• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smuggler's Edge + Fighting skill

Lord_Rotin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

some questions about smuggler's edge.

Do i need a weapon skill to use it? - Will i have better success, if my hit chance is higher? - Means, do i need dex?

What would be the best template for a thief using that item?

I thought of the following skills:

Stealing, Stealth, Hiding, ninjitsu, Magery, medi, snooping

but if i need a weapon skill i need to significantly change that template.

What would be in your openion a good template on this?

Stealing, Stealth, Hiding, ninjtisu, fencing, tactics, healing, etc...???

Thanks for your help.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't *need* weapon skill, but your chance of hitting your target (and surviving any battle) will greatly increase if you have some skill.

Here's the template I use for the smugglers edge. It's basically a warrior who can't parry but can steal and hide. My thief uses the bulk of my soul stones, His template is probably switched around the most of all my characters.

100 hiding
100 stealth
100 stealing
120 fencing
100 anatomy
100 tactics
100 healing

His suit raises both stealth and stealing to 120.

Lord_Rotin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Black Sun.

I tried it and put 100 fencing on my thief.

I do a lot of hits even kill every earth elemental with this. - But my smuggler´s edge only steals around every 100 hits an item.

Is this correct, or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you.

G

Gunga_Din

The Edge gives a bonus for rare drop based on REAL stealing. 120 off of suit or rings won't help ya.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do a lot of hits even kill every earth elemental with this. - But my smuggler´s edge only steals around every 100 hits an item.
The success rate is low. But as Gunga mentioned, it only uses real skill. I didn't even bother using mine until I hit GM. Even at 120 real skill you only have like a 13% chance to steal a rare item. Hunting with it isn't something you can just run out and do for 30 minutes and expect to bring in a big haul. Generally after a few hours I usually only end up with less than a dozen items.

G

Gunga_Din

The success rate is low. But as Gunga mentioned, it only uses real skill. I didn't even bother using mine until I hit GM. Even at 120 real skill you only have like a 13% chance to steal a rare item. Hunting with it isn't something you can just run out and do for 30 minutes and expect to bring in a big haul. Generally after a few hours I usually only end up with less than a dozen items.
Yea, it does take some time but after i hit 120 real skill, i did notice an increase in drop rate.

My toon is like a RP smuggler.

GM Swords
GM Tactics
GM Magery
GM Poisoning
80 Stealth (with +20 Cloak)
GM Hiding
120 Stealing
40 Focus

Snooping and Lockpicking on stones if needed for anything. I like the poisoning for Assassin title, plus it comes in handy when i'm killing shinobi :)

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thief fighter

120 mace fighting
120 stealing(with +60)
100 resist spell
100 tactics
60 chivalry
60 anotomy
40 magery
55 necromancy
55 spritspeak
70 forcus

I cast horrific beast and fighting.
Horrific beast have HP regeneration 20,so not need healing.
But not work spritspeak :(
It is possible to improve it.

E

Eslake

I picked up the edge several days ago and trained my thief in Despise with it.. The results ;

it is a Skinning Knife.
30% SSI
Swords (Use Best Weapon)
255 durability (cannot be powdered)

With 120 stealing, it attempts to steal from the reponds and lizardmen every 8-12 hits.
For some reason, vs Earth Elementals it attempts to steal far Less Often.

About 5% of the successful thefts are special items.
The lanterns are quite rare, maybe 5% of the special item count, and I have yet to get a smugger's toolbox.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eslake if your looking for the specials you need to hang at spawn areas ...if you do not like to venture to felucca then go to serrado in tokuno or/ and ishenar spawns they seems to yeild way more specials when using the smuggler's edge weapon..

S

Serine

i returned to uo not so long ago , and i been testing smugglers edge and after 15 hours at Ilshenar champs spawns i havent got any lanterns , last year i would have gotten around 10 lanterns . They removed the lanterns as drop from smugglers edge ?