• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smoot's 20th Anniversary UO experience

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My personal Highlights of 20th live party.

Richard Garriott & Starr Long in Person!
Garriott.png
they didnt just make an appearance, were very approachable and hung out until late into the night.

Mesanna was an exceptional host.
20170923_134725.jpg
I jokingly asked Mesanna to sign my chest, but when she said "ok take that shirt off" i kinda had to. Of course Bennu had to post the full picture on Twitter... so might as well share here.
Bennu (@EM_Bennu) | Twitter
mesanna.png

If i didnt ask, i would have heard it from everyone im in discord with for the next... forever.
The change in approach to handling multiboxing makes perfect sense with the new Endless Journey coming, which is really why i asked about it. Keeping that door open would only widen the gap between "normal" players and those maximizing reward by any means possible. So no groups of 50 accounts making legendaries even less worth looting than they already are. (yes, it would happen)

We'll see how it plays out, but hopefully the change will encourage players to go out and actually do content themselves more, rather that just buying it off a bot-vendor.
See Mesanna's live response here:

Seeing people ive talked with for years but never met was great. (not being able to just "log out" when Longtooth's comments got relentless, or Nails was going off on one of his rambling tangents was not)
Me and Nails at the barbeque:
nails.png

Had an excellent Hibachi grill dinner with Longtooths, Merlin, and Bennu, but really hanging out at the hotel and just talking was the best. This doesnt mean Bennu is off the hook for complaints after the next Atlantic event boss malfunctions! but did give me alot more insight into the dedication and love EMs have for the game. We always have to remember that stratics mods, EMs, that guy who just "stole" your spawn or you killed in fel are real people and should be treated as such.

I had a great weekend, and probably only got to meet half the people i wanted too. just not enough time. I vote to make this an annual event. had a blast, looking forward to the 25th and will enjoy every minute i'm logged into Ultima Online until then.

Thankyou to everyone playing the game we've all loved for these 20 years.

---- Smoot

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Our "Five Guys Burger & Fries" dinner was pretty amusing too!

:pancakes:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
YES Love to put faces to names....you definitely do NOT look like smoot :/ lol

Thank you for sharing some of your pictures, and the video....will be nice to see them finally take serious action against the multi-boxers!!!!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YES Love to put faces to names....you definitely do NOT look like smoot :/ lol

Thank you for sharing some of your pictures, and the video....will be nice to see them finally take serious action against the multi-boxers!!!!
funny how you get names. "Smoot" was orginally nothing more than a character I made to do my trades on, when you had to sit at brit bank to get anything sold. To pass the time i thought id also take up fishing in the brit canal, so i named him after "Frank Burt Smoot", a very old artist / fisherman at a fishing club i went to as a kid. Used that name for my stratics account and didnt think much of it, because i rarely used the site back then. So it just kinda stuck even tho i probably wouldnt have chosen that name if i knew it would be what everyone would know me by 10 years later.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was about to say how disappointed i am about not seeing a post about any naked despise runs... This picture will suffice.

Great to hear talks of them doing something about the multibot crap. Actually hearing a lot of good talk from various posts about the future. Hopefully they can pull it all off with out any hiccups. :)

Thanks for sharing bud.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nice Post! @Smoot

IT Looks that i need to Cross the Atlantic if this Game makes another 5 rounds and meet you Guys in person

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice Post! @Smoot

IT Looks that i need to Cross the Atlantic if this Game makes another 5 rounds and meet you Guys in person
possibly worth a trip! (ok maybe part of a much longer U.S. trip)

Its logical that the live party was held in Virginia USA because thats of course where the Broadsword headquarters are located, but yes would be nice if the devs could do something for Europe or Japan. Many did travel relatively far (people there from west coast, south, all over but yes mostly USA)

Who knows, theres been talk of player organized meetups and one could always be organized in Europe or Asia. Maybe mesanna or a few of the devs could even attend if invited. i think that could be very realistic, but someone would of course have to organize it.

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for letting me cut in line, Smoot :) hehe and that was funny when you took your shirt off to be signed lol