• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Smith Recipe Question

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege question...I'm wanting to acquire recipes for a smith that isn't into doing quests or fighting monsters - don't have the time on any of 3 chars to do it so I'll need to buy them. All is good with that.

Inventory on recipes is zero and was wondering what the like 10 best ones to get for starters is for whatever particular reason based upon experiences from smiths reading this. I do need a cold forged blade recipe. Like in chat the other day someone was asking why nobody stocked bone machetes and someone else wanted to get twinkling scimitars and couldn't find any.

Starting a new vendor - any price ranges would be good also. Thanks to all and good smithing.

Jack Nickelson

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bone Machete isn't a "physical" recipe - you do a quest, and the character that does the quest "learns" the recipe by having it activated for the character. The only way that there "might" be a physical recipe is if it comes from a Treasure Chest, and I've not heard of anyone finding one that way.

However, the quest is fairly easy for a non-combat character (items needed can be gathered by a different character and handed to them).

Recipes that are good (can't think of 10 total, let alone 10 good smith ones):

Smith
1. Twinkling Scimitar: +6% DCI that stacks with runic values.
2. Silver-etched Mace: Undead slayer, without having to imbue or play runic roulette.
3. Butcher's War Cleaver: rarely used as a weapon, the BWC allows you to use it to cut monster/animal corpses and get cut leather directly into your backpack, instead of having to go through the intermediate step of looting the pile of hides from the corpse and using scissors to cut them down. (note that the normal skinning knife also has this functionality, but the skinning knife has to be in hand to do this, while you can use the BWC from your pack and not have to change weapons)
4. Knight's War Cleaver: Combined with mid-range runics and ore, is the primary source of relic fragments on many shards, as an exceptionally crafted one will have 220-230% intensity PLUS whatever the runic hammer adds.

Tailor
5. Stitcher's Mittens: High LRC plus an extra +10 healing.
6. Song-woven Mantle: an extra +10 music for cramped Bard/xxx templates. Probably beneath the notice of many Siege corpse thieves, from its limited usefulness and stats.
7. Spell-woven britches: +10 Meditation

Other recipes:
8. Scrapper's compendium (inscription - comes from Tinker quests and T-maps)
9. Pendant of the Magi: (tinker): Nice properties, but without any resists is very hard to work into a suit on shards that have insurance, let alone Siege where it can be looted. Would be best on a non-combat character, or for RP.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bone Machete isn't a "physical" recipe - you do a quest, and the character that does the quest "learns" the recipe by having it activated for the character. The only way that there "might" be a physical recipe is if it comes from a Treasure Chest, and I've not heard of anyone finding one that way.
I can show you one on Europa. :D (Problem with that recipe is probably, that most t-hunters wont recognize it as super-rare, becourse it is listed as common in most lists.) (Not to mention that mine is already reserved for later use.)

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Appreciate the feedback, not only on this thread but the one where I had imbuing questions. Where might I go to try this bone machete quest? Smith store in a particular town? Thanks.

Jack Nickelson