• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Smithing vs Tailoring

Matraes

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it just me or has anyone noticed that Leather armour gives better base resists than platemail. also Barbed grants better resists than valorite. essentially making Platemail inferior to leather... which just is not right..

I am after a justification for this.
The reasons i bring this up is

leather has a much lower str req
Leather is medible
Leather is stealthable
and in most MMO's Leather is considered inferior to plate for raw protection

Granted Plate does have a good durability.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I make mainly leather armor for exactly these reasons my smith is mainly used for making weapons
I think they should add 5 base resists to all metal armor to make it more worthwhile to make that or lower leather by 5 it really does not make sence I gave up trying to figure it out long ago smiths used ti be popular and wanted by everyone now they are the ugly step child of uo and other than some of the recipes almost not worth having thats just my opinion but they are not even close to as usfull as they used to be

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure where you're getting this.

Barbed is 12 total resists; Valorite is 13.

Both leather & plate have 15 base resists.

The resist spread of Leather+barbed, though, is a little more balanced than that of valorite, before applying the exceptional bonus.