• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Smoothness (lack thereof) of the Client in regards to PvP

ATLPvPer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, I am trying out the new client, the interface is much better looking and overall I have not found an abundance of glaring bugs.
In my few days of using it, here is what I have discovered in regards to PvP.
The client can do almost everything that UOassist can.
But it can't do everything.

First, the new client cannot use a mousewheel up/down as a macro. I use mouse up for cure potions and mouse down for heal potions, so this is crucial if I were to use the enhanced client for PvP.
It needs to be added that a mouse wheel can function as a macro. Right now I have a Logitech G500 mouse, and the third and fifth buttons work fine, well, almost fine. The mouse wheel though is not an option at all.
I have one difficulty using the mouse's additional buttons.
If I have them casting a spell, for example, the cursor will appear and then disappear almost immediately, and I will get the text in the bottom left that I must wait to perform another action, as if it is trying to do additional things. The mouse button is not set to anything else, the macro is void of anything else other than this spell, it is some kind of error.
Next problem, when I'm casting spells in quick succession, which is crucial to successful PvP, it eventually stops casting. For example, if I am casting magic arrow then nether bolt, eventually it will simply stop casting, as if it can't keep up with the speed of casting. I'll keep hitting my macros and nothing happens. In a second or two I can cast again. This will ruin a fight in short notice. Seconds matter in PvP.
Now an issue with the new targeting, that perhaps is easily solved, but nonetheless deserves some feedback. I just switched (moments ago, actually) from Legacy targeting to the new targeting, because I had no choice if I wanted to make a mount macro. (a mounting command should be added!) Now, I'll cast a spell, one I've made a macro for, that has NO targeting macro and that I do not have on my hotkey bars. Most of the time, it will just target me and I have no choice. Sometimes the cursor comes up and I can choose my target, as I should be able to. This is random. Do I have to take every macro onto a hotbar and change its target to cursor, if I wish to use this targeting? Very frustrating.

The spell casting stop is the killer for me, otherwise the client is nearly playable for PvP. Keep updating and I look forward to a patch fixing some of these issues.
Thank you!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For the time being I would suggest a program that allows you to map the mouse buttons and/or mouse wheel to a keypress (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-whatever), then map the potion use or whatever else to those keys either in the macro system or a hotbar you can shove out of the way.

It's a workaround at best, but at least it's an option.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi, I am trying out the new client, the interface is much better looking and overall I have not found an abundance of glaring bugs.
In my few days of using it, here is what I have discovered in regards to PvP.
The client can do almost everything that UOassist can.
But it can't do everything.

First, the new client cannot use a mousewheel up/down as a macro. I use mouse up for cure potions and mouse down for heal potions, so this is crucial if I were to use the enhanced client for PvP.
It needs to be added that a mouse wheel can function as a macro. Right now I have a Logitech G500 mouse, and the third and fifth buttons work fine, well, almost fine. The mouse wheel though is not an option at all.
I have one difficulty using the mouse's additional buttons.
If I have them casting a spell, for example, the cursor will appear and then disappear almost immediately, and I will get the text in the bottom left that I must wait to perform another action, as if it is trying to do additional things. The mouse button is not set to anything else, the macro is void of anything else other than this spell, it is some kind of error.
Next problem, when I'm casting spells in quick succession, which is crucial to successful PvP, it eventually stops casting. For example, if I am casting magic arrow then nether bolt, eventually it will simply stop casting, as if it can't keep up with the speed of casting. I'll keep hitting my macros and nothing happens. In a second or two I can cast again. This will ruin a fight in short notice. Seconds matter in PvP.
Now an issue with the new targeting, that perhaps is easily solved, but nonetheless deserves some feedback. I just switched (moments ago, actually) from Legacy targeting to the new targeting, because I had no choice if I wanted to make a mount macro. (a mounting command should be added!) Now, I'll cast a spell, one I've made a macro for, that has NO targeting macro and that I do not have on my hotkey bars. Most of the time, it will just target me and I have no choice. Sometimes the cursor comes up and I can choose my target, as I should be able to. This is random. Do I have to take every macro onto a hotbar and change its target to cursor, if I wish to use this targeting? Very frustrating.

The spell casting stop is the killer for me, otherwise the client is nearly playable for PvP. Keep updating and I look forward to a patch fixing some of these issues.
Thank you!

After tons of testing, we managed to find the problem you mention in regards to casting with the mousewheel for last target.

The problem is, for instance, if you cast MA - netherbolt:

How it is supposed to work:

cast magic arrow -

mouse scroll up

cast nether bolt -

mouse scroll up

cast magic arrow -

mouse scroll up

cast nether bolt -

mouse scroll up.

What actually happens, is casting them back to back, you lsoe your cursor when casting, and it feels like you over cast right?

When you mouse scroll for last target up "one click" do not scroll up several times, just barely move the mousewheel and it works fine, much like using a key as last target.

The problem is, when you scroll the mouse wheel up several "clickls" or rotations, the EC client is reading this as

magic arrow

last target

last target

last target

last target

last target

netherbolt

And for some reason, because you essentially "spam" last target, it is like to much is going on at once, and the next spell cancels. There is a thread i started about this and ea/m Dev BTENG was looking into it, but never came back to it unfortunately, he essentially said, there are lots of options for targeting in EC, choose a different one, and listed what he used =9

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=194239

As for your problems with the new targeting system, from what i saw, there is some sort of spell queueing going on that stores a starget, or last target, and "auto casts" on that target (why you were nuking yourself) it is confusing at best, and most people just blow smoke at me when i tlak about it cause no mages use the ec for pvp, just pvm, where timing like this does not matter.

If they fix the mouse wheel last target "overcasting" i'd be more then happy to just use legacy targeting.

ATLPvPer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't use the mouse wheel for last target, I use a 5th mouse button??

I'm pretty sure I only hit it once. I'm not sure that is the issue.