the plunder beacons to get points for the shields etc, Soul less seduction goes live soon, thats when u use the hooks treasure map, once you have learnt how to read it as part of seduction arc. but basically yes, you are right, the black market new stuff is pirates life

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so basically pirates life is just nothing new, you carry on doing what you did before and get the new items, I started as soon as it was announced in Feb. so have more than enough points, just waiting to be able to read the map

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The newsletter stated Soulless would start sometime mid-April.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hrm, if it's simply the new items that start A Pirates Life, it should have been called A Pirates Things lol..these devs...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yep...according to the Newsletter A Pirate's Life is filled with palm trees, chests, flowers and shields....

Yo ho HO!

1617548274383.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With as many beacons and ships as we have sunk on LS, it sure feels like we are living a pirates life. I'm selling the cargo or items as fast as I get them.

If we need hooks map for the next event, we are going to need a lot of those if each toon needs one to complete the quest.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You really want a pirates life. Out to sea months at a time. Never takeing baths only geting wet from the salt water waves. Never brushing teeth thats if you had any left. Now take a look at your husband or wife and just think they have not done any of that eather. No thanks to a life like that

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You really want a pirates life. Out to sea months at a time. Never takeing baths only geting wet from the salt water waves. Never brushing teeth thats if you had any left. Now take a look at your husband or wife and just think they have not done any of that eather. No thanks to a life like that
To be fair, being out to sea is the only unique thing about it, otherwise your description is just "the life of every human before 1900."

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair, being out to sea is the only unique thing about it, otherwise your description is just "the life of every human before 1900."
bathing-history.jpg

"Around 1,500 BC, the Egyptians placed a high level of importance on the rituals behind bathing, washing, and even cosmetics. This is because they believed that being cleaner put them closer to god (cleanliness is next to godliness, after all).

Egyptians also began to use clay for soap and a scented paste for scrubbing themselves. Essentially, this was the earliest form of washing. They scrubbed their hands, feet, and faces using these materials as well as shaving their hair."

History didn't start at the limit of our memory.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for posting this. Also this documentary is instructive (brief but interesting segment on Medieval soaps):

View attachment 118237

"Around 1,500 BC, the Egyptians placed a high level of importance on the rituals behind bathing, washing, and even cosmetics. This is because they believed that being cleaner put them closer to god (cleanliness is next to godliness, after all).

Egyptians also began to use clay for soap and a scented paste for scrubbing themselves. Essentially, this was the earliest form of washing. They scrubbed their hands, feet, and faces using these materials as well as shaving their hair."

History didn't start at the limit of our memory.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There has been more than one post addressing this issue so I'll just issue a general reply.

I found a book called "Under the Black Flag" to be useful to imagine pirates and their lives. (I originally had posted an Amazon link but it didn't work. Weird.)
There are other books on this I've read too but I can't find the references just now. There are some documentaries too, especially one about the famous Port Royale, Jamaica. (I did some reading around the time the High Seas booster pack came out.)
Let's just say that the reality neither is what you expect if you expect constant hardship nor if you expect romance and independence. Pirates were evil, brutal people whose ships were (on average of course) run very democratically and split the loot pretty fairly. Pirates were (on average) racist and would gleefully sell slaves they found when they raided a slave ship, yet if you were a captive on a slave ship you were rooting for the pirates because while they probably would just keep you enslaved, there was a small chance you'd encounter a crew that would free you. (And a small chance at returning to your life is way better than zero chance of doing so.)

As to UO....Well I would think it could be whatever you imagine it to be. For my part I can't imagine ever being a pirate (neither me nor my characters) so I don't. I will however attack pirates, plunder beacons, and their sea monster guardians until the cows come home and have a good time doing it. (After reading that book I was ready to kill some pirates.) Sometimes the GL RP community would attack merchant ships by saying they were "smugglers." The idea was that we wouldn't attack the crew, just scuttle the ship, remove the "smuggled" goods, make sure the crew could affect repairs on the ship, then leave them there to repair and limp their way back to shore and rethink their career choices. When bundled with traditional pirate hunting it could be pretty fun.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
At first my inner nice guy kept me attacking just pirates but once I figured out that merchants had better loot, well, sorry merchants. I can take the karma hit.
if you are using grapeshot, they will damage the NPCs.
you don't have to kill the merchants.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"ve become somewhat bored with kill/scuttle/rinse/repeat..last night I just went around killing all of the npcs and leaving their ships sailing around lifeless, this includes Dreads.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When my father was in Hospice and dying my Brother, Sisters and I took turns reading him the book he was reading before going to Hospice... It was supposedly the true story of "Black Bart" the "king of the Caribbean Pirates"... supposedly... Anyway, it was called "If a Pirate I must be... " Good read if you want to know what it was like to be a pirate... and why many chose that life. It was by Richard Sanders... Rather enjoyed the tale... except when it was my turn to read... still hate reading out loud... Anyway... eventually took the book home to finish up... we never made it to the end before he passed... I wasn't gonna be left hanging. But it comes from detailed reports and accounts of ships he raided as well as logs from ships he commanded and such... I found it interesting.

But then it was my Papa who got me to watch "Master and Commander"... a movie that I really enjoyed despite thinking he must be crazy for asking me to watch it... didn't think it was something I was gonna care for... but it was a good movie anyway...

Ning

Journeyman
I watched that recently. Right after I finished binging Black Sails again. All this UO piracy lately has put me in a pirate mood. Yo ho ho and all that.

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My "Pirate Lord" is a Legendary Paladin & Archer with a guild tag "Customs Enforcer" and I constantly attack merchantmen around Zento. I consider all the gargoyle merchants to be smugglers so I disable and board and calmly walk amongst the crew proclaiming the most valuable of their goods contraband and claim them in the name of good Queen Zhah. Thus my Karma remains high and my cargo hold full!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The game is a little prejudiced against Gargoyles. You can kill them with no Karma loss, at least that's my experience.